Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Some people really need to get over themselves.

If you meant OP, then I think it was a reasonable question.

He spent a lot of money on a phone. It looks fabulous and he hopes that it would look reasonably good for the next couple of years. He saw quite a few posts on this forum about visible scratch on black iP5 and wonder if his would look like crap in a couple of months, and if a white iP5 would wear a lot better. The reason he didn't take his out of the box when he post this question was that he was being a responsible consumer and wanted to be able to return the phone unused if he decided to swap it for a white one. No where on his post that he mention he was obsessive about keeping the phone perfect. He wanted to find out how others find their phone wear after a couple of months.

I think it's a very reasonable question.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I like mine case free as well, but can't with the five. Not because of the bs scratch deal, it's just small. Need something on it for grip sake.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I was using a cheap plastic hard case the I picked up from the apple store. It was enough to protect from scratches on the back but nothing else. I just got an incipio dualpro case in grey/white combination. The only thing I don't like about the new case is the silicone collects dust.

kanaz40

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
Polished iPhone 5 (sanded down to raw aluminum)

iphone 5 aluminum.jpg

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I'm a little obsessive but have carried my black 5 with just a "best skins ever" skin. I dropped it last night and it bounced along the concrete a couple of times. It chipped the glass in the corner, the bounced and chewed a little by the headphone jack.

Cosmetically, it didn't hold up well, even with the skin on (the skin doesn't cover the edge and that's what hit pretty good) but functionally it's fine. Fortunately, I have AC+ and can get a new one using an accidental damage claim and $50 if I choose. I will probably keep this one for a while though and use my claim when it's time to pass it to my wife or when she gets a new phone. It will help me learn to not be so obsessive about my stupid phone ha ha ha

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Same for me, so I went with a sticker boy and couldn't be happier, it protects the phone maintaining the look

Last edited:

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Hi,

I have just received my new black iphone 5 from O2 (UK).

It has come to my attention that the black iphone 5 is very prone to scratches and looks terrible within a few days.

I am so disappointed, I paid a premium for the iphone 5 over a SIII because I wanted the premium feel of the aluminium finish.

Are there any other purists out there? How have you overcome this issue without wrapping you iphone in plastic or some bulky case?

If there really is no solution, I may try to swap it for a white model, I wonder if anyone has some pointers on how to achieve this?

The phone is still in its factory seals until I can figure out what to do, I hope someone can help out soon.

Thanks in advance,

Dot

Your best bet is to get a thin bumper and front and back screen protectors so you preserve the look of the iphone 5 but still have some protection.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I carried my iPhone 5 (white) in a case for a while until I had an issue with the phone itself and I had it replaced at the Apple Store with a brand new one.

While I was waiting at the store, I was walking around checking out the display units and I realized how beautiful and thin and just SHINY this phone is. It just looks so good and that was just a store demo unit.

I haven't used a case on my iPhone 5 since I got my replacement around November of last year. Yes, it has wear and tear and yes you might drop it but IMO it's just a phone.

I'm SO glad I broke the case buying addiction that I had a the time. I wish I could return all of the one's I bought for the iPhone 4. :(

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
For me, I was going to buy applecare + regardless cause I have a small kid who, no matter how close you watch, makes mistakes and spills/breaks things. Then, knowing the deductible was $50, I figured a decent (not even really great) case is somewhere between$35 and $50... so my options (given the fixed/sunk cost of an applecare + ) are to buy a case for $35-$50 or just carry it naked (skin) and enjoy a really thin phone that looks cool and is not bulky in my pocket... I'll pay the $15 difference between the $35 case and the deductible to get to carry it without. It honestly stands out in a sea of phones in cases... most important to me though is how thin it is in my pocket.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I want to go naked as much as the next guy (ahem...), but why not just use an ultra thin case. I've got the frost Caudabe Veil on mine and it's basically like not having a case at all, but at least I get scratch and bump protection. It's worked pretty well and is inexpensive. More cost effective than paying for insurance, in my opinion.

Anoxy

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
I don't understand the people who freak out over scratches and dings on their iPhone 5. Then they cover it in third party crap that ruins the original design.

I think the metal on the iPhone 5 ages beautifully and I enjoy every scratch and blemish. Just like a nice pair of raw Japanese denim, or leather wallet, the wear adds character. I mean, come on its a consumer electronic device. But at least it's not a plastic POS like the galaxy phones. Embrace the wear and tear and allow your phone to evolve in to a piece of art.

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
I want to go naked as much as the next guy (ahem...), but why not just use an ultra thin case. I've got the frost Caudabe Veil on mine and it's basically like not having a case at all, but at least I get scratch and bump protection. It's worked pretty well and is inexpensive. More cost effective than paying for insurance, in my opinion.

I have the Caudabe Veil as well and it lets me be just a tad negligent with my phone every now and then. I agree with everyone who says why cover up the iPhone. It's such a beautiful thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.