Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I hear that all the time about iphone.

What about it is so simple compared to a galaxy s III?

Want to make a call? Press the phone button

Want to take a picture? Click the camera button.

Want to send a text? Press the button

For basic features this phone is just as simple as an iphone and even simpler setting up the app market, copying music (can be a real headache on an iphone) closing all open apps, and a couple other tasks.

Then using the Facebook app, if you want to refresh you can't just press menu then refresh. You have to close it then create open it

Want to turn off wifi because it's holding onto a weak connection? On the iphone you have to go through your settings, then turn it off. On the GS3 you simply pull down the notification bar and tap the toggle for that, gps, Bluetooth, flashlight, hotspot, airplane mode, auto rotation and even adjust brightness.

Much easier on this phone than the iphone.

You don't want to tinker around under the hood? Then don't.

You don't have to because the OS just works, right out of the box at that.

So where did the whole "iphone is just so much easier" stuff come from?

And no, the point of this thread is not to bash apple (I'm a former iphone 4 and current ipod touch user myself) but just wondering where this idea came from?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

What about it is so simple compared to a galaxy s III?

Want to make a call? Press the phone button

Want to take a picture? Click the camera button.

Want to send a text? Press the button

If any smartphone had issues replicating what a dumb phone does, then I'd be worried. There's nothing groundbreaking about this.

Apple's simplicity comes in different areas: sync, backup, ActiveSync, baked-in social media integration. And quite frankly, I find myself having to "fix" the problems that my Android-using friends and colleagues have way more often than my iOS-using friends and colleagues.

Then using the Facebook app, if you want to refresh you can't just press menu then refresh. You have to close it then create open it

Uhhh, what? On the iOS Facebook app, all you have to so is swipe down to refresh.

And no, the point of this thread is not to bash apple

Yeah it is.

but just wondering where this idea came from?

People's opinions, of which they are perfectly entitled to have. So, you love your SGS3? Think it's better to use? Great! Enjoy it! For someone who wants something to be so simple, you're wasting an awful lot of energy "not bashing" other platforms.

Last edited:

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA

This is incorrect. All you have to do is scroll up until it says release to update, and then release it.

But the ease of use comes from the ecosystem. iCloud syncs everything over to all apple devices, Mac and iOS. And then, you have the Genius Bar, helping with the device when your stuck. Plus with the iOS App Store, everything is supported, you don't need to check if it fits the screen size or the requirements. Plus you need to watch out for any sort of malware/virus on Android, even if they aren't in extreme abundance. Plus all OS updates come right when they are out, not after a year or two. It's just easy.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I keep trying to tell myself that Android is better, and then I use their app store, buy games etc that run on my iDevices just fine but run like absolute crap on my Nexus 7 which is supposedly more powerful.

I give up with it for the third time. Until developers optimise their apps on Android for flagship devices then there is no point if you're into your downloads like I am.

iOS wins for me - yes it's stagnant and boring but it works, and the games run great.

My Nexus is going back in the morning.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
It's because the iPhone doesn't have a task manager. Because of the limited multitasking, battery life is very consistent on iOS.

On Android, it's very easy for an app to get crazy in the background and drain the battery.

Also, the iPhone has unified memory. On Android you can get up to 3 partitions. Even on the GS3, you can't put apps on the sd card.

Things like that make people think that the iPhone "just works".

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
If any smartphone had issues replicating what a dumb phone does, then I'd be worried. There's nothing groundbreaking about this.

Apple's simplicity comes in different areas: sync, backup, ActiveSync, baked-in social media integration. And quite frankly, I find myself having to "fix" the problems that my Android-using friends and colleagues have way more often than my iOS-using friends and colleagues.

Uhhh, what? On the iOS Facebook app, all you have to so is swipe down to refresh.

Yeah it is.

People's opinions, of which they are perfectly entitled to have. So, you love your SGS3? Think it's better to use? Great! Enjoy it! For someone who wants something to be so simple, you're wasting an awful lot of energy "not bashing" other platforms.

It isn't bashing, just a serious question.

Android is so simple my 15minth old son picks up my phone and knows how to look through y pictures or take new ones of his own

As far as pulling down to update, that's IF it works. There are many times I've had to do that over and over to get it working.

And sync is debatable.

Want to put music on an iphone?

Open iTunes which takes forever to open, then add the music, then if you added a whole album, you have to unchecked any songs you don't want.

It's easier to simply drag it all over and have it run rather than using special software.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Overall, Android really got into the current more-or-less "primetime" state not that long ago, since about version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), and some would even say even 4.1 (Jelly Bean). So, while the whole "it's just simpler" overgeneralization might not fully apply these days for the most part, it did quite a bit until not that long ago.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
This is incorrect. All you have to do is scroll up until it says release to update, and then release it.

But the ease of use comes from the ecosystem. iCloud syncs everything over to all apple devices, Mac and iOS. And then, you have the Genius Bar, helping with the device when your stuck. Plus with the iOS App Store, everything is supported, you don't need to check if it fits the screen size or the requirements. Plus you need to watch out for any sort of malware/virus on Android, even if they aren't in extreme abundance. Plus all OS updates come right when they are out, not after a year or two. It's just easy.

If it's so easy why do you need a "genius bar?"

Go in an apple store and notice how most people there are there with a problem

Then I sell phones (verizon) and the iphone users have more problems than droid, galaxy S 3, and other Android users combined.

But I'm the first to admit apple makes THE BEST tablets by far.

Android tablet apps have a long way to go

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
S3 has a plethora of options, way more than the iPhone. That alone makes it more complicated.

Some users don't get on very well with file systems, which you don't have to deal with on the iPhone.

Every installed app is on the home screens or in folders on iOS, but on the S3 you can hide applications.

