Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone to Android

• Yay - Switched (Android) and not gone back (iOS)

Votes: 39 33.3%
  • Nay - Switched (Android) and gone back (iOS)

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • Hmm - Considering switching from iOS to Android

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Have both an iOS and Android Device

Votes: 38 32.5%

• Total voters

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Have you switched to an Android device from an iPhone recently?
Post in the poll!

iphone5_vs_galaxy_s3_600_original.jpg

Last edited:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
A year ago I preferred iOS, right now I prefer Android, who knows? If the next iPhone released brings something new to the party I may switch back. :)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I switched from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy SIII, and then on to a Nexus 4. However I still regularly use my third gen iPad.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
My first experience with Android was on a Samsung Captivate a couple years ago. I ended up swapping it for an iPhone 4 after a few weeks of use. The OS was buggy and didn't have the nice polish that iOS had. When my upgrade came up a few months ago, I got an S3 because I wanted to try Android again (and I was getting a bored of iOS). Slapped CM10 on it almost immediately and am loving the look/feel of stock JB. Android has really come a long way in four years.

I still have an iPad, and use it quite a bit, but I don't see myself buying any more iOS devices in the future. It's too convoluted for my liking; I have to dig through menu after menu to do things that take just one or two gestures in Android.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I've been seriously considering switching from iOS but there isn't an Android phone out atm that I like. Will likely wait for the S4 unless they make it bigger

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I've been seriously considering switching from iOS but there isn't an Android phone out atm that I like. Will likely wait for the S4 unless they make it bigger

The screen is definitely going to be bigger but the overall size might not change much. That's still going to make it harder to use though.

----------

Switcher here. 4s to Galaxy Nexus to Nexus 4. Maybe s4 in the future or xperia z.

I own an iPad 3rd gen.

So you're ok with the Z not working on the LTE bands ATT uses? The Nexus 4 might not have LTE but you didn't pay as much for it as you will for the S4 or Xperia Z.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
Switcher here, too. I did an even trade (felt like I got the better end of the deal) with someone, my 4s for his gs3. It only took me a few days with the gs3 to fall in love, so I upgraded to a Note 2.

I have been an iPhone user since the original, so it was a tough decision for me. It's been about a month now, and while I am REALLY enjoying my new phone and have no desire to transition back, there are some things I miss. But the good stuff from the Note 2 outweigh the stuff I miss from iOS, and I still have an iPad.

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
Switched last August after apple would not replace a faulty iphone 4 that they warrantied me. Never going to look back, even after being an iphone user since 07

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Went from iPhone 4 to Razr Maxx to iPhone 5. Have no qualms going back to Android if Apple doesn't "bring it" with their next device.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I was anticipating a switch, I didn't like what I saw from Apple with the iPhone 5, so I went out and bought a Nexus 7 to try Android out before my 3GS' contract expired. I'm really glad I did, as I discovered I don't like Android- I saved myself from 2 years of frustration by getting the N7. I ended up with an iPhone 5, even though initially I didn't really want to get another iPhone, so I was quite disappointed when Android didn't meet my expectations. The iPhone's still great, the 5's performance is amazing, it's by far the fastest phone I've ever used and the App Store is unparalleled in the mobile world (except for the keyboards, launchers, widgets etc ;)). I would have gone for a Windows Phone if I could get the apps I like, but they aren't available on WP yet. Maybe in the next few years I'll be able to switch. I'm definitely getting a Surface Pro in the mean time though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I went from an iPhone 3Gs to a Nexus One, to a Droid X and back to an iPhone 4 (and now 5).

I like the android platform, but a couple things pulled me back to iOs.

First, my embrace of the apple ecosystem. I'm a heavy user of apple's contacts, calendar, iBooks, and of course iTunes (music and videos). While there are apps to help sync my music/playlists it doesn't help me on the videos because of DRM. I do not want to use google's contacts/calendar apps - personal preference. I like iBooks better then kindle but I could live with kindle ebooks.

Second reason probably more important then the prior reason. My company chose to lock out Android completely from their exchange servers. I either had to get a blackberry (shudders) or an iPhone. They've decided now in 2013 to open up the servers on some android models but not all. I need to get my emails for my job, my servers email me when there's a problem and if I don't get them because my phone isn't supported then I'm in deep doo-doo.

Third reason - my kids. They have certain apps they want and having my wife on iOS and myself on android makes it nearly impossible for them to use both devices with the same apps.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Yup. Swapped an iPhone 4S to the Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Other than the overly long product name, it was fantastic. But due to some dodgy pixels on the screen, I decided to return it to Amazon. Unfortunately Amazon UK had none in stock at the time to replace it with - or right now, for that matter.

Until Apple release a larger iPhone or heavily update iOS, I won't be going back anytime soon. I'll wait for the S4 to be announced before I buy back a personal mobile phone, until then the SIM card is in an iPad Mini :)

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
The screen is definitely going to be bigger but the overall size might not change much. That's still going to make it harder to use though.

Yeah, I've heard about that. If the size of the actual device doesn't change then I'd be okay with that. Anything bigger isn't welcome in my pockets.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
iphone to android back to iphone with me.

Iphone 3gs - iphone 4- Droid x - htc thunderbold - incredible 2 - Iphone 4S - iphone 5.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I use both iOS (iPhone 4S & iPad 3) and Android (Xoom & Nexus 10).

My work bought me the iPhone and they pay for the service. So anything I don't like about it (lack of customization) is easily overlooked since its free.

Both have their pros and cons. I could get a 5 but I'm not all that impressed with it. I'm hoping Apple bring some nice updates with the next iPhone, then I might allow my employer to buy it for me. :) If I had to buy it I'd go with Android however.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Switched in May 2011, still prefer Android by far, but always keeping an eye on Iphone/IOS.

iP3G - iP3GS - iP4 - Galaxy S2 - Galaxy s3...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.