Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I know we all have been saying that the next iPhone will probably be a 5s, i.e. looks like the iPhone 5 with updated internals, but I wonder, what stops Apple from redesigning the external case (could be as simple as perhaps new material, rounded back, whatever) as well and call it the iPhone 6?

I know Apple has had two Ss (3Gs and 4s), but remember, Apple redesigned the original iPhone when they released 3G. What's to stop them from doing that this year? Competition is heating up, pressure is up, and this morning there are reports about potential weak demand. I would't say weak demand, more like the buzz winding down after the holiday rush.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You ask a question nobody but the folks at apple can truly answer. We can make an educated guess based on prior history but its still speculation.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
speculation? You should be aware of the product cycles of the iPhone by now.. the 5S is inevitable, followed by the 6, then the 6S, etc etc etc

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I know we all have been saying that the next iPhone will probably be a 5s, i.e. looks like the iPhone 5 with updated internals, but I wonder, what stops Apple from redesigning the external case (could be as simple as perhaps new material, rounded back, whatever) as well and call it the iPhone 6?

I know Apple has had two Ss (3Gs and 4s), but remember, Apple redesigned the original iPhone when they released 3G. What's to stop them from doing that this year? Competition is heating up, pressure is up, and this morning there are reports about potential weak demand. I would't say weak demand, more like the buzz winding down after the holiday rush.

Anything is possible and Apple could indeed jump right to a 6. Though, in order to truly create a fresh device, it will require a hardware design *and* an improved UI. There have been no indications of either of those things happening yet.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Even if they redesign the iPhone in the next generation, the screen size will be the same. headphone jack will be at the same place (just moved it to the bottom in the iPhone 5), home button likely to remain there.

What re-design do you call this? 3GS -> 4 is still the greatest improvement since 2007 IMO.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Don't really see the point in an "S" this time round.

The 5 is damn fast. It just needs a couple of things.

What they need to do is revamp the OS, and introduce an option with a bigger screen. More and more people are saying it.

I just got a 5 and ok, it's fine for a couple of years. But after that, if there isn't an option with a bigger screen, I'm gone.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
iPhone 5s or 6

I concur. If the next iPhone does not have a much larger screen or even as an option, I am so out of here. Samsung and others are looking awesome.:confused:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Noone knows. S is typically associated with a significant speed improvement.
3G->3GS changed architectures, huge speed.
4->4S changed architectures, introduced dual core and multithreading, huge speed. Granted 'S' technically stands for Siri here.

5 is already incredibly fast. Few if any functions/apps in sight drag down the dual core A5 of the old 4S. A speed boost isn't going to sell those 4S owning consumers who are ready for a subsidized upgrade on a new device.

Certainly possible, but I'm doubtful.

speculation? You should be aware of the product cycles of the iPhone by now.. the 5S is inevitable, followed by the 6, then the 6S, etc etc etc
'Inevitable'? Just because they've done it twice in the past, doesn't mean it's given. They will do what makes the most sense from a product standpoint, and not some arbitrary naming pattern.

Even if they redesign the iPhone in the next generation, the screen size will be the same. headphone jack will be at the same place (just moved it to the bottom in the iPhone 5), home button likely to remain there.

What re-design do you call this? 3GS -> 4 is still the greatest improvement since 2007 IMO.
3GS->4 was nice that it got Retina. That was a huge, no doubt, direct human interaction upgrade.

But the data speed got ignored, same 3G.
The CPU got a pitiful boost. Same CPU/GPU micro architecture, still single core, just minor frequency bump.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Unless we see something concrete from apple about the naming conventions it is all speculation. The odds are high that it will be an S model, but what happens if they see the android competition gaining ground - they opt for a major update and call it the iPhone 6. My point is we don't know what's going on behind close doors at apple. Right now it is all speculation.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I do hope for a redesign. That brick-like shape is just old and not even very comfortable to hold. But if Apple does a eedesign with a curved back I see them praising it how natural it feels to hold it and so on haha.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I actually like the 5 size. I wouldn't mind the form factor staying similar just new hardware advancements and better os would be nice. Then make a second option of the larger device and were set

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I'm not even interested in the hardware update. I just want something new on the software side. iOS 7 better be good.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I'm not even interested in the hardware update. I just want something new on the software side. iOS 7 better be good.

I think the majority of people are looking for both, a radically better iOS 7, plus a hardware refresh, whatever that is.

In terms of evidence, think about iPad 4, even though we did hear about the update, we never got a single physical mockup or an internal piece, so maybe this time around they are doubling down on security? lol

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

It's always funny coming accross people who know nothing about tech.

How can you tell? They think the 3GS -> 4 upgrade was significant.

It was the second least significant jump since the 3G from the original. If you don't know why, I'd suggest learning more about tech so you dont fall victim to Apple marketing. If I attach a high res monitor to a 15 year old Pentium 3, I didnt just upgrade that computer.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

It was the second least significant jump since the 3G from the original. If you don't know why, I'd suggest learning more about tech so you dont fall victim to Apple marketing. If I attach a high res monitor to a 15 year old Pentium 3, I didnt just upgrade that computer.

Yup that 4 was terrible... probably why the sales were so low.

I mean, most product launches at least generate some buzz. The 4 was so tame it didn't even generate a line, let alone campouts or month long waiting periods.

It was a dark time for Apple. Thank FSM they've recovered from that awful, insignificant, 4 debaccle...

:rolleyes:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I think the majority of people are looking for both, a radically better iOS 7, plus a hardware refresh, whatever that is.

In terms of evidence, think about iPad 4, even though we did hear about the update, we never got a single physical mockup or an internal piece, so maybe this time around they are doubling down on security? lol

I disagree on ppl wanting hardware refresh, the 4S and 5 have number crunching power to spare, brilliant retina displays, excellent cameras, etc.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
If you think about how long it's taking Apple to come out with 6.1, there's no way we'll get much of a change for iOS 7 this year. The shell will also remain the same. Set yourself up for a serious yawner this year. Unless you're looking for MySpace integration. :p

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
If you think about how long it's taking Apple to come out with 6.1, there's no way we'll get much of a change for iOS 7 this year. The shell will also remain the same. Set yourself up for a serious yawner this year. Unless you're looking for MySpace integration. :p

I hope you're wrong, but at the same time looking at Apple's track record.. you may be right :(

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I'm not sure I understand these questions ("What's stopping Apple from releasing a 5" phone, "why doesn't Apple...") They can do whatever the hell they want, they could release a 13" phone if they felt like it.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

yes speculation.How many times have people posted with absolute certainty that Apple will or won't do something(lost iPhone 4 is fake,un-apple;no ipad mini because of some quote from steve...many more)only to look like pompous fools later on.
Is it really so terribly hard to just say"based on recent behavior/statements/released products it looks likely that..."

I will-based on the last few iphone releases it looks very likely the next one will be a 5s,but no one outside Apple knows for sure,no matter what they say on some forum.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009

If Apple does this, there in a **** load of trouble. They need to shake things up. They can call it an S if they want to, but it had better not be your typical S phone. Androids are flyin off the shelves and Apple is starting to feel the bite. This isn't 2009. Apples gotta come with it now before its too late.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It's not a matter of "what's stopping them" or not. It's whatever they happen to have in the pipeline which is anyone's guess. There are any number of things which Apple could do where nothing's stopping them. That doesn't mean they're going to do every single possibility out there. The real question is what convincing evidence do you have that a redesign is on the way? If nothing, then this is no different than any of the other countless random speculation/wishlist threads.

People want both revolutionary hardware and software every time.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I've always wanted and appreciated the internal upgrades. I've felt that they have made meaningful improvements to the user experience.

With the 5 there seems to be so much performance overhead that I would be fine without a hardware revision this year. I also like the size if the 5. If anything, it's already a bit big as a tool for my outdoor adventures.

I'd like some updates to the os. But the phone is already just about perfect for my needs.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States

Did you actually just say that? The 3GS to 4 was by far the best upgrade cycle to date. You are probably some no life tech geek who solely cares about specs and nothing else. Yes they didn't update the architecture. But it became much faster. You are someone who obviously knows nothing. The 3GS to 4 became faster better graphics 100% new incredible redesign thinnest phone for a good year. New incredible retina display the market had never seen before. Much better camera, front facing camera FaceTime. Hdr, and you still think that it is minor?

Lets take a look at the 4s to 5. Bigger screen by a little text still isn't bigger. New redesign which is pretty much the same plus a cheaper aluminum casing. Plus 4g lte which other phones have had for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.