Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Water-resistant nanocoating has been around for some time now, but Santa Ana-based company Liquipel has debuted a more effective version, Liquipel 2.0, which it says is up to 100 times more effective than the watersafe nanocoating it first introduced at CES 2012.

Liquipel's product is designed to protect electronic devices from water damage, adding a vapor-applied water resistant coating that does not compromise the performance of the device.

liquidpel-500x331.jpg
According to Liquipel's Managing Director Sam Winkler, who spoke to Engadget, a device that is treated with the new version of Liquipel is able to achieve a water resistance rating of IPX7, which means the device can be submerged in a meter of water for 30 minutes.

Though Liquipel did not previously offer a warranty for treated electronics and some users had experienced issues with devices treated with original Liquipel formula not surviving liquid exposure, the company announced its Liquipel Performance Guarantee at CES. The new warranty, which currently covers only U.S. customers but should be extended to other countries in the future, offers protection from damage due to accidental liquid exposure on Liquipel-treated devices.
The coverage excludes intentional submerging of devices in liquid. However, everyday life events that can cause liquid damage will be covered, such as: rain, splashing, sweat, dropping in the sink or toilet and spilled drinks.
Liquipel's nanocoating operation has also gone portable with its new "Liquipods," 4x4 foot boxes that can be leased by shops who want to offer the Liquipel treatment.

TechCrunch reports that Liquipel is also opening its own retail locations, beginning with an inaugural store at the West Edmonton Mall in Canada this February.

Liquipel currently offers an online service, where customers can ship devices to be professionally coated by Liquipel itself, with prices starting at $59.

Article Link: CES 2013: Liquipel Announces 2.0 Watersafe Nanocoating For Waterproofing Devices

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Why would I want this when I have a Lifeproof? That is all I need :rolleyes:

Ok, seriously, this is pretty cool. I would love to have this coating on my iPhone :D

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So they say around 30 minutes or so...does that mean the coating wears off at that point and if I drop it in water again it will go under?

Either way it would be nice if manufactures would start using this. I haven't had a water damaged iPhone but know a few people who could have benefited from it.

Also would be nice to safely use your phone in the rain.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I don't know--I've seen some people test this and it doesn't work. And I'm not talking they dunked it in water and pulled it out--I've seen people just quickly drop it in water and pull it right back out, and the phone died every time.

I don't trust it.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
All over it. The short amount of time your phone hits the moisture/water is what this is about... I'm all over it.

Will help 95% of water incidents/hazards...

Still not sold until till I see it with my own eyes though.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Their first store is in Canada, but their warranty is only for US customers?

The store isn't open yet. Presumably when it opens, the warranty will be valid in Canada too, at least on devices treated at the store.

Dorv

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2008
I've always wondered how this coating works with/affects the speakers/lightning port/headphone port.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Didn't clark griswold try to invent a sealant for cereal that kept it crunchy in milk? ;)

IIRC, that was in Christmas Vacation!

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
What about the water condensed inside the device? Will the liquid never escape from that?

Can this coating cause any harm to the device taking into account that there will be always some degree of water inside the phone and this liquid can accumulate in a region inside the phone's case once it will never evaporate?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I would do it for the simple fact I never bring my iphone into the bathroom with me when I shower b.c the humidity.

edit: This is from their website....is this not a contradiction to what the article says?

"Disclaimer: Liquipel applies a preventative coating designed to aid in the event of accidental liquid exposure, and assumes no responsibility for water damaged devices. Liquipel does not recommend your device ever come in contact with liquid."

...or maybe that $59.99 is for the old coating and the new one will be much more since they are covering damages?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I can't help but wonder why people can't just go visit the website and watch the video which explains the process (it's gas not liquid that is used to permeate the phone) and all the other details people are asking about.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Sweet, I just saved $59 by using my pocket and not being an idiot with my phone ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.