Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I think the big tablet seems pretty cool I wouldnt mind having like a coffee table or something where this is the surface (assuming it can withstand the much wear and tear).

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Remember this quote. Something like this will be standard in many houses in a few years. You have tables now, right? A nice coffee table costs $500, say. Well a coffee table that does this might be $500 in the not too distant future. Why not have a whole bunch of the surfaces in your house have this function once the price gets dropped far enough?

I can't believe this thing is only $1700 right now. So let's say it drops by half every three years, so in less than a decade you could add something like this to any table without really adding that much to the price of the table. Sign me up!

I get your point, but this thing in its current state is impractical, as it is still designed as a desktop all in one that has a touchscreen. This thing is not built to be an actual coffee table unless you plan on repairing the display every two weeks.

It is essentially like an old tablet PC before the iPad came along, still searching for a reason to exist.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
"Absurd" ?!

Seriously it's not your job to make such comments

You bring us the news

We make the judgements

It's not your job to speak for me. I like to be told what to think, otherwise I don't have the time to listen to music while cycling.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
It can carry on a plane. From http://www.nectarpower.com
So were liquids and creams... Wait till some idiot tries put together a crude weapon out of it and tries to bring it into a plane. TSA will gladly confiscate them. (But never before he tries to bring it into a plane, being proactive is not in their job description.)

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
"Absurd" ?!

You bring us the news

We make the judgements

Wow entitlement much?

----------

The tablet-table is an awesome idea. Call it a niche product now, but I believe it will be mainstream later. Build with sturdy parts, scratch-resistant glass... chess, checkers, monopoly, words w/ friends, at the press of a button it could stand itself up and act as a television set. I would buy one.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Litigate, Don't Innovate!

I bet that damn Table Thingie infringes on at least a couple of Apple Patents. It will never see the light of day.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
That table-let is huge.

Not sure there would be any practical reason to have one in your home.

Like the article said, Microsoft experiement with that 'coffee table PC' concept back in the 2006 era, and the idea was to see pictures, put your phone on it and it automatically gets data from it, controls your TV, etc...

I think the iPhone and iPad killed such category before it even came to market; your phone and TV are more and more becoming integrated (Apple TV, Roku, blu-ray players that can be controlled via an App). I really don't see the need for it either

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I know where to get butane. Where can I get hydrogen for a comparably cheap price?

And I've heard- but don't know for sure- that it cost's more to capture the hydrogen for fuel cells than you can get out of it in fuel cell energy. Is that true or false?

First of all I haven't read much further info as I'm not interested when it runs on butane. Nevertheless as far as I understood you can't use your commercially available butane you get everywhere but you have to use their proprietary sealed butane canisters.

My argument is - if you have to buy their canisters and can't refill with your ordinary butane, then it doesn't make any sense for me. You could also use your proprietary hydrogen canister (and be better of with marketing the "less carbon footprint"-moniker).

Capturing hydrogen is relatively cheap. As a matter of fact all you need is electricity, to electrodes in a sealed environment (which btw could be used from photovoltaic or wind for that matter to be even greener). Then you just use electrolysis of water (which is in abundance all over the planet).

Electrolysis means -> left tower filled with hydrogen for commercial use, right tower filled with oxygen (which you could also use commercially).

So if you wanted to use it, you could (and in the long run I'd think it will be cheaper to use electricity and water than use drilling, electricity and transport to get butane).

Just my 2 cents.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
"Absurd" ?!

You bring us the news

We make the judgements

Is it just me or is the negativity and rudeness on MR getting worse each year?

---

The tablet seems like it would work much better in a collaborative environment than a personal one. Could have a lot of great applications...

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
True, but a poorly trained TSA agent (of which there are many) could easily not know that particular regulation and simply force you to discard it because its butane. I'd be nervous spending $299 and have that happen.

Agreed. I just travelled internationally recently and they confiscated...drum roll please... my red bull.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
I was thinking the same thing.... SETTLERS!!!

Exactly. Playing the expansion packs, 6 players, it is work to reset the board. Plus with a big screen, the amount of players would be limited to its size not pieces. This could change the game entirely.

The only thing I would prefer still physical is resource and development cards. I am sure there would be a way to do that. Maybe provide them but the computer would take a take a pic of them using the camera when used?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
"Absurd" ?!

