Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple souce

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
im running the latest version of mountain lion and I went and installed the latest java (for the first time on a new mac),but when trying to show java on a website it says "blocked plug-in" even thought I have java enabled in safari and in java control panel. When i click on "blocked plug-in" it tells me that my version of java is out of date and gives me a button which links back to the exact same page where I downloaded java in the first place.

Ive tried refreashing, restarting safari, restarting mac, software update, re-installing java and non of this is working.

Ive searched around the web and it seems that most people had problems when lion came out because java was disabled by default. But this isnt the case, as it just keeps linking me to download a newer version of java even if i have the latest version.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I have the same issue, I just logged on to post about it but then saw this thread. I can't book the cinema tickets I'm supposed to take care of, can't log into my internet bank, it's totally annoying :mad:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I have disabled the plugin in Firefox and System Preferences as a precaution. It is currently showing the warning in FF.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.51.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.51.17 PM.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 139

mannyo1221

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Blandford, UK.
There is a solution on page 4 of the front page story to re-enable the Java 7 plugin.

I have it now working again, but you must remember your system is less secure. But no less secure than it has been for weeks/months.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
The front page article doesn't explain how to re-enable it.

That's true, but neither does your post.

A workaround is to install Chrome or maybe some other browser, where one can enable or disable Java manually, instead of being at the merits of what Apple considers safe to do.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
That's true, but neither does your post.

A workaround is to install Chrome or maybe some other browser, where one can enable or disable Java manually, instead of being at the merits of what Apple considers safe to do.

Not Chrome. It's a 32-bit application and is incompatible with Oracle's 64-bit java plugin.

Firefox would serve.

Nam Pla

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Thailand
Java news article...

In a rare warning, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is urging computer users to disable the Java software, citing what it says is a vulnerability in the Oracle's programming platform.

Apple said it is heeding the advice and has remotely disabled Java for most Mac users.

"Java 7 Update 10 and earlier contain an unspecified vulnerability that can allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system," the Homeland Security's Computer Emergency Readiness Team said in a note posted Thursday. "We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem."

According to Reuters, the vulnerability makes it possible for hackers to install malware that enables them to commit identify-theft crimes or add infected computers to networks that can be used for cyber attacks.

Link to article:

http://www.latimes.com/business/tec...d-security-20130111,0,6103875.story?track=rss

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.