Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Hi I have been using my iPhone with my Vodafone in the UK but I have come to Bombay ,India and have put a local sim card in the phone.

I have noticed that when I turn the phone on I get ...searching....... then it goes to like No service for a like 3 to 5 seconds and then I get the vodafone signal.

People who are using a iPhone 5 in India on vodafone please can you check the same and let me know if you are getting a similar thing with the network.

Thanks.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Hi I have been using my iPhone with my Vodafone in the UK but I have come to Bombay ,India and have put a local sim card in the phone.

I have noticed that when I turn the phone on I get ...searching....... then it goes to like No service for a like 3 to 5 seconds and then I get the vodafone signal.

People who are using a iPhone 5 in India on vodafone please can you check the same and let me know if you are getting a similar thing with the network.

Thanks.

Does it work though?!

mustu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yes it does very well!

Can someone please try this and let me!

Thanks

ankitbhardwaj89

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
I do face the same thing on my iPhone. Not sure if it is a problem from vodafone side and or if the phone itself.

Moreover, my signal goes off randomly and then No Service and then back again.. it happens like within 7-8 seconds..

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012

Thanks.

It happens for me as well on AT&T in the US. Turn phone on, it searches, then goes to no service, then after a few seconds it shows the AT&T signal. I think it normal for the phone to do this upon powering on or coming from airplane mode.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012

My iPhone 5 (originally on Vodafone UK) never use to do it.

Then got it unlocked and now using on o2 UK. It now does that "searching, no service" story every time when loading up. Only shows no service for a second before switching to the o2 sign

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
My iPhone 5 (originally on Vodafone UK) never use to do it.

Then got it unlocked and now using on o2 UK. It now does that "searching, no service" story every time when loading up. Only shows no service for a second before switching to the o2 sign

Mine does that. It's normal.

masti13harsh

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2012
I am also using iPhone 5 16gb black and vodafone as my carrier(from delhi).. I also face the same thing and its normal:)

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Yes the same thing on AT&T in the US as well. I think it is briefly for just 2 seconds and not that bad.

A question for those on Airtel and iPhone 5.
What do you see on your phone - is it 4G or 3G. What's the speed on a normal day? I know it won't latch to LTE.

Here for reference on AT&T, it goes to as high as 45Mbps when on LTE, about 15 Mbps when on 4G. I haven't seen it drop to 3G yet so can't say.

Can some one write about the speeds we get on airtel and Vodafone. I wanted to make a choice which one to use.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
it's normal as it can get i always get searching then no service and then 3-4 secs signal when i switch carriers like you

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I was hoping for some assistance from some nice Indians :)

I'm visiting Mumbai and Goa next week from the USA and I am bringing my unlocked iPhone 5. Someone has arranged for me to have a Rs 250 prepaid nano-SIM from airtel when I arrive.
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1) Is it as easy as inserting the new Airtel SIM and all works well? Or are some setting changes needed in the iPhone?

2) I visited the Airtel website, but I cannot figure out how to pick a specific prepaid plan. The page doesn't explain how many SMS/minutes/data is included in various plans, or how to select the plan I want. Can someone explain how I do this? What plans are available prepaid? I am traveling for 2 weeks in India.

Thanks!

isaket

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
my answer

I was hoping for some assistance from some nice Indians :)

I'm visiting Mumbai and Goa next week from the USA and I am bringing my unlocked iPhone 5. Someone has arranged for me to have a Rs 250 prepaid nano-SIM from airtel when I arrive.
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1) Is it as easy as inserting the new Airtel SIM and all works well? Or are some setting changes needed in the iPhone?

2) I visited the Airtel website, but I cannot figure out how to pick a specific prepaid plan. The page doesn't explain how many SMS/minutes/data is included in various plans, or how to select the plan I want. Can someone explain how I do this? What plans are available prepaid? I am traveling for 2 weeks in India.

Thanks!

Go to prepaidweb.airtelworld.in have an account there for your airtel mobile number , using that you can subscribe to and know various Airtel plans.
Also you can know the detail at airtel.in just choose the respective circle( state of your visit and get various details ) for any more query you can contact me at isaket@me.com, I am a happy airtel user and an apple fan from India.
Have a nice day and feel free to ask.

AngadP

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
New SIM activation

I got an iphone from UK which i was using there with O2. Its an unlocked phone.
In India i got a new sim from Vodafone. Now even though they say the number has been activated, the phone still shows No Service. Is there anything that needs to be done in the phone to make this work ?

Thanks

RedVirus

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
I am Airtel's Hyderabad network and it does not happen to me! May be you have a faulty SIM.

skyperbon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
All over the WWW...
Searching -> No Signal and then getting the signal is not a problem with the phone or the SIM. It happens to me whenever I turn on my phone.

Even my friend who has the iPhone 5 has the same outcome.

I don't think there is any problem with it. Might just take time to connect to the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.