Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone5mod continues to launch both unofficial Lightning accessories and other interesting products for iPhone owners, and the company today has announced its Translucent Mod Kit for the iPhone 5.

iphone5mod_translucent_iphone_5.jpg
The kit includes an entire set of parts to turn an iPhone 5 translucent on the rear and sides, offering users willing to disassemble their devices a rather unique look. Due to high cost and complexities involving the LCD on the iPhone 5 display, the mod kit does not change the front of the device.

iphone5mod_translucent_iphone_5_parts.jpg
The set includes a translucent rear body panel, as well as translucent micro-SIM card slot, mute/power buttons and a translucent Lightning port. The rear body panel is available in seven different translucent colors: white, black, blue, green, yellow, red, and pink.

The kit also includes color-matched top and bottom antenna windows on the rear of the device. For the first 48 hours of availability, customers will receive all seven sets of top and bottom windows in the various colors, allowing users to mix and match as they see fit. After the limited time offer, users will have to select one color of top and bottom window panels for their orders.

Pricing is set at $39.90 for the entire kit, although customers interested in purchasing all seven color variations of the main back body panel can do so for a kit price of $169.

Article Link: iPhone5mod Launches Translucent Mod Kit in Seven Colors for iPhone 5

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
For the price of a nice case, i'd do this.

EDIT: Just watched the video and changed my mind. It's pretty ugly.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Reminds me of the carts at the mall and riced out Nokia phones
No thanks.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
That's hideous. It didn't look good on beepers in 1997, It didn't look good on Nokias either, and it doesn't look good now.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I bet they will sell a ton of these. I would never do it, but I'm sure there are plenty who will.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
I don't understand how you can replace part of the antenna system with something that is obviously plastic...?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Reminds me of my original clear GameBoy i still have :D

EDIT: looks like I was too late, good job Yvan256 :)

Reeko

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Why do iPhone5mod, one of hundreds of companies based in china, that make fake, counterfeit parts and accessories, continuously get exposure like this?

It's misleading for customers as the stuff they sell is cheap, fake tat.

----------

This applies from the other news post a couple of days ago: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16591988/

Why do we only hear about iPhone5Mod? Why not every other knockoff product maker we see all over the place? Genuine question.

Exactly and I'd like to see an answer to this.

Adjectivity

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Questions:
Why would you need separate antenna covers in a plastic case?

Why would they design a back replacement case that is meant to be visible when using it without having a thicker protective lip to protect the glass?

Why make something that most iPhone users can't install without the specialized tool?

What is MacRumors relationship with iPhone5mod?

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
I bet they will sell a ton of these. I would never do it, but I'm sure there are plenty who will.

I agree. I love it how people slam things based on aesthetics. Would I do this? Probably not, but that doesn't mean that other people won't or shouldn't if that's what they want to do. Especially the multitude of teenagers that received iP5's for X-mas and want it to look different from the 400 other kids in their school with iP5's. Have you seen some of the cases that people put on their phones? I personally think they look hideous, but if that's what they want on their phone, more power to them.

Besides, design trends reappear. It's been about 20 years since the translucent plastic revolution, it's about time for it to come back around.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
OMG who knew the iPhone had a BATTERY in it? Also there's a PIECE OF METAL!!!

For a transparent shell, this manages to show off almost nothing.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Please, find me another company that makes iphone5 case modifications? How about another company that makes cheap non-MFI lighting cables that ship from within the US? I've looked, there aren't many. This is the only one that meets both criteria.

This applies from the other news post a couple of days ago: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16591988/

Why do we only hear about iPhone5Mod? Why not every other knockoff product maker we see all over the place? Genuine question.

Why do iPhone5mod, one of hundreds of companies based in china, that make fake, counterfeit parts and accessories, continuously get exposure like this?

It's misleading for customers as the stuff they sell is cheap, fake tat.

----------

Exactly and I'd like to see an answer to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.