Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its completely personal preference.

VirtualBox - decent application, less features and performance but its free
Parallels - best performance, typically has stability issues particularly with new updates
Vmware - Stable product, has similar features as Parallels but not on the same performance level as parallels

I like Vmware, in part because it has great tech support

iMartijn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
the Low Countries
Thank you for your replies! I am going to a use the VM on the new 27" iMac with Windows 7 pro. I am happy to invest but it has to be well spend.

Stability is crucial, so VMware seems the product to go for.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I have used both VirtualBox and Parallels in the last 3 months...I like them both but as to which is better depends on your personal preference but have had no problem with either.

I am using VMs on both Windows and OS X host systems and it is nice having the same interface on both.

And, both have very good technical support.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
VMWare has always been the more appealing option to me. It is much more intuitive and 'Mac-like' than Parallels, which I find clunky.

Both those options are about $100 though, so if you're a casual user and don't depend on it (or require the premium features of the paid software), then use VirtualBox.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Does anyone know which works best with retina display? I have the 13" rmbp. I think both vmware and parallels support running in full resolution, but that doesn't interest me at all (way too small). Do either of them to a better job at "best for retina"?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think both parallels and vmware are retina compatible at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.