Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macuser1066

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
I am going to have an operation which will leave in the hospital for a week or so and then semi incapacitated for 3 months. I have had each iteration of the iPad, including the latest retinal display. I generally don't find the weight too much in normal circumstances, but have found that I can't use it to read in bed or while lying down.

I was wondering whether those who have the Mini find it easy to use in that situation. I was considering buying a 16G Wifi only Mini for use during this period of incapacity. Would appreciate any comments. I expect that the screen will not be the best. Normally I use my iPad for everything and it goes everywhere with me. The Mini I envision using primarily for reading or downloading the occasional movie from Netflix.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The Mini works well for reading in bed in my opinion.

Remember you can buy it now, use it and if it doesn't work for you, you can always return it.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I find my Mini great for reading books etc. On websites it is fine for general reading of the screens but I find I have to expand the display to read some of the articles - this maybe a function of size rather than sharpness. In general I find it a great tool. I don't have young eyes but again don't really have an issue except for some web sites.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I find my Mini great for reading books etc. On websites it is fine for general reading of the screens but I find I have to expand the display to read some of the articles - this maybe a function of size rather than sharpness. In general I find it a great tool. I don't have young eyes but again don't really have an issue except for some web sites.
For the websites, it's a size issue on the fonts, not sharpness.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
For the websites, it's a size issue on the fonts, not sharpness.

see, I feel the exact opposite....it is an issue of sharpness and not size. I honestly have less issue on a smaller iphone 5 screen.

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
the iPad mini weighs about the same as a thick paperback book and I love using it to read in bed. But, if you will be required to lie flat on your back, trying to hold it above your face for any extended period will be difficult and awkward, but not any more so than that thick paperback.

If you will be able to slightly incline your upperbody with pillows or the adjustable bed, you can prop the iPad on your chest and use it just fine.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I hadn't considered a floor stand, but am terribly near sighted and I don't think it would serve. I like the idea of it being the weight of a thick paperback, as I will primarily use for reading. Thanks all for the thoughtful comments. I appreciate your input

You have one of the new iPads right? Why not save your dough and get a nice flip case that acts as a stand and use the iPad for movies/apps/games and invest less than $100 and get a Kindle or e-reader for reading. The new e-Readers, I believe, are even lighter than the iPad Mini and you could save over $200 going this route.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
You have one of the new iPads right? Why not save your dough and get a nice flip case that acts as a stand and use the iPad for movies/apps/games and invest less than $100 and get a Kindle or e-reader for reading. The new e-Readers, I believe, are even lighter than the iPad Mini and you could save over $200 going this route.

Agree with above. The Kindle Paperwhite with the lighted screen and sharp text is an excellent device for reading.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I also read books on my Mini every night in bed and it is perfect. I alternate reading with watching the first season of Downton Abbey on the Mini and it is gorgeous. I have an iPad 3 also, but if I had to go into hospital, the Mini would go with me.

Hope this helps with your decision and comes with my best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland

This if you do a lot of book reading. I have the iPad 4 which I love for surfing, photo editing, gaming etc. but I read almost exclusively on my Kindle paperwhite in the evening and it is a much better tool for book reading. My missus has the iPad mini which is a great device and much easier for holding than the full size and it's a more realistic device for book reading than the full size iPad even with the lack of retina bit I would still always used the Kindle for books.
If you only want a single device, the iPad mini would seem the obvious choice.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I think personally that the mini is the best iPad out to date especially when it comes to reading its perfect and for playing games on too.

its ok to watch things on too but i would prefer to use the 9'7inch version to watch things on.

Just go and buy one you will love it.

The only time that i use the 9'7 inch is when i watching a movie or tv series and that it pretty much

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
i get a bit of sleep arm but its me and my position. the mini itself is so easy to hold.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've not found the mini to be an issue any circumstance, i.e., standing, sitting, on my bed etc. I'd say it will provide less fatigue then the larger heavier iPad

Macuser1066

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to go for the Mini. I did previously purchase a kndle which I ended up giving away to a family member. I preferred the flexibility of having Barnes & Noble, Kindle and iBooks. I scheduled surgery on Febuary 11th (total knee) and will buy a Mini with Wifi only prior to that date. It should work fine and if by any chance it gets taken/lost, I'd rather lose $300 than over a $1000 with a 64G LTE iPad 4!

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
I got a Mini for Christmas and am just finishing my second book. Love it for reading in bed and the night mode (black page w/ white letters). I do have a Otterbox Defender on it which I know defeats the purpose of small light weight, but it is easier to grip with the non-slip rubber sides and lip of the screen. And if it falls on the hardwood floor if I've fallen asleep reading it's protected. Pillows seem to grip it better too. Good luck with your surgery.

Misery would be a good movie to watch while you're recuperating.;)

Edit: The snap on cover of the Defender also doubles as stand to hold the Mini in vertical or horizontal positions and different angles.

Last edited:

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
see, I feel the exact opposite....it is an issue of sharpness and not size. I honestly have less issue on a smaller iphone 5 screen.

^+1
But the Mini's size/weight still make it the best choice for certian situations until it gets retina.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio

Bingo!!! it is a shame that i can read the text easier on my iphone 5 than i could on the mini i had....

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I am going to have an operation which will leave in the hospital for a week or so and then semi incapacitated for 3 months. I have had each iteration of the iPad, including the latest retinal display. I generally don't find the weight too much in normal circumstances, but have found that I can't use it to read in bed or while lying down.

I was wondering whether those who have the Mini find it easy to use in that situation. I was considering buying a 16G Wifi only Mini for use during this period of incapacity. Would appreciate any comments. I expect that the screen will not be the best. Normally I use my iPad for everything and it goes everywhere with me. The Mini I envision using primarily for reading or downloading the occasional movie from Netflix.

The mini wins hands down for use in the lying down position. The extra weight will make the retina display of the iPad 3/4 look not so great when it crashes onto your face when it slips from your tired hands after an hour or two... ;)

whoRichard

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
In my honest opinion, I believe that the iPad mini is the PERFECT form factor in terms of size and ergonomics. And also, the uses that you are planning to use the Mini for are exactly what I use mine for and I love the experience with mine. I've used both the Full sized iPad and also the first iteration of the Kindle Fire and I felt that one was too small and the other too large, but Mini is just right:cool:.

On another note, good luck with your operation :)

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I moved from iPad 3 to the mini, and love it! The size is great! I watch tv on it at night, on a nightstand! I carry it to work, and it is so light and easy to carry around for me. My day one iPad 3 had so much discoloration on the screen, I sent it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.