Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
How do you deal with the possibility that your car might be a target? Insurance aside, having something happen to your car is just a pain in the ass and frustrating.

I'm looking to order a new lease car for work this week and was considering going for a BMW 5 Series. It fits into my budget nicely, has an efficient engine, low CO2 emissions, good size, well equipped etc.

Thing is, I've never driven anything extravagant before. Since getting my licence, I've driven nothing but Volkswagens, which while looking smart are quite low key and don't stand out. I see it as a good thing because other drivers are neutral towards you and generally you aren't an obvious target for theft or vandalism.

Like with my current car, I've parked it down small narrow roads, in tight spaces and unsavoury areas without a second thought. This new car though...hmm.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I have two cars,

When I drive this I act normal.;)
fiat_500c_01.jpg

Parking no worries, vandalism and theft are not high on the agenda.

But when I bring this out of its garage, I'm like a mother hen.:p

Screenshot2011-06-10at100436AM.jpg

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I don't really think theft or vandalism is an issue. Just don't keep valuables in sights. And I don't think people won't really damage your car intentionally. If they do, then just think it wouldve happened anyways.

But obviously, the 5 is quite a large car. You'll want to make sure you park it in adequately spaced areas so people don't bang it up by bumping into it, but its not really a big issue imo.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
If I had a BMW 5 series I'd be more concerned about it getting damaged because it is such a big car than I would be concerned about people maliciously damaging or breaking in to it.

I'd also be concerned about the repair costs if anything broke.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I currently have a Porsche. I have previously had a Lotus and Jaguar. None of them were targets, either on the road or when parked outside in London...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't worry about it. I once owned a jeep (pre children days) and since it had a soft top it was impossible for me to secure it. I just lived with the fact that anyone could gain access to it exceedingly easy (unzip the side).

Why worry over something you have no control over. I didn't take chances but by the same token I didn't lose sleep over it either.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I be more worried about having a BMW and someone driving off with it using an unauthorised Key Programmer, to be honest. However I believe that all recent BMWs are now fine, and don't have this issue. The BBC reported the issue in their consumer affairs program, Watchdog last year.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
It's simple: don't leave anything that can be easily stolen in plain view. If your car looks like there is nothing to steal from it - chances are nobody will break into it.

As for 5-series, it doesn't seem to be a very hot car to be stolen so I wouldn't worry about it although this might be country-dependent. When I owned an Integra - I was very much afraid it will get stolen as these graced the most-stolen lists for many years now. I know several people who had theirs taken. I was lucky enough - it never got stolen. On the other hand I had 2 MX-5 convertibles - never had issues even with top down because I followed the rule from first paragraph.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I spent a few years installing alarms in cars, the #1 rule is: If a thief wants it, the thief will get it. I'll share a story to demonstrate this point.

I had a Toyota 4 Runner come in as an insurance job with a stereo theft attempt. The aftermarket radio had been damaged beyond repair in the theft attempt, but the thief didn't get his target. We raplaced the radio and damaged dash pieces and called it good.

A week later the 4 Runner was back, this time with MUCH greater damage to the dash. But the radio was still there, but damaged. We raplaced the damaged radio and dash parts and moved on.

A week later it was back. This time the radio was gone, along with the entire center portion of the dash. In fact, the whole dash was FUBAR. The seats had oil stains and the car smelled like gas. It turns out the thief got tired of being defeated by the 8mm bolts holding the radio in and took a chain saw to the dash to get the radio out. He got the radio, and we got several thousand dollars in insurance dollars to repair the damage. The point being, if a thief wants it, a thief WILL get it.

There Is nothing you can do about door dings except park like a reasonable human. If a thief REALLY wants the whole car they'll just bring a flatbed truck, and no one thinks twice about a car with an alarm sounding off of its on a flatbed. The ONLY way to get your car back from this is GPS tracking with a backup battery.

Other than that, the normal precautions apply, keep valuables out of sight, don't let suction cup marks stay on your windshield and park in
populated areas so it is harder for a thief to get in without being noticed.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
If I had a BMW 5 series I'd be more concerned about it getting damaged because it is such a big car than I would be concerned about people maliciously damaging or breaking in to it.

I'd also be concerned about the repair costs if anything broke.

It's a company lease so all repairs are covered by them.

Unless you're one of those guys that angle parks across 2 spaces, I wouldn't worry about it.

Haha, I wouldn't park across two bays. Having spent years cursing those who do this or park in disabled or parent/child bays... it would be a bit hypocritical :p Nonetheless my dad and brother actually made me swear not to become "one of them" before playing my order :eek:

I be more worried about having a BMW and someone driving off with it using an unauthorised Key Programmer, to be honest. However I believe that all recent BMWs are now fine, and don't have this issue. The BBC reported the issue in their consumer affairs program, Watchdog last year.

I read that the early models were at risk, but that BMW weren't completely upfront about the spread of it. Some owners were asked to book their cars in for a security update regardless :confused:

I spent a few years installing alarms in cars, the #1 rule is: If a thief wants it, the thief will get it. I'll share a story to demonstrate this point.

True. To be honest a month back I wouldn't have even been asking this. Then my cousin who lives about 10 minutes away had his C350 stolen from his driveway in the middle of the night. It's a nice area, bit quiet though so I suppose someone saw an opportunity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.