Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont know if you guys heard anything but a well known iphone unlock seller U.F. on ebay told me that pretty soon ebay will be banning unlocking sales on their site.
Wonder if they got pressured from either Apple or AT&T to stop offering these types of auctions on their site? Ebay gets a cut from thousands of such auctions so Im sure they might not be too excited to stop them.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I dont know if you guys heard anything but a well known iphone unlock seller U.F. on ebay told me that pretty soon ebay will be banning unlocking sales on their site.
Wonder if they got pressured from either Apple or AT&T to stop offering these types of auctions on their site? Ebay gets a cut from thousands of such auctions so Im sure they might not be too excited to stop them.

I don't know, but what i would like to know is what the hell happened to Unlock Fusion?? They not doing iphone unlocks anymore? I knew i should have done mine ages ago.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Yes, looks like they're cracking down on them. All the reputable sellers are getting their listings removed, one by one.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Well tbh they're kind of committing fraud.

The only way to unlock a phone is via a carrier - so these people must work for a carrier, or know people who do, and slip the iMEIs into the system.

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
This reminds me of when they stopped "selling" mixtapes online. Instead you would buy a sticker for like $5 and when you received your package it had a CD in it.

Soon there will be listings for "iPhone (some word to replace unlock)" where you are buying a wallpaper or something and get the unlock for free.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I've always been afraid to use this service for fear that AT&T might crack down and blacklist my phone. Though, I've not read about someone having trouble.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I don't know, but what i would like to know is what the hell happened to Unlock Fusion?? They not doing iphone unlocks anymore? I knew i should have done mine ages ago.

Yes, that's who told me about it. Unlock Fusion.
I guess they already started removing all unlock auctions.
If you are a regural customer of his that did multiple unlocks he will send you an email with his website to purchase the unlocks from there instead.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
I suspect that it has to do more with eBay refusing to list non-physical items and services.

There was a whole section of alternative eBay crap that got wiped out recently when they started to refuse to sell remote tarot readings and custom spell castings on the site.

Yes, somebody would actually pay a stranger somewhere to "cast a spell" for them via eBay.

Now if you really think about it, paying somebody to magically "unlock your phone" for you remotely isn't that far off.

eBay is trying to get away from dealing with sales of nonphysical items because there is no paper trail for disputes, and now that they're in the PayPal business, dealing with disputes is a big deal for them money wise. There's no proof, no tracking number, etc.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I suspect that it has to do more with eBay refusing to list non-physical items and services.

There was a whole section of alternative eBay crap that got wiped out recently when they started to refuse to sell remote tarot readings and custom spell castings on the site.

Yes, somebody would actually pay a stranger somewhere to "cast a spell" for them via eBay.

Now if you really think about it, paying somebody to magically "unlock your phone" for you remotely isn't that far off.

eBay is trying to get away from dealing with sales of nonphysical items because there is no paper trail for disputes, and now that they're in the PayPal business, dealing with disputes is a big deal for them money wise. There's no proof, no tracking number, etc.

True.
This is more like a service than a good.
I heard about some other crazy items they had on auction like people selling spells, ghosts etc...

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Damn....I should have sold my ghosts when the selling was good. They are really piling up in the closet.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Man this sucks. I am getting an iPhone 5 on the 1st of Feb. I was planning on purchasing this as well day one. Should have bought it a couple weeks back then did the IMEI after I got my phone.

DANG!

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
There are still other places to get these unlocks. Some of the sellers have websites and around here in my city there are lots of people who do them locally for about the same $10 price.

wenglish

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
That's not his site.
That's a fake.
He still sells them for $2 each on his website swift unlocks.
When I last went to that site (after getting the URL from a different thread here), I was prompted for a username and password. I've only bought one unlock from him, and the email/zip that were (I think) used for that eBay transaction didn't work in the username/password fields.

I'm still hoping to buy two more unlocks in the next couple of weeks. It didn't occur to me to buy all three at the same time (late December) and hold onto two of them.

Mike

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
When I last went to that site (after getting the URL from a different thread here), I was prompted for a username and password. I've only bought one unlock from him, and the email/zip that were (I think) used for that eBay transaction didn't work in the username/password fields.

I'm still hoping to buy two more unlocks in the next couple of weeks. It didn't occur to me to buy all three at the same time (late December) and hold onto two of them.

Mike

You would need to create an account on his website to purchase an unlock, $1.99

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Yes. What my Greek buddy said above.
His company is called swift unlocks.
Your eBay user Id and password won't work.
You just gotta register with your email address and then you can go ahead and purchase unlocks from unlock fusion.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Seems there is some new US law that makes it illegal to unlock your phone without the carriers' authorization, which goes into effect on 1/26/2013.. Thats probably got something to do with all these sellers withdrawing their unlock lisitngs.

Figures, only in the US, corporations are protected and bailed out while common folk get the shaft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.