Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
When using the Google Maps app on my iPhone 5 I noticed that it does not show the orientation based on my path of travel but shows the map pointing to North. Is there a way to change that?

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Goto Settings and turn on Location Settings for Google Maps, and the compass will spin.

I have it on for Google Maps under Location Services and still do not get the map to show in the direction I am traveling.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
When using the Google Maps app on my iPhone 5 I noticed that it does not show the orientation based on my path of travel but shows the map pointing to North. Is there a way to change that?

You mean other than by pressing the button in the bottom left of the screen?

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
You mean other than by pressing the button in the bottom left of the screen?

When driving I usualy have my iPhone on with Google Maps open even if I am not using it to show directions to go from point A to point B. While driving the app shows a blue dot (my iPhone location) and as the car moves the dot moves but NOT in the direction the car is moving. If am heading south and making a right turn to head west, with the orientation pointing North, makes it look like am turning left. BTW, pressing the small arrow on the botton left of the screen does not change the orientation of the map.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Not sure about the iOS version, but the Android version has a Navigation icon for Google Maps. When you launch it from the Navigation icon (instead of the Google Maps icon) and go to the map, it will show the navigation display as if you are driving to a destination, only it has no pre-planned route. You may want to check if the iOS version of Maps has a navigation display within the app. Try navitating without a destination if that is possible.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
When driving I usualy have my iPhone on with Google Maps open even if I am not using it to show directions to go from point A to point B. While driving the app shows a blue dot (my iPhone location) and as the car moves the dot moves but NOT in the direction the car is moving. If am heading south and making a right turn to head west, with the orientation pointing North, makes it look like am turning left. BTW, pressing the small arrow on the botton left of the screen does not change the orientation of the map.

You need to press the "locate me" button in the bottom left twice in a row. The first press locates you on the map. The second time activates the compass and causes the map to orient itself to the direction your phone is facing. Should work fine while driving.

edit: Another option would be to enter your destination and then use the app's navigation mode with the voice guidance muted. You would still see the blue line for the app's planned route, but the map would always follow the direction of your car.

Last edited:

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
You have a talent for using so many words for describing a problem and still not making it clear what the problem actually is.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Click the compass in the upper right hand corner of the map.

That will toggle it from always showing due north, or showing the direction of your vehicle.

If that doesn't work, ensure location services are permitted for the app in settings.

Reactions: jjohnn11

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Same thing happened to me the other day even when I clicked the arrow compass button. I restarted the app and it worked fine.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Overnight, Google Maps is no longer pointing in the right direction on rotation. It always points north.

I have:
-reinstalled the app
-Calibrated Compass app - figure of 8 etc.
-Pressed the Compass icon on and off in Google Maps.
-Orientation is fine in Apple Maps

Any suggestions?

----------

Btw: iPhone 5

----------

And I've hard reset the phone...

maybeiloveyou

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
california
Mine does this too randomly!! Maybe it's a software bug? I just hold it upside down or sideways when it happens ... I mostly use google maps for traffic updates.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Overnight, Google Maps is no longer pointing in the right direction on rotation. It always points north.

I have:
-reinstalled the app
-Calibrated Compass app - figure of 8 etc.
-Pressed the Compass icon on and off in Google Maps.
-Orientation is fine in Apple Maps

Any suggestions?

----------

Btw: iPhone 5

----------

And I've hard reset the phone...

This is very frustrating. I too have been experiencing this for the past week.
Not sure why'd has encasing this, but it has greatly effected my daily travel (using google maps every other day).
Extremely frustrating.

denpashonen

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
Compass Icon

Try tapping on the compass icon while in the navigation mode. It should toggle between pointing north and to the direction your device is heading.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Use waze in the meantime. Google maps is strange, sometimes it's perfect, sometimes its plain dumb. An update should be imminent

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are system services for various location items enabled? Like compass calibration and the like?

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
With iOS 8, I just open in default Apple maps, and enter my destination route and select "App" we can now choose any map app and open up that app and your destination info loads right in.

mjt42

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Have a read of post #11

i had this problem today on my iphone 6 running ios 8. it is just a simple case of touching the compass icon on the right hand edge of the screen (while in sat nav mode). it toggles the view from map facing north to arrow facing north (direction of travel).

long0281

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Are system services for various location items enabled? Like compass calibration and the like?

I was experiencing the same issue, and this solved it for me. Location access must be enabled for Compass in Location Services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.