S3 has WiFi Direct, Android Beam, S-Beam, loads of extra photo sharing features, etc.

You can replace the default apps on the S3 with your own, like email, SMS, etc.

Amongst other things...

appleisgod

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008

Android is so simple my 15minth old son picks up my phone and knows how to look through y pictures or take new ones of his own

As far as pulling down to update, that's IF it works. There are many times I've had to do that over and over to get it working.

And sync is debatable.

Open iTunes which takes forever to open, then add the music, then if you added a whole album, you have to unchecked any songs you don't want.

It's easier to simply drag it all over and have it run rather than using special software.

I've never had that issue with the Facebook app. Even if that was an issue, that's developed by FACEBOOK not apple. Can't fully judge apple on something they didn't build.

I have no idea where your gripe with iTunes is coming from. Not only does it open in a matter of seconds on my Mac, the syncing between iTunes and my iPhone is beyond simple. Quickly check the playlists I'm currently listening to, and tell it to sync while my phone sits in the other room. I don't know how it could get much simpler than that.

Psycho Mantis

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
California

And sync is debatable.

What is exactly so hard about iTunes? It opens up in about 2 seconds for me. I manage all my music on my PC, set up a smart or regular playlist, sync that playlist, done. No need for all that checking and unchecking you talk about. I like having my playlists all in iTunes so I can easily organize and choose what music I would like to listen too. With having a large library, iTunes makes it incredibly easy to have that all organized instead of just having it in thousands of files to "drag & drop."

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I keep trying to tell myself that Android is better, and then I use their app store, buy games etc that run on my iDevices just fine but run like absolute crap on my Nexus 7 which is supposedly more powerful.

I give up with it for the third time. Until developers optimise their apps on Android for flagship devices then there is no point if you're into your downloads like I am.

iOS wins for me - yes it's stagnant and boring but it works, and the games run great.

My Nexus is going back in the morning.

I don't blame you.

Nexus is nice, nicer for movies due to resolution but overall the ipad is way better.

Yeah you're limited without jailbreak but I'd prefer that to badly designed tablet apps

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
S3 has a plethora of options, way more than the iPhone. That alone makes it more complicated.

Some users don't get on very well with file systems, which you don't have to deal with on the iPhone.

Every installed app is on the home screens or in folders on iOS, but on the S3 you can hide applications.

S3 has WiFi Direct, Android Beam, S-Beam, loads of extra photo sharing features, etc.

Amongst other things...

More options doesn't mean more complicated. One can easily ignore every single option.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013

Amongst other things...

Options don't make things complicated if you decide not to use those options.

The phone works perfectly fine without them

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

And no, the point of this thread is not to bash apple (I'm a former iphone 4 and current ipod touch user myself) but just wondering where this idea came from?

Don't know. Perhaps you should Google it or call Apple direct ;)

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I used an S3 for a very short time in between my 4S and 5. I couldn't get the darn thing to talk to my Mac for the life of me. I know Google puts out an Android transfer app for Macs and Androids, but after extensive research I kept finding that some Samsung firmware update broke it for the S3 and the Gnex.

It drove me nuts.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I've never had that issue with the Facebook app. Even if that was an issue, that's developed by FACEBOOK not apple. Can't fully judge apple on something they didn't build.

I have no idea where your gripe with iTunes is coming from. Not only does it open in a matter of seconds on my Mac, the syncing between iTunes and my iPhone is beyond simple. Quickly check the playlists I'm currently listening to, and tell it to sync while my phone sits in the other room. I don't know how it could get much simpler than that.

I guess iTunes is different on an apple pc, im still on Windows (for now at least, next month is another story...) but on Windows it takes up to 5 minutes to open, linger than any other program on my computer

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
More options doesn't mean more complicated. One can easily ignore every single option.

Options don't make things complicated if you decide not to use those options.

The phone works perfectly fine without them

You're both wrong.. it makes it harder to find what you're looking for.

If someone wants to share something but doesn't know the best way to do it, and they see all of those options, they might be like what the hell is Android Beam and S Beam?

Edit: has anyone ever used Firefox's about:config? They hide all of their advanced options in an area that is "hidden" from the user, so that they don't bog down their main options dialog. That's so that users can find what they need to without having to see thousands of options they have no need for.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
You're both wrong.. it makes it harder to find what you're looking for.

If someone wants to share something but doesn't know the best way to do it, and they see all of those options, they might be like what the hell is Android Beam and S Beam?

They may see those options, but they just shrug it off, ignore it, and end up clicking on share on Facebook like they would just do on the iPhone.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
I don't blame you.

Nexus is nice, nicer for movies due to resolution but overall the ipad is way better.

Yeah you're limited without jailbreak but I'd prefer that to badly designed tablet apps

It's not even that badly designed for a low end, plastic tablet.

It's just the app optimisation and lack of native apps which I was expecting to be a lot better tbh.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
They may see those options, but they will end up clicking on Facebook like they would just do on the iPhone.

If they need Facebook yeah... if they want to send it to a friend who's in the room with them, they could do that by using Android Beam, S Beam, WiFi direct, email, messages, bluetooth, or another app like Bump.

Too much choice confuses some people. Some people like choice, but others would rather be told or at least guided what to do.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
I guess iTunes is different on an apple pc, im still on Windows (for now at least, next month is another story...) but on Windows it takes up to 5 minutes to open, linger than any other program on my computer

I agree with this - iTunes is crap for Windows.

I run it on both my i7 MacBook and i7 Alienware, and it runs better on the slower Mac than it does on Windows 8. Not to mention it has other bugs and issues. I think they purposely gimp it on PC to make you come to OSX..

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

5 minutes, you sure?! That's not normal :p

Takes ten seconds on mine; way longer than any other app I can think of, but not ridiculously long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.