You bring us the news

We make the judgements

Everybody has a right to an opinion. It's nobody's "JOB" around here,(unless you've got them on the payroll, if so I stand corrected) news articles are offered for your viewing pleasure for FREE, sheesh. :rolleyes:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
And I've heard- but don't know for sure- that it cost's more to capture the hydrogen for fuel cells than you can get out of it in fuel cell energy. Is that true or false?

Of course it is true. There ain't no free lunch. Hydrogen made by electrolysis takes more energy to manufacture than it releases upon use. Hydrogen is not a source of energy so much as it is a medium to store energy. It is a net energy loss to utilize hydrogen for power.

If one were to capture waste energy and use it to manufacture hydrogen, that would be great. If one were to use high quality energy and use it to make hydrogen, that would be a huge waste.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I get your point, but this thing in its current state is impractical, as it is still designed as a desktop all in one that has a touchscreen. This thing is not built to be an actual coffee table unless you plan on repairing the display every two weeks.

It is essentially like an old tablet PC before the iPad came along, still searching for a reason to exist.

I didn't look closely at the specs, but my current coffee table has a glass top and it has not yet needed any repair. And this is just basic glass that I had cut to fit on a base that I got in India. Nothing special and after years of use it doesn't have a scratch on it that I know of. A Gorilla Glass top should be much harder and easy enough to be made durable.

Yes, I wouldn't buy one of these for myself. But a touch screen device that lies flat on the table certainly makes as much sense as the Windows 8 devices that have you reaching out in front of you. Neither are particularly great right now, but I'm going to guess that touching a surface that naturally sits down below where your hands are is going to win in the long term over repeatedly reaching up in front of so that your hands have to hover in front of you. The vast majority of desks that we have been writing on for years have been flat surfaces that we sit in front of. They have not been vertical surfaces that we write against. So this looks much more promising than a lot of stuff I see getting pumped out by non-Apple PC makers.

So yes building a screen into our desks is something that I think we are going to do. The screen could be opaque when you aren't using it, and then it can turn on and be a huge screen to work with when you want to. So when you aren't using it, it is completely out of the way, and then when you are using it is a tremendous amount of space to work on.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Whats the point of the nectar fuel thing if it costs $9.99 per 10 charges?

I guess it's super handy if you're going on an expedition away from civilization and electricity or where electricity is scarce.

As it can charge any USB chargeable device it could charge your GPS/iPod/iPhone/iPad/you name it.

I think it's obvious this isn't directed at Average Joe and not even power thirsty youngsters like me.
This is for the occasion you'll be far away from outlets for a long time.

Glassed Silver:mac

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
So if you wanted to use it, you could (and in the long run I'd think it will be cheaper to use electricity and water than use drilling, electricity and transport to get butane).

Would you get the electricity by using hydrogen fuel cells? Or would you drill and transport and burn some oil to get the electricity?

According to your thinking, the first choice is cheaper. So could you just run the hydrogen factory using electricity made from the hydrogen you produce?

Think about it. Then look into the second law of thermodynamics.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Would you get the electricity by using hydrogen fuel cells? Or would you drill and transport and burn some oil to get the electricity?

According to your thinking, the first choice is cheaper. So could you just run the hydrogen factory using electricity made from the hydrogen you produce?

Think about it. Then look into the second law of thermodynamics.

Nope - in a perfect world I'd have my residue in the State of California (where there is sunlight in abundance) and would get my electricity from photovoltaic.

As a matter of fact I needn't produce hydrogen 24/7, as it nearly is maintenance-free (O.K. - once in a while you have to scrape off the salty crystals from your electrodes if you don't use demineralised water) I don't need that much workers and if there is need for electricity at night (for maintenance, not for production) I'd actually really use hydrogen fuel cells powered with some of that hydrogen I have used.

The efficiency of this method really doesn't matter because as far as I'm conderned the initial cost of setting things up deteriorates over time - because last time I checked sunbeams are free. And with a steady influx of sunbeams you put a steady amount of energy into the system (efficiency may be debatable, but who cares as sunbeams are free).

I never understood why the US hasn't pushed that direction. Now you can argue that you can create butane from organic waste. Point granted.

But we're talking about nerdy here - and the nerd factor definitely belongs to hydrogen. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.