Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amad3U5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Sydney
I want to buy an Apple Extended Keyboard to use with my MacBook Pro. Naturally, this means that I must purchase an ADB to USB adapter. However, no manufacturer seems to make these anymore, and the scarce units on eBay are incredibly expensive. So I discovered that ADB is simply Apple's version of Mini-DIN, and found Mini-DIN to USB adapters for significantly cheaper.

So my question is: can I use a generic 4-pin Mini-DIN to USB adapter for use with my Mac, or must I opt for the more expensive ADB to USB?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
While they share the same connector, they do not share the same electrical signals. It'll fit, but not work.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Not only that, but you're confusing the connectors. The ADB port is NOT the 8-pin mini-DIN serial port you're finding adapters for. ADB is a 4-pin mini-DIN connector that shares the physical characteristics (but not the electrical ones, obviously) with S-video.

Here's an adapter that looks like it'll do ADB:
mJntgCINNCaEk7pljXc_myA.jpg

But these serial adapters won't:
mxBBR2FTCJbzFmFiMVq99lQ.jpg

Last edited:

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Dave Schmidt is correct in his pictures...the top one is the Griffin iMate ADB to USB adaptor, which will work, but is now very rare:

Newegg page

The bottom pictures are of a serial to usb converter, which has a differing number of pins.

Following up on Dave's comment, I have regularly used S-Video cables with my ADB Mac Keyboards and old Mac's, and have never had a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.