Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I understand it costs over $700 and I use to be anul about it too.

But after my first serious scratch I have come to realize that if this was a Nokia no one would care. I wouldn't care.

My razr was really egged up scratches in all everywhere. But who cared. It was legit. And that's all that matters.

iPhone 5 a straight legit phone and that's all that matter.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
simple. atleast for me.
if i spent over $700 for a product, dont care if its nokia, sony, motorola, samsung, apple... anything at all. i'd like for it to look perfect out of the box.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011

But after my first serious scratch I have come to realize that if this was a Nokia no one would care. I wouldn't care.

My razr was really egged up scratches in all everywhere. But who cared. It was legit. And that's all that matters.

Because the iPhone 5 is something that is nice to look at, it's pretty, and it's not cool to make something pretty ugly.

Some people don't see beauty though. They look at the logo and then turn their brain off. Those are the same people that look at a painting and think "what's the big deal" or "this Mona Lisa painting is boring".

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Because the iPhone 5 is something that is nice to look at, it's pretty, and it's not cool to make something pretty ugly.

Some people don't see beauty though. They look at the logo and then turn their brain off. Those are the same people that look at a painting and think "what's the big deal" or "this Mona Lisa painting is boring".

Did you actually just compare the iPhone to the Mona Lisa? :D

Rookie1986

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007

You kinda answer your own question, at the price we pay for an iPhone people make sure to look after it and to keep it in pristine condition.

If your happy for your iPhone to be scratched all over then you get on with it. Personally I prefer to have mine still in good condition.

You lost me with the legit stuff, not really sure what your on about.... ......??

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
simple. atleast for me.
if i spent over $700 for a product, dont care if its nokia, sony, motorola, samsung, apple... anything at all. i'd like for it to look perfect out of the box.

I do not think the OP is talking about "out of the box", i think he is referring to scratches, blemishes or dings after you have been using it for a while.

I kept my 4 in a case, and i had my 5 in a case for the first week. The 5 is such a great looking phone that i am now carrying it naked.

I am sure it will show some wear overtime but such is life, i bought applecare+ this time around.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
It isn't logic (for logic would dictate the longer you own something, the more likely it will show wear) it is emotion.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Back in the day, i remember OCD kicking into overdrive about my N95 8GB and the common loose slider. The crap people went through to get a "perfect" one!
Finally, someone figured out how to fix the problem ourselves. take it apart, bend the rails. Tight slider! Ahh, the good ole days.

Its not just Apple. Everyones quality control sucks it seems. I think people have high expectations for a device that costs upwards of $1K. Perfectly understandable.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Some people may treat their iPhone as a tool. They don't bother with some minor flaws/scratches.

Some people may want their phone as to be perfect when they invest such a substantial amount of capital on such a product. It's only logical.

Different people have different preferences.:)

Spidder

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
I once bought a cheap LG featurephone for 30$: It was in perfect condition! I mean wtf=?!? I get a flawless device for 30$ from LG, but Apple can't produce a flawless one for 700$?!?

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
For me, it's partially about resale value. A lot of people would buy an iPhone just because it is an iPhone, but if you take good care of yours, even more people will take notice of it = potential higher value.

Then there's the thing about user experience; it's much more pleasant to look at an unscratched screen than noticing a streak every time you watch a video or play an app.

Finally, there's the pride thing. When I bought my first iPod on eBay, I was overjoyed and proud to own one even though it was scratched to heck and back. Over the years of reading how people kept there idevices in mint condition, I fell into that crowd and wanted to protect my products, too. I'm sure each person has their own perception. Sent from my iPhone 5.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
1) I am very OCD about the conditions of my product.....a tiny scratch would annoy me beyond belief (almost a stressed out feeling)

2) resale value. An iphone in perfect condition will sell a lot better than one with flaws; making upgrades yearly very do-able

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
First off who's going to pay 700 for s phone? The 64gb iphone is only 400

Here in Sweden the lowest price for a new unlocked iPhone 5 16 GB is $900. You can get it for less (up front) if you buy it with a subscription/contract with an added monthly cost on your bill. But in the long run (over the contract that's normally 24 months) you often still payed at least $730 for the hardware only .

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
For me, it's partially about resale value. A lot of people would buy an iPhone just because it is an iPhone, but if you take good care of yours, even more people will take notice of it = potential higher value.

Then there's the thing about user experience; it's much more pleasant to look at an unscratched screen than noticing a streak every time you watch a video or play an app.

Finally, there's the pride thing. When I bought my first iPod on eBay, I was overjoyed and proud to own one even though it was scratched to heck and back. Over the years of reading how people kept there idevices in mint condition, I fell into that crowd and wanted to protect my products, too. I'm sure each person has their own perception. Sent from my iPhone 5.

Yup! I agree 100%. When you upgrade, having a scratched and dented phone will net you less at resale.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

Apple sells and markets this phone as a very expensive 'jewel'. Are people wrong to expect delivery on that promise?

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012

My thoughts also. I resell every year so I want it top notch for top dollar.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I think some imperfections help with the beauty of it. My Black iPhone 5 has been naked since day 1 and yes it does have very slight wear and tear on the chamfered edges but that's to be expected. It is how the iPhone 5 was designed and natural wear and tear in my eyes helps give the phone character.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Because this...(cut from my last post)

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such obsessions and compulsions. Symptoms of the disorder include excessive washing or cleaning; repeated checking; extreme hoarding; preoccupation with sexual, violent or religious thoughts; relationship-related obsessions; aversion to particular numbers; and nervous rituals, such as opening and closing a door a certain number of times before entering or leaving a room. These symptoms can be alienating and time-consuming, and often cause severe emotional and financial distress. The acts of those who have OCD may appear paranoid and potentially psychotic. However, OCD sufferers generally recognize their obsessions and compulsions as irrational, and may become further distressed by this realization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.