Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Canopy's Sensus iPhone case (via Engadget) is touch-enabled, with 10 different touch input points across the back and the right side of the case. The touch input allows for users to interact with apps without blocking the screen with a finger, a useful function for iOS gaming. It is similar in design to the rear trackpad of Sony's PlayStation Vita.

sensuscase.jpg
The Sensus, which resembles a slightly thicker than average iPhone case, has integrated apps that are designed for the visually impaired, along with Braille entry on its touch panels. The company is working on additional apps and has released a software development kit for developers.

It is constructed from durable polycarbonate with rubber corners to protect the iPhone from bumps and falls. It comes equipped with a built-in processor that monitors touch input, and it is powered through the charging port of the iPhone.

At this point in time there is only a version for the iPhone 4/4S on display at CES, but the company is working on a version for Apple's iPhone 5.

Canopy's Sensus case will be available during the Summer of 2013, at a cost between $59 and $99.

Article Link: CES 2013: Canopy Sensus Case Adds Touch Controls to the iPhone's Back

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
This is pretty cool. Summer 2013 though? Hopefully it will be a better prediction than many of the Thunderbolt docks. ;-)

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Shame that it only works with a limited number of apps. If the case worked with anything and was basically a mirror of the front touch screen, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Shame that it only works with a limited number of apps. If the case worked with anything and was basically a mirror of the front touch screen, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

I agree.

Alas, there's a vicious cycle that's likely to occur wiith this accessory that has occurred with many others:
They won't sell very well because there won't be many apps and there won't be many apps because it won't sell very well.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I still cant really get used to the vita back touch pad, just seems so strange after years of iphones.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I can see how this would be useful for some FPS games, but not for lots of others like Angry birds.

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
Cheapos for not licensing the 30 pin or the lighting port...... micro usb really. Yes every other phone uses them but a household that is all iphones would not have many laying around.. yet another cable to buy

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Cheapos for not licensing the 30 pin or the lighting port...... micro usb really. Yes every other phone uses them but a household that is all iphones would not have many laying around.. yet another cable to buy
It comes with one, I believe. Their previous cases did.

I've worked with this company before. They're based in Minneapolis, not far from my company. Their SDK is fairly non-complicated so hopefully lots of developers can take advantage of this.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Ugh. That sounds complicated. It is contrary to Apple's entire design ethos.

The concept of touch based input shouldn't be complicated to an iPhone user. Having a sensor on the back is a cool idea and worked well for Sony with the Vita.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

How many families are all-iPhone?

Out of smartphones, iPhones don't even have a 20% share. Out of all phones, the percentage is MUCH lower. That means that pretty much everybody does NOT use an iPhone.

Which means, in turn, that families without a mini-USB phone charger (or 3) handy are strange folks indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.