Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
Hey,

A guy on craigslist is offering an iPod touch 4th gen 64 gb for $115. The screen is completely ruined (cracked all over) and would need to be replaced. Moneywise, how low do you think I should try to get him to? I have never replaced any screen before of an iDevice. Would it be worth it to try? Is it very hard?

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
There should be people on craigslist in your area that do repairs.

Contact one of them and find out what they charge to replace the screen.

Personally, I wouldn't pay anywhere NEAR that for a damaged 4th gen ipod touch. You have no idea what else is wrong with it.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
You need to be careful. I once bought a broken powerbook off ebay because I'd fully disassembled and reassembled that model dozens of times and figured there was nothing that could go wrong with it that I couldn't fix.

When I got it, half internal screws were missing and there wasn't a single part that wasn't broken, literally everything, the sound board, even the modem. Somebody had been doing repairs and put together a machine with all the dead parts he'd pulled. Even the housing was in worse shape than any I'd worked on.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
No, it's on craigslist. I would try to repair it myself. Is that very hard? (I am assuming the screen is working and the iPod is responsive.)

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
No, no. I'm going to make sure of my assumptions by looking at it and using it some before I purchase it. Assuming until then that it is fully functional and the only problem is that it's screen is badly shattered, how low do you think I should try to get him to go. Again, is it very hard to replace a screen yourself?

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
No, no. I'm going to make sure of my assumptions by looking at it and using it some before I purchase it. Assuming until then that it is fully functional and the only problem is that it's screen is badly shattered, how low do you think I should try to get him to go. Again, is it very hard to replace a screen yourself?
A friend of mine successfully replaced one. However, he almost ruined the iPod entirely by coming within a hair of severing some of the important wires, so it's definitely risky. I'd say below $100. Look up the cost of repair before you decide.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
Honestly you can probably get a refurbished one from apple for the cost of getting the iPod, shipping and the cost of repair.

shipping? have none of you ever heard of craigslist? you go look at it and then buy it from the guy if it's good.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
Oh, also, when I buy the replacement screen I need to know what to buy.

The screen is cracked, but the iPod is still responsive and functional. I don't know if that means I do not need a digitizer replacement. What is a digitizer replacement?

Could someone please give me an amazon link to something that would work for this?

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
The digitizer and LCD are fused together for the 4th gen iPod touch. You will need a heat gun to get the old screen off and a small screwdriver. The new screen should come with adhesive strips to stick the new one on.

It's not really hard. I've replaced a couple dozen at my shop. You do have to be careful of a couple very thin connectors, but it's very do-able. iFixit has a prett good guide. Feel free to PM if you need a hand.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
I actually just watched a video by iFixit. They said a hair dryer could work instead of a heat gun. Is this true? Is it very hard to do it that way?

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
A hair dryer will work. It may just take a little longer to heat up. Keep an eye on the home button. The plastic will deform & get crinkly looking if it gets too hot.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
Are the screens that are not made by Apple generally okay to buy? Who is a trusted seller?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Why not just get a working one. I paid $160 for a 64gb iPod touch 4 like new with 11 months of apple care left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.