Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I just want to have a clutter-free desk, and my computer being open doesn't really help then. It takes up a lot of space and even though I have the space (I have a large L-shaped desk) I just want to work at a clean and empty desk.

That said, if I need to use multiple "windows" I just add a Mission Control desktop. Unless you want to look at two things at once you really don't need to have two displays nowadays.

I cleaned up my desk just now (yay for cable management!) so here's a pic to stay OT.

I'd recommend the TwelveSouth BookArc and BassJump to everