Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOzzie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Melbourne
Any story that sheds any light on an updating iPod Classic has my interest!

Bigger HDD, Lightning Port, etc... Common Apple!

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Is it really that hard to figure out? I think it's a brilliant solution to a very annoying problem.

Imagine you're walking and have your iPod in your pocket. A song comes up you don't want to listen to. If you have this clip-on device attached, you can simply reach in and hit the next button--easy to find in your pocket since it's got actual buttons. This is something that is next to impossible to do with the current generation of iPods and iPhones that are primarily controlled by touch.

Now, let's see if Apple is smart enough to design this to also work as a game controller.

They could do it by headphone (i mean skipping songs)

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a coworker a few days ago about the state of phones and the rising trend of the "Phablet" I pointed out that I am getting bored with the size of my iPhone 5, and despite the awkwardness that would come with a larger screen, I believe that is eventually going to trump the ergonomics of using a phone with one hand.

To me, I would LOVE if Apple just stuck the phone capability into the iPad mini, or something just a little bit smaller. (Being serious). That would introduce a challenge though, how to use the phone with something so large/awkward. Obviously bluetooth headsets pose one solution, but some people don't like talking with those. This clip isn't the answer, but it makes me wonder if there is some way to streamline the design of a "Detachable" portion of the iPad that could double as a handset/phone when disconnected. Anyways, just rambling, but Apple is no doubt watching the "phablet" trend very closely.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
this nonvention seems kinda stupid.

also, i wish they would post the patent publication number so we can see the publication ourselves.

----------

The concept seems pretty archaic when we already have this.

that's a really cool keyboard...i wish that video showed the keys inflating and deflating.

as for apple's patent application, a patent can be granted so long as the application discloses something that is different (not necessarily better) than what's out there already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.