Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This is the first year Google beats Apple for patent grants in the US, with 15 more patents this year (1151 vs 1136) gaining the 21st spot over Apple's 22nd in the TOP 50 compiled by IFI. IBM and Samsung remain firmly entrenched in the 1st and 2nd spot this year :

http://ificlaims.com/index.php?page=misc_top_50_2012

Last year, Apple had placed 39th with 676 patent grants while Google had failed to even make the Top 50.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
What I have learned about patents is that they mean **** all and people who do what the hell they want any way. :)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
KnightWRX, what is your personal view on this story? Do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing? Or something else?

I personally don't support software patents, which is what both Google and Apple mostly apply for. So this big a jump in the rankings for both isn't really something that will lead to a better atmosphere in the industry in my view.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
What other option would you recommend that they could use to protect their products, and designs?

copy right already provides that.

A lot of those software patents are crapents.
I am with knight on there should not be software patents. Now I have a bigger issue when a company start suing with crapents. Case and point is Apple. They have been using several crapents and suing. one key example is slide to unlock.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Does that number for Google include the patent portfolio it got from Motorola ?

This is odd too :

#8 2013 Hon Hai Precision Industry Co Ltd

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Does that number for Google include the patent portfolio it got from Motorola ?

This is for Patent grants from the USPTO, not for patent acquisitions.

However, the question becomes if it includes patent grants that would have gone to Motorola for filings done prior to the Google acquisition, but granted after. I believe the answer is probably yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.