Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hi,

I have just received my new black iphone 5 from O2 (UK).

It has come to my attention that the black iphone 5 is very prone to scratches and looks terrible within a few days.

I am so disappointed, I paid a premium for the iphone 5 over a SIII because I wanted the premium feel of the aluminium finish.

Are there any other purists out there? How have you overcome this issue without wrapping you iphone in plastic or some bulky case?

If there really is no solution, I may try to swap it for a white model, I wonder if anyone has some pointers on how to achieve this?

The phone is still in its factory seals until I can figure out what to do, I hope someone can help out soon.

Thanks in advance,

Dot

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Hi,

It has come to my attention that the black iphone 5 is very prone to scratches and looks terrible within a few days.

I am so disappointed, I paid a premium for the iphone 5 over a SIII because I wanted the premium feel of the aluminium finish.

Are there any other purists out there? How have you overcome this issue without wrapping you iphone in plastic or some bulky case?

If there really is no solution, I may try to swap it for a white model, I wonder if anyone has some pointers on how to achieve this?

The phone is still in its factory seals until I can figure out what to do, I hope someone can help out soon.

Thanks in advance,

Dot

If you suffer from severe OCD and tend to drag your phones against abrasive surfaces - yes. If you're normal - no.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I'd say try it naked for a few days...see if you really have an issue with the wear of the phone. Some people report that they've been naked with their iPhone since day one and it looks flawless.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Best thing to do is to buy a sleeve case for whenever the phone is being carried around in a pocket etc. When you're actually using it however, just take it out of the sleeve and use it 'as is'. That's what I've been doing with mine and it's still 100% flawless.

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I love macrumours :) really appreciate your speedy responses.

Best thing to do is to buy a sleeve case for whenever the phone is being carried around in a pocket etc. When you're actually using it however, just take it out of the sleeve and use it 'as is'. That's what I've been doing with mine and it's still 100% flawless.

This is what I was considering. What sleeve do you use? Can you recommend a good quality sleeve with minimal bulk?

Cheers,

Dot

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Hi,

I'm sorry, how has this "come to your attention" Has it actually happened to you? My 5 is flawless without a case.

Why? Because of something you read on the internet?

What issue? it's a device that's used daily, and it's pretty insane to expect something you're handeling multiple times a day NOT to show signs of use.

You mean bring it into a store and expect them to switch it out for you because you've seen manufacturing defents on it?

Oh, I'm sorry, you haven't even opened it yet? When I was a kid people said there were monsters under my bed. Did I avoid looking under the bed for fear of what might be under there or did I go by my own experience to verify if it was true?

Good luck, I think you'll need it.

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I'm sorry, how has this "come to your attention" Has it actually happened to you? My 5 is flawless without a case.

Why? Because of something you read on the internet?

What issue? it's a device that's used daily, and it's pretty insane to expect something you're handeling multiple times a day NOT to show signs of use.

You mean bring it into a store and expect them to switch it out for you because you've seen manufacturing defents on it?

Oh, I'm sorry, you haven't even opened it yet? When I was a kid people said there were monsters under my bed. Did I avoid looking under the bed for fear of what might be under there or did I go by my own experience to verify if it was true?

Good luck, I think you'll need it.

That was an unhelpful and useless reply if ever I've seen one.

Is this what you forum folk call trolling?

Gr8fulMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
If you're so against using a case, you should look into Ghost Armor. Basically a screen protector that cover the entire phone. They have kiosks in many malls here in the US where they'll install it for you. Or you can go to their website, order the full-phone covering & install it yourself (they apparently provide detailed installation instructions for DIY'ers).

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I don't think my iPhone has got one single scratch from my using it in my hands. Scratches generally occur when you place it on things (the ground, a table, your pocket), so just be careful when you arent handling the thing or like others said, slip it into a carrying case or slip case.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I took delivery of my iPhone 5 from O2 in early November.

I purchased a SENA Ultraslim Case Pouch from Amazon. I've used Sena cases on all my iPhones. They are beautifully made of soft leather with a soft velvet lining. So far (touch wood!) my 'phone is as pristine as the day it was delivered.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
I go naked with all my iPhones other than a screen and back protector.

I take care of my things and make sure nothing hard or abrasive is in my pocket with my phone.

I have a couple of dings because it slid out of my pocket in my car but oh well. It's just a phone really.

The slimness and lightness of the 5 is what's great about it. (Can't say the same about ios6 however.) I don't want a case or bumper that will add bulkiness or weight.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
i think what you choose to do depends on you. meaning that there are people who will tell you that they want to enjoy the phone 'as is', and are ok with dings and scuffs and maybe even small scratches. There are others who are upset w/ a small mark on the phone. If that person is you, I would protect the phone w/ a screen protector and some sort of case. The phone is bound to show small scuffs, etc just from regular use, even if you are very careful.

I have used the phone both ways, and it is great to just use the phone as it was meant to be used, ie. no case, protector. You can really enjoy the phone as it was meant to be used that way. But I ultimately chose to use a slim case and a Zagg screen protector because I wasn't confident that I could keep the phone in good enough condition for me. So for me the tradeoff was worthwhile.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I'm sort of the same way...I prefer the feel of a naked phone, and I would never buy a big, bulky case. I decided to just get a slim, low profile case to cover the back, mainly for when I go out to bars, restaurants, etc, where I could be setting my phone down on some less-than-ideal surfaces. This is the case I went with...

http://www.amazon.com/SF-Matte-Black-Feeling-Unlocked/dp/B00993E8B6/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

I wanted the case to be smooth plastic (as opposed to rubber like my last one) so that it slides in and out of my pocket easily. It should also provide a little bit of protection against drops (though I know not much). One of the user uploaded pics on Amazon indicates that it provides a slight bit of clearance for setting the phone face down (which I never plan on doing, but it could accidentally happen), without having a lip that you can really feel on the sides. It's about as thin and minimal as I could find without just going with a decal type screen protector/film. Though I am considering putting a screen protector film on the front to avoid scratches if I ever put the phone in my pocket with my keys (made that mistake before).

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Dot

I'd say try it naked for a few days...see if you really have an issue with the wear of the phone. Some people report that they've been naked with their iPhone since day one and it looks flawless.

This is the case for me. Black iPhone 5 and no scratches that I can see. It comes down to just being careful with it -- like don't drag it across tables that would look like it's got a rough surface to it. I guess it's more common sense to some degree, but I don't look out for it too much.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I put a skin on mine and use it w/o a case.

I use a case when I'm doing things outside or if I go somewhere I know I'll want/need one...

while I don't get the full-fledged aluminum feel of the phone (the skin makes it feel rubbery) I still get to have a really super-thin phone that looks cool and best of all, fits nicely in my pocket.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Dot

Mine was caseless for 12 hrs and in that short period of time it was accidently dropped from less than 2 ft on tile, the bottom corner took the hit and it flattened the rounded edge. Not worth caseless IMO, this phone is way to fragile

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Even with the new 4S I got, I have a bumper case on it. Still lets the beauty show through, but affords some protection and gives you something to hang on to when you're hands are slippery.

Also, I'm not afraid it's going to scrape if I slide it on the table when I set it down.

For those raggin' on the OP for asking opinions.... on a forum... you might want to take some time away and come back refreshed. ;)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
If you suffer from severe OCD and tend to drag your phones against abrasive surfaces - yes. If you're normal - no.
You have no idea what OCD is.
That was an unhelpful and useless reply if ever I've seen one.

Is this what you forum folk call trolling?

The issue isn't as bad as you are making it. Take the phone out of the wrapper, enjoy it. If it gets a scratch, who cares? It would still work.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
OP,

I had similar concerns, admittedly. To add more to the mix, I found my previous iPhone 4 uncomfortable naked, so I alway used a leather back cover which was really comfortable. The iPhone 5 is lighter and more comfortable to hold, and I really like the way it looks without a case, so I was contemplating using it naked.

Then I stumbled up on a thread in the iPhone/accessories forum:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452824/

I had a leather pouch for the iP4 before and never used it much, but the thought of combining a wallet and a phone gave me another reason to use the iP5 naked. I bought an Atelier Pall Duo wallet and have been using it for almost 2 months now. I love the wallet, and my iP5 is still flawless.

Check out that thread as there are many pouches with reviews to choose from.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Naked. No problems. No "bends". No appreciable "scuffs". No scratches on the screen....

It's almost like if you take care of it and aren't OCD to the point of breaking out a magnifying glass daily you can ENJOY the phone for what it is, rather than obsessing over careless damage.

Might it damage easier? Maybe... don't really care though, because even if it did it would still be my fault. If I was THAT concerned about it I'd wrap it up.

What I find amusing is the people who act like other phones have been indestructible. They haven't been. Every phone has flaws, and if you can't live with teeny tiny imperfections you shouldn't own a phone anyway.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
These are concerns you should have put to bed before ordering it.

I choose to put a bumper on mine simply for grip.

Had mine since early November with no issues.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Naked. No problems. No "bends". No appreciable "scuffs". No scratches on the screen....

It's almost like if you take care of it and aren't OCD to the point of breaking out a magnifying glass daily you can ENJOY the phone for what it is, rather than obsessing over careless damage.

Might it damage easier? Maybe... don't really care though, because even if it did it would still be my fault. If I was THAT concerned about it I'd wrap it up.

What I find amusing is the people who act like other phones have been indestructible. They haven't been. Every phone has flaws, and if you can't live with teeny tiny imperfections you shouldn't own a phone anyway.

This ^^. I got Apple Care + just so I could use my phone without having to baby it. I've got some scratches on my iPhone 5 but I'm willing to live with them and it's comforting knowing I can replace it twice for $50. I'll probably never use it but it makes me enjoy my phone more so it's worth the $.

And yes, I've had Android phones for 3 years. Plastic phones don't compare and after 2 years of usage they look absolutely terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.