Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
This is what happens when your fav company goes too coporate. Mr.Cook is too busy playing politic game + money grabber that this company stop innovating and stop caring for it's own passion(which btw is gone w/ Steve gone) and follow the money..

Again, I look for other company when trying out fantastic ideas..

Can you point to 1 CES where Apple has ever gone?

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
An iPhone charger that runs on butane...does that seem like taking a step backwards to anyone else?

Nope - I totally agree and don't see the point if this thing doesn't run on hydrogen.

So it's DOA for me.:mad:

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
It would be the only collaborative computing device on the market, and this could be huge in certain businesses where collaboration is important (i.e.: marketing, R&D, etc.) -- especially at such a reasonable price point. It allows many people to work together simultaneously on a single project.

I'll wait for the day when having a bunch of people leaning over and sharing a screen is better than any of:
1) having one large whiteboard
2) having content delivered to individual tablets in real-time, so everyone has ample space to see and interact
3) all the other ways people work together simultaneously on a single project that have existed since forever

Nobody actually working in R&D cares about having a tabletop screen for 2+ ppl to stand around and jab at simultaneously.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Butane is pretty easy to get tho

Yap. But Butane is the least nerdy fuel for a fuel cell. Hydrogen is the way of the future (and I find it embarassing, that we, the 21st century people, don't use hydrogen lighters btw).

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Butane is pretty easy to get tho

That link to the product site where Arn mentioned the flight regulation, I Goog'ed to a couple of PDFs (using the regulation + butane) talking about "sealed" vs. not, etc., so maybe that's a way cover air safety regulations for a container of that size.

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Is there an award for most retarded product introduced at CES?
If not there should be....

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Let's assume the iPhone 5 battery has a capcity of 10 watt-hours. Let's also assume a charging efficiency of 50%. It would then take 20 watt-hours of electricity to charge an iPhone, or 1/50th of a kilowatt-hour. A kilowatt-hour of electricity, depending on where you live, costs around 10 cents. It costs you 1/5th of a penny to charge your iphone by plugging it into the wall. Forgetting about the ridiculous $300 start up cost, each charge from the butane thing costs a dollar, or 50,000% as much money. You better be pretty desperate to charge your phone for that kind of scratch.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Shame you have to buy the cartridges from them and you just cant fill them up like a lighter.
As long as you're using butane, it'll have to come in a canister (just like a refillable butane lighter). But ya, it'd be cool to have a tiny fuel cell like this that runs on naptha lighter fluid.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
i would have bought that charger for 150usd maybe for 200. 300 is simply too high. Weird that they go so high leaving the average buyer behind.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
299 for a charger + you need to pay 9.99 per 10 charges.

GREAT if you're in the jungle and/or somewhere without power often (assuming you also have a cellular tower where it would make sense to still carry you cell)

But you can by several iCarriers (for example) from New Trent for that kind of change...

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yap. But Butane is the least nerdy fuel for a fuel cell. Hydrogen is the way of the future (and I find it embarassing, that we, the 21st century people, don't use hydrogen lighters btw).

I know where to get butane. Where can I get hydrogen for a comparably cheap price?

And I've heard- but don't know for sure- that it cost's more to capture the hydrogen for fuel cells than you can get out of it in fuel cell energy. Is that true or false?

----------

would a fuel cell be allowed on an airplane?

Unlikely.

paddy616

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Nectar Fuel Cell

So this loses 10% of its power during idle period on the shelf or when it is used daily like a battery? If it is like a battery that is not bad...my iPhone battery now only holds 1/2 charge after 1 year of use.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is what happens when your fav company goes too coporate. Mr.Cook is too busy playing politic game + money grabber that this company stop innovating and stop caring for it's own passion(which btw is gone w/ Steve gone) and follow the money..

Again, I look for other company when trying out fantastic ideas..
Since when is Apple into niche products? I'd rather Apple focus on innovation that is practical and will benefit lots of people.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
If lenovo doesn't introduce it into the market, perhaps samsung will introduce it instead as the samsung galaxy s iv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.