Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
California
Here's my preorder on December 20th... Still processing.

27" iMac
2.9 GHz
3TB Fusion
NVIDIA 660M

But now I've had too much time to think and so I'm contemplating an upgrade to...

27" iMac
3.2 GHz
3TB Fusion
NVIDIA 680MX

I know it'll knock me back $350 and a few weeks, but since i do a good amount of gaming and Creative Suite, I'm REALLY teetering on a re-order. My other desktop is almost 7 years old and lasted me well, I figure this one will probably have the same lifespan.

Whattayathink? I could use a nudge...

680MX/3.2Ghz > $350/2 weeks/660M/2.9Ghz ??

Stay put? or Re-Order? TIA :apple:

RaYk717

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
I would make the re-order. I had the same config as u have right now and changed it, because in the end the maschine shoud last some days :). In addition if you are gaming a lot, I would definately take the 680MX !

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
I would see if u can find it in a store because of how long the wait will be if u re order but if u can handle the wait it will be worth it

washu214

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
I spoke with apple today infact trying toget a ship date. the rep told me if you re-rodered now with BTO options the ship date is already in Feb, so your adding like a month not 2 weeks

Category 5

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
Maybe you can call Apple and have them "change" your existing order and not lose your place in the queue.

But I am in agreement. Max that sucker out. From past experience, even if you don't make it 7 years, you will get a better resale value and sell it quicker.

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
I have (or had) the same dilemma as you. I just called Apple, and they cannot change the BTO options without canceling the original order. I told them that I would just stick with my 675mx, to which they graciously offered me free expedited shipping and a free superdrive. Wow. This is my first Mac, but I'm very impressed with Apple customer service.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have (or had) the same dilemma as you. I just called Apple, and they cannot change the BTO options without canceling the original order. I told them that I would just stick with my 675mx, to which they graciously offered me free expedited shipping and a free superdrive. Wow. This is my first Mac, but I'm very impressed with Apple customer service.

If you're a gamer the 680MX is the way to go hands down.

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
If you're a gamer the 680MX is the way to go hands down.

I am, but not a PC/Mac gamer (I intend to build/buy a steam box later on). I'm more concerned with Lightroom/Photoshop performance...both current versions and future upgrades that may employ more GPU acceleration.

However, the OP may have different uses and would game more?

Last edited:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
the 680mx is a beast. if you have the means you should get it if all your worried about is shipping time and not really the money.

This is what i usually tell people if money isnt the issue because if your borderline on a upgrade almost always you regret not getting it later.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
You might be able to pick up the config you are looking for but with 1tb fusion in an apple store. My Apple store had a few so check it out.

Therobart

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Northern Ireland
Go for it. I ordered the same as you on the 30th November and after much reading I changed it from the base 27" to the high one with 680 graphics card. I know it meant waiting a bit longer but I am much happier that I won't regret what I bought.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Whattayathink? I could use a nudge...
It sounds like you really want the upgraded system. Why don't you call Apple and ask about changing your order? Sometimes changing an order will get you a better delivery date than placing a new order. Although since it's a different base model, they may treat it like a new order anyway.

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
California
You might be able to pick up the config you are looking for but with 1tb fusion in an apple store. My Apple store had a few so check it out.

Because of my media trove, I need the 3TB HD. Apple Store rep let me know they will only get 1 TB Fusion model in, no 3 TB configs in store, since that's only BTO. Trying to go for the minimalist look at home without a bunch of external HDs hanging out of my machine this time around.

Last edited:

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
California
Done. Cancelled the old order.

I'll be recieving this BTO in the first few weeks of February. It'll be quite a wait, but it feels good. :D :apple:

27" iMac
3.2 GHz
3TB Fusion
NVIDIA 680MX 2G Ram

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.