Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Not through Hackintosh, but through an emulator, similar to running Windows on a Mac through VMware Fusion.

It's easy enough to buy a high-powered Windows PC laptop for about $600 to $800 new, one with an i7 CPU, 8 gigs of RAM, et cetera. That's about half the price of one of the new Macbook Airs, similarly equipped.

I already run Window 7 on my iMac via VM Fusion. Is there a similarly decent way to run OS X on a Windows PC through a product similar to VMware Fusion?

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its been done, the forums at insanelymac.com have a number of threads discussing this.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi there, would you mind helping me out. I've been assigned the side job of product recommendations. Where can I find a PC in the $600-$800 price range with similar specs?

15" display ( 1440 x 900 or better )
8GB RAM
i7 quad-core
nvidia or ATI GPU ( similar specs to macbook pro )
7 hour battery life or better
if you can: backlit, chiclet style keys

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Hi there, would you mind helping me out. I've been assigned the side job of product recommendations. Where can I find a PC in the $600-$800 price range with similar specs?

8GB RAM
i7 quad-core

The Dell Vostro 3560 comes close
15.6" 1920x1080
6GB RAM
i7-3632Q (quad core)
AMD Radeon HD 7670M 1GB graphic card
battery life 3 hours
backlit keyboard is a $20 add-on option
currently on sale for $799, regular price $1289

here's a review: http://www.mikesquarter.com/dell-vostro-3560-review-2206/

and the link at Dell http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...e6&model_id=vostro-3560&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast

8GB RAM
i7 quad-core

It isn't necessary to match everything on the Mac laptop item for item. As examples, seven hour battery life is not an issue for me. I like a good keyboard, but it doesn't have to be backlit. What I'd like to find is a relatively inexpensive Windows laptop on which I can install an emulator so I can run the latest Mac operating system, just as well as I can run Windows 7 on my iMac using VMware Fusion.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
The Dell Vostro 3560 comes close...
Thanks, we actually tested that very unit and it was pretty impressive, the battery killed us. I guess I should have stated that battery life was VERY important, we MUST have 7 - 8 hours minimum. Carrying around an extra battery was not a big deal, but we would have to carry around 2 extra batteries with the dell! To be honest our MacBook Pros are typically getting only about 6 - 6.5 hours.

We are currently testing an Acer Aspire TimelineX (Intel i5) that makes it about 7.5 - 8 hours. Of course that is with the intern, so it really doesn't do the 'hard stuff'. Haha.

When haswell rolls in we will probably have exactly what we need at just about any price.

Brimah

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
I looked though insanelymac.com and couldnt find exactly was I was looking for. My goal is to try and buy a Laptop with a discrete graphics card and get OS working on it. Hackintosh I cannot find a single laptop that has one and confirmed works with hackintosh.

So thought this might be more accessible to work on more units. Also looking to see how close it is to a Mac experience. Know it will have hiccups Im sure, but trying to weigh the hiccups VS cost savings. Any advice or more accurate resources will be appreciated.

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
Just to be clear. It is a Hackintosh solution. Not allowed according to the license (check OS X license). OS upgrades might stop the solution any time.

But, please, report back how it is turning out. It would be very interesting as an alternative for more people.

// Gunnar

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
Not through Hackintosh, but through an emulator, similar to running Windows on a Mac through VMware Fusion.

It's easy enough to buy a high-powered Windows PC laptop for about $600 to $800 new, one with an i7 CPU, 8 gigs of RAM, et cetera. That's about half the price of one of the new Macbook Airs, similarly equipped.

I already run Window 7 on my iMac via VM Fusion. Is there a similarly decent way to run OS X on a Windows PC through a product similar to VMware Fusion?

Thanks!

Is this what you are looking for?: http://www.sysprobs.com/easily-run-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-retail-on-pc-with-vmware-image

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.