Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
So I have this Lenovo T430s for work, it has great specs, but the graphics on it is just terrible, especially since I have a 15" Retina display MBP for personally use.

I am now debating if I should sell the Lenovo and either get a 11" or 13" Macbook Air or the new gen iPad. The machine I use for work will mostly be for Outlook, and maybe some MS Office stuff, but mostly for Outlook. I dont carry this machine to work as I have a desktop in the office, this device mainly stays at home, and once in a while to a business meeting or when I travel.

The reason I got the Lenovo was to learn Windows 8 a little bit and also have both Mac and Windows machines at home, but after 2 months of use, the Lenovo is just undesirable.

Here's my spec on the Lenovo.

ThinkPad T430s - 1 Year Topseller Express Depot Warranty
Processor: Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64
Operating System Language: Windows 8 Pro 64 English
Display Type: 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
System Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 with Intel Core i7-3520M Processor
Total Memory: 16 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (2 DIMM)
Keyboard: Keyboard (Backlit) US English
Pointing Device: UltraNav multi-touch touchpad & TrackPoint with Fingerprint Reader
Camera: 720p HD Camera Mic
Hard Drive: 180GB Solid State Drive, SATA3
Ultrabay: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim w/ SW Royalty for Windows 8
System Expansion Slots: Express Card Slot & 4 in 1 Card Reader & Smart Card Reader
Battery: 6 Cell Lithium Battery T81+
Bay Battery: 3 Cell Ultrabay Battery
Power Cord: 90W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
Integrated Mobile Broadband: Mobile Broadband upgradable
Language Pack: Language Pack Win8 US English
Microsoft Productivity Software Preload: Microsoft Office Home and Busi

Last edited:

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Get an MBA and install Windows on it for your Outlook needs. You'll thank yourself.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
If you already have a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, I think the MacBook Air would be somewhat redundant.

If mail is all you use THIS device for, I'd say go with the iPad. The Retina display would be fine compared with your MBP and it's a little lighter to carry than the MBA (although not by much). The battery will also last longer and you'll have less redundancy in your lineup of devices.

I hope this helped. Cheers.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
If you already have a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, I think the MacBook Air would be somewhat redundant.

If mail is all you use THIS device for, I'd say go with the iPad. The Retina display would be fine compared with your MBP and it's a little lighter to carry than the MBA (although not by much). The battery will also last longer and you'll have less redundancy in your lineup of devices.

I hope this helped. Cheers.

the only reason i wouldnt get an iPad is because I want the Outlook features, something an Ipad cant give me

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Get a MBA... It's an elite netbook(if you want to even call it a netbook). Past 2 years, I use it for work with MS Office & a couple other needed programs, in meetings and at home as it is very portable with great battery life. So, it really is best used for a travel laptop(deluxe version).

The next-gen iPad will be a total new redesign, so you may think of that as an alternative, but I believe if you need a lot of MS office for work, the iPad still may not be your best bet.

I personally have an iPad & a MBA, and carry them with me pretty much everywhere when needed, all while weighing practically nothing, but I can do so much with so little battery needed. For my own sake, it has been my favorite Apple product since my BlackBook.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
the macbook air will have that same terrible display...actually it will be worse than your current one

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
the macbook air will have that same terrible display...actually it will be worse than your current one

really? the lenovo has a nice graphic card, but their screen is just horrible.
watching a 1080p video is like watching something in the fog.

Ive had a classic 13in MBP before and while its not retina display material, it was the best screen ive seen before the retina

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Ive had a classic 13in MBP before and while its not retina display material, it was the best screen ive seen before the retina

MBA have the ULV processors, they're less powerful.

Also, the MBA is always going to have the 1440x900 resolution.

I love my MBA, but looking to it to watch 1080p is a bad idea.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I'm looking to get this for my windows laptop or just wait for the haswell ones. The screen is the major draw...1920 x 1080
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...231&skuId=6906246&st=asus ultrabook&cp=1&lp=1

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
MBA have the ULV processors, they're less powerful.

Also, the MBA is always going to have the 1440x900 resolution.

I love my MBA, but looking to it to watch 1080p is a bad idea.

i dont intend to watch any videos on the Air, i have the RMBP for that, what really bothers me is when i have to stare at that Lenovo screen for a long period of time it just hurts the eye, i can look at my retina display bm and even my classic one for an hour and never really have a problem

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
i dont intend to watch any videos on the Air, i have the RMBP for that, what really bothers me is when i have to stare at that Lenovo screen for a long period of time it just hurts the eye, i can look at my retina display bm and even my classic one for an hour and never really have a problem

I have to mirror what somebody else said, looking at the uses of your computer.

You should check out the Surface, it's good for all sorts of Windows things.

Also, if the Lenovo is undesirable... you can send it to me! /jk

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
I think I have deicded to go with the Air.

Now im wondering if I should go with the high end Air 2.0ghz 8GB i7 or go for a base 13" Pro w/ Retina??

danistyping

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
I think I have deicded to go with the Air.

Now im wondering if I should go with the high end Air 2.0ghz 8GB i7 or go for a base 13" Pro w/ Retina??

Since you have a 15" retina MBP, having an air or 13" retina MBP is overkill IMO.

I would wait until March for the new iPad to be released. You won't regret that.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA

The T430 screen is just terrible. It looks like a laptop screen from 2002. Band angles, bad colors, backlight bleeding.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
What about a surface?

Hmmmm.... MS trademarked the word 'Windows' and then petitioned that the term 'App Store' was generic and shouldn't be allowed a trademark. Then they go and name their next product 'Surface'. Did they trademark the word 'Surface'?

----------

Are you using Outlook to access your work e-mail? If so, does your office have a web-accessible version of Outlook? My place of work does and I access it using my iPad (and pc, and mac). We have the original iPad and the iPad mini at home and use both all the time. For travel though, the mine will go on the frequent short trips and both on the longer vacations.

That said, since you have a MB Pro, why not install Windows on it and sell the Levano outright? You probably don't really need anything new.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Since you have a 15" retina MBP, having an air or 13" retina MBP is overkill IMO.

I would wait until March for the new iPad to be released. You won't regret that.

my 15' Retina is for personal use only I paid for this machine, the new machine i am getting is for work only and it is being provided by my company, to use at home for Outlook, to use to carry to the office, meetings, business trips, etc

it would be overkill for sure if i was to buy these machines for myself.
But i cant put any work stuff in my personal computer as they monitor everything i do with it

----------

The T430 screen is just terrible. It looks like a laptop screen from 2002. Band angles, bad colors, backlight bleeding.

its so bad because they are anti glare and also matte.

my 2000 Dell 700M has a better screen than this 2012 machine.

Lenovo made these screens for "office environment with dim lighting. but even in the office the screen just sucks

danistyping

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
my 15' Retina is for personal use only I paid for this machine, the new machine i am getting is for work only and it is being provided by my company, to use at home for Outlook, to use to carry to the office, meetings, business trips, etc

it would be overkill for sure if i was to buy these machines for myself.
But i cant put any work stuff in my personal computer as they monitor everything i do with it

Ahhhh gotcha. If work is paying for it and you don't need good graphics performance...get the maxed out retina 13" MBP.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Hmmmm.... MS trademarked the word 'Windows' and then petitioned that the term 'App Store' was generic and shouldn't be allowed a trademark. Then they go and name their next product 'Surface'. Did they trademark the word 'Surface'
What does this have to do with the conversation?

imac5

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Toronto
This seems like a simple enough question:

do you want/need a new computer, or are you looking for a tablet. My opinion is that if you plan on doing any work with it, then go with the computer (MBA). If you are looking for a media consumption device, then an iPad will suit you well.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
What does this have to do with the conversation?

Absolutely nothing:D I had a couple of windows open and the comment was meant to go with the story about the Amazon app store story. Microsoft petitioned the court saying App Store is a generic term and shouldn't be tradmarkable unlike Windows and Surface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.