Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Even if it's not cheaper than Lifeproof's it will sell well if they get space on AT&T sale floors.

I bought a Lifeproof for ~$55 on Amazon and can't complain. Carried it around in the jungle for weeks, actually filmed in a stream, tossed the thing in a sandy beach bag, and cycled with it all sweaty in my pocket for hours and hours. No problem and pics look great through the glass camera cover. It still sucks to interface with the screen though. I can't bear to use my phone at home out of bad weather in that case but like it when it's needed.

longpath

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Dust-proof, eh? Is the camera protection just glass or is there a something that keeps dust out by covering the glass too? How about a dust-resistant case...one that doesn't allow dust to accumulate in the corners of the screen protector and over the camera glass. Show me one that prevents this and it'll be the next case I buy. This Ballistic HC case (which I highly recommend over the Defender) has glass protection over the camera lens, but no cover you can slide across or put on when you're not using the camera so dust doesn't accumulate.

How about being able to wash the phone and case in soap and water, or spray it down with Windex without being worried about destroying the phone? That's what I do with my iPhone in a LifeProof case.

----------

So now you can make those phone calls underwater like you've always wanted.

More like you can listen to music or pacing rhythm while swimming. No case is going to get around the fact that the capacitive sensor in the screen can't detect your fingers if there is too much water on it (and can not detect anything when it is immersed).

----------

What case would that be? Lifeproof has the same waterproof rating meaning 6.6 ft for 30 minutes. It's on their specifications page.

http://www.watershot.com/underwater-camera-housing-iphone

Same price but "Waterproof performance to 40 m / 130 ft deep"

I believe that some of the objection is due to LifeProof's original statement of waterproofing may have omitted the disclaimer about 30 minutes; but I am not certain of this as I was an early adopter of the LifeProof case and no longer recall their original statements.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008

I believe that some of the objection is due to LifeProof's original statement of waterproofing may have omitted the disclaimer about 30 minutes; but I am not certain of this as I was an early adopter of the LifeProof case and no longer recall their original statements.

Thanks! I would buy that watershot for sure but it seems its currently only available for iP4/4S. I've never fully trusted Lifeproof when it comes down to swimming or prolonged wet conditions. Also eventually the 50 openings limit wasn't for me since I want to have minimal case when I'm not doing sports / outdoor activities.

jim001

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Where is the float?

If I drop my phone off the side of my boat chances are that its going to be deeper than 6 feet and I am not going to be able to find it if I dive in after it.

What I really need is something like the Lifeproof Life Jacket where it floats on the surface.

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California
And the camera cover covers the camera only every second time in the middle of shot. Been there, done that. Just great.

All you need to do is widen the nub that holds the flap in place, or remove the plug entirely and then you are able to simply pop it back into place when you are done, or can use a free finger to hold it agaisnt the case.

My point being the survivor does the best job at protrcting from drops, sand and dust. The minor issue with the camera flap has many ways to workaround.

My only REAL gripe with the case ever was how easy it was to hit the home button.

----------

Watersport looks interesting, but I'd be more apt to spend a bit more for a GoPro to take in with me on the board.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Hey this is great for me:
1. As a sea kayaker, I always worry about the waterproof bags I carry my phone in. Now I can double my protection.
2. Since i work outside half my working life (at least) my phone is subject to all sorts of conditions.

I am thrilled and can't wait.

and who would ever get thrilled over a phone case.. who'd a thunk,,,e xcet I don't want my phone to go for a dunk.... it'd put me in a bad funk....

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
no one says you have to buy it. If you don't want it, get something cheaper...:confused:

What, I can't comment on the expensiveness? A forum is a place you come to air your views whatever they might be, not be told you're not allowed to complain about something.

wellred

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
How about being able to wash the phone and case in soap and water, or spray it down with Windex without being worried about destroying the phone? That's what I do with my iPhone in a LifeProof case.

----------

More like you can listen to music or pacing rhythm while swimming. No case is going to get around the fact that the capacitive sensor in the screen can't detect your fingers if there is too much water on it (and can not detect anything when it is immersed).

----------

Yes but does lifeproof cover the camera lens? And there are also proximity sensor issues with the lifeproof.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Love my current Otterbox, just hope there's a plain black/grey option for this one.

longpath

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Yes but does lifeproof cover the camera lens? And there are also proximity sensor issues with the lifeproof.

LiveProof does cover and seal the camera lens and flash. I have never had any issues with the proximity sensor while using a LifeProof case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.