Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben123456

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
This looks like the right place to post this thread but I'm not sure. But I am looking for a pair of good headphones. I had a pair of Bose quite comfort 15 headphones but they stopped working awhile back. A few of my friends have beats but I have herd that they are overrated(never had te chance to try them). What are some nice headphones around the $300 price range? Or should i get another pair of the Bose. Thanks

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
Your friends are correct about the Beats. You're paying for the brand name, not the sound quality with those. They're $300+ pieces of plastic with incredibly over powered bass. If you were happy with the Bose headphones, I suggest going that route. I have the Bose AE2 myself and they're super comfortable.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
You need to give more information if you want recommendations.

Type of music you listen to? What you liked/didn't like about the Bose? What type of sound you're looking for? Using them on the go or not?

ben123456

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
You need to give more information if you want recommendations.

Type of music you listen to? What you liked/didn't like about the Bose? What type of sound you're looking for? Using them on the go or not?
I listen to mostly classic rock and rock in general 80-90s mostly. I really liked the noise cancelation it's great when I'm traveling on planes, the sound was great the base is good but not overpowered I also thought it was very clear. I used to be fine with just those earbuds but they would almost give me headaches after awhile. It would mostly be for at home or road trips(not while driving of coarse) I also travel by air moderately.
I'm kinda inexperienced when it comes to audio.

Last edited:

ben123456

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Noise canceling isn't a priority but would ones that wouldn't have this sound bad on airplanes?

ben123456

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
ULTRASONE Edition 9 is cool headphone. The S-Logic natural surround sound takes the sound out of the headphones and into the room around you for a three-dimensional sound similar to a live concert.
That sounds sweet! But how is the sound when you are wearing them

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bowers & Wilkins P5

This is my recommendation as well; beautifully designed, (not too large), well- made, lovely sound, and very very comfortable. I have used them on several long journeys in recent months and find them excellent.

Many (on this forum myself included) find the Beats over-priced but very well marketed. Apart from the Bowers & Wilkins, there are far better headphones available, such as, Grado, Sennheiser, and Audio Technica.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
My recommendation, is to not get too caught up over noise canceling, unless you travel on planes A LOT, and even then, it still might be worth it to invest in two pairs of headphones: a full size and an iem. In-ear monitors do an even better job at blocking out noise than noise canceling, a good iem can give you 30db attenuation.

80-90's classical rock screams like you want a headphone with great mids. In which case, I'd get something the HD598 (open and leaks sound) for at home use, and use the extra 100 or so to get an IEM for portable use-- like an Etymotic.

Both of which will sound way more clear than the Bose, but you'll have to get used to their leaner, more neutral bass, in comparison to the Bose. You could also EQ the bass up as well.

You might be able to find a local hi-fi store, guitar center, or even a best buy with magnolia. HD598s are at the Magnolia sections sometimes.

vanderveeken

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Headphones

Like Scepticalscribe said, consider a pair of grado's, for example the SR80i. It has a slightly forward sound, which works well for stuff with lots of guitars (i.e. rock) imho. I have an old beyerdynamic dt 770, also worth a look and within your pricerange I believe.

In case of flying, an iem will provide you with a lot of isolation from outside noise, especially custom molded ones. You could also use them as earplugs at a loud 80's classical rock concert ;]

also, head-fi.org has a lot of info on headphones. good luck

ben123456

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
My recommendation, is to not get too caught up over noise canceling, unless you travel on planes A LOT, and even then, it still might be worth it to invest in two pairs of headphones: a full size and an iem. In-ear monitors do an even better job at blocking out noise than noise canceling, a good iem can give you 30db attenuation.

80-90's classical rock screams like you want a headphone with great mids. In which case, I'd get something the HD598 (open and leaks sound) for at home use, and use the extra 100 or so to get an IEM for portable use-- like an Etymotic.

Both of which will sound way more clear than the Bose, but you'll have to get used to their leaner, more neutral bass, in comparison to the Bose. You could also EQ the bass up as well.

You might be able to find a local hi-fi store, guitar center, or even a best buy with magnolia. HD598s are at the Magnolia sections sometimes.
Alright. I don't travel on planes very much(around 10 flights a year overestimated how much I flew). What IEMs would you suggest? And by leaner more natural bass you mean?(sorry as I said I don't know much about audio)
Thank you all for the suggestions and help!!

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
It'll be hard to explain unless you try them out for yourselves. My suggestion is find a place that sells the hd598 and has a return policy.

ben123456

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
It'll be hard to explain unless you try them out for yourselves. My suggestion is find a place that sells the hd598 and has a return policy.

Alright thanks! And I'm confused about the HD 598, by open what do they mean?

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Open means they don't isolate. The backs of the cups behind the drivers are grilled instead of sealed off. This means sound will both leak in and leak out.

The majority of audiophile oriented headphones are open back for their better sonic qualities.

ben123456

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Open means they don't isolate. The backs of the cups behind the drivers are grilled instead of sealed off. This means sound will both leak in and leak out.

The majority of audiophile oriented headphones are open back for their better sonic qualities.

Wouldn't the only use then be at home then?

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
They sound great but I'm looking more for headphones in home and out of home. What would be your suggestion for closed

For around $300, the Beyerdynamic DT1350 are a fantastic pair of portable on-ear headphones that isolate really well. For full sized headphones, the V Moda M100 are awesome.

hogsrul

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I really enjoy my Shure SE535's. They are a bit expensive but I haven't found a better in-ear headphone.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
I really enjoy my Shure SE535's. They are a bit expensive but I haven't found a better in-ear headphone.

Same here! Love the SE535s. I use them everyday, and they do a great job of blocking out noise. If you're looking for closed headphones, take a look at the SRH840. It sounds really nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.