Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
whats a good FM transmitter for the iPhone for a car, one that gets clear, good audio...through a cigarette lighter. Not too expensive either please

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
From personal experience I would say that the chinese ones you buy from sites like DX seem to be the best ones. It could be because they maybe use stronger signals as they are not regulated?

oneapplegeek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
If you have the cassette, I would recommend to use cassette adapter. I've used both fm transmitter and cassette adapter, cassette one has much better quality of sound. Even if the fm transmitter comes in a nice quality, i think the noise still can be heard since it's operated through the radio.

Dindorio

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Monster iCarPlay Portable is the best iphone FM transmitter i think so. I think its appropriate for you, because its too good in car. Also its price is reasonable.

Misc Energy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Depends what "expensive" means to you.

The best selling one on amazon is GOgroove FlexSMART which goes for around $45. For some people that might be pricy. The reason why it is popular is because it transmits through Bluetooth so you don't have to plug your iPhone into any device. I like that feature because I like to pass the iPhone and iPod around to my passengers without the hassle of wires. It also comes with a 3 year warranty which is something also good.

A little more cheaper one is from Sunvalleytek which goes for $15. It comes with a remote which controls your iPhone, song playlist, etc. I never tried this product but from the reviews it seems to do the job.

You can read more about these products in this article.
http://supremeskins.com/top-3-fm-transmitter-for-iphone/

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Depending on the car resp. car stereo, there might be an adapter that goes into cd charger port on the stereo and the dock connector on the other side, or the stereo/car might have a Aux or line-in port. Both offer superior audio quality compared to FM transmitters and cassette adapters.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I think the noise still can be heard since it's operated through the radio.
You're thinking of FM modulators. Giuly is referring to aftermarket interfaces that are hard wired to factory stereos. They're not susceptible to the audio quality issues that FM modulators have since they're hard wired and not transmitting over FM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.