Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I haven't understood this at all. Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad? The mini is slightly under double the size of the iPhone, which isn't that big. Full sized iPad is about 3 times the size. Was the full sized too big or something? Or was it apple being greedy with Amazon leading the way with a cheap 7" tablet?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Well, this is apple forum so you will see more love than hate toward any apple products coming out.

Ipad mini, imo is a lot less capable than Ipad in many ways but people seem to look pass that because of its weight. Apple is not competing with amazon or google for cheap 7" market. Ipad mini eats away sales of their own full-sized Ipad.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
It's new, it looks good, it's lighter, it's cheaper, and it runs the same apps. I prefer the original size iPad, but it's not a surprise that the smaller iPad is so popular.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Well, this is apple forum so you will see more love than hate toward any apple products coming out.

Ipad mini, imo is a lot less capable than Ipad in many ways but people seem to look pass that because of its weight. Apple is not competing with amazon or google for cheap 7" market. Ipad mini eats away sales of their own full-sized Ipad.

Less capable? No. More portable? Yes.

How is the Mini eating sales away from the iPad? If someone wants a 9.7 screen, they go iPad. If they want something smaller, they go Mini. The Mini's sales are good now because it's new. Something new is going to get picked over an iPad 3S any day of the week. Either way, Apple is still making at least $150 profit per 16 GB Mini sold while getting $184 per 16 GB iPad. No matter what people buy, they're still making a hefty profit.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
The mini nailed the proper size for portability. When I first imagined the idea of having an iPad, I really thought I'd take it everywhere with me but the size is just a tad bit too big for that. The mini however is the perfect tablet size. Small enough to fit in your pocket and large enough that you don't have to navigate website the way you do with an iPhone.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
If I get a new iPad, I'm ditching my iPad 3 in favor of a Mini (2nd gen with Retina display, natch). They're so much nicer to hold and a hell of a lot more portable.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I haven't understood this at all. Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad? The mini is slightly under double the size of the iPhone, which isn't that big. Full sized iPad is about 3 times the size. Was the full sized too big or something? Or was it apple being greedy with Amazon leading the way with a cheap 7" tablet?

Keep thinking because it is none of your incorrect answers.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012

The mini is less than twice the size of an iPhone? But the regular iPad is 3 times the size? Have you ever seen any of these products?

Gotoma

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
The mini is less than twice the size of an iPhone? But the regular iPad is 3 times the size? Have you ever seen any of these products?

I guess it's just a math fail, he thinks that an 8" screen is twice as big as a 4" one (the correct answer is 4x since those values are measured diagonally).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

You're not thinking correctly there. :)

The Mini is small, but not THAT small. If you only took the screen part of the iPhone 4/4S (note, not the top or bottom part or the sides) and put them side by side, it would be six of them. That's a lot of screen to use.

I use it as if it were a full scale iPad. Have I ever used a full scaled iPad? No, but this feels like one to ME.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Mini is a full blown tablet with extremely capable camera, very good GPU and fine CPU (not the best, but just fine and much better than any Atom). It has full stereo, very good speakers, It also has 40% larger screen compared to 7 inch android offerings and only slightly more expensive as compared based on screen size. In addition, it is very light, lighter than Nexus 7 despite having 40% more screen size. Now you understand why.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
OP, you've got it all wrong. The iPad mini is more than just "double the size of an iPhone". You get the full unadulterated iPad experience in a thinner, lighter, and more portable form factor. Although its not cheaper by much, it's enough to where is not as expensive as the full sized iPad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
I updated the title to make it less ambiguous and helpful to the membership scanning this forum

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Because it is cheaper, lighter, more portable, and I don't feel that I'm losing anything in comparison to its big brother. Many people feel the same way, though not everybody.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is it really twice as popular? It's new so are you saying twice as many iPad minis have sold than all other iPad full size models? Either way, it is popular because it is indeed really nice to hold. It's easy for some to pocket and most of all, the price is nicer.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
By definition all corporations are greedy, including Amazon. Did you know that on Kindles (and Nooks for that matter) you can't download free books or apps without having a valid credit card on file? Apple at least lets you download free items without having a credit card attached to the Apple ID being used. Also, Amazon prices its tablets low and hopes to profit by selling you stuff, including an Amazon Prime membership.

Less capable? No. More portable? Yes.
This.

The mini nailed the proper size for portability. When I first imagined the idea of having an iPad, I really thought I'd take it everywhere with me but the size is just a tad bit too big for that. The mini however is the perfect tablet size. Small enough to fit in your pocket and large enough that you don't have to navigate website the way you do with an iPhone.
Yes, the iPad Mini fits in pockets, pocket books and fits better in a lot of camera bags.

Also, the Mini is easier to hold for reading books.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I find my mini a great size a very good screen for almost everything and it certainly seems fast enough for anything that I do.
If/When it has a Retina screen I think the questions will be why buy a full size iPad other than as a "laptop" type replacement which will sit on a desktop most of the time.

I find I carry my mini most of the time - it is great if I go out to lunch by my self and can carry it in my pocket where a full size would be more of a pain for that.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
price is the main reason. The difference between $329 and $499 is a lot to most consumers...over half the price of the mini.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

Why do you define competition and changes/advancements in technology as "greedy"? Please explain that.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

This baffles me have you never carried a laptop with you sure the iPad isn't the size of a deck of cards but it sure is a hell of a lot more portable then most laptops.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
This baffles me have you never carried a laptop with you sure the iPad isn't the size of a deck of cards but it sure is a hell of a lot more portable thAn most laptops.

Some laptops are more portable than others. The iPad mini is more portable than an iPad.

To travel with a laptop you really needed a laptop bag or backpack. The iPad mini is so small and light you can carry it like a notepad in a portfolio case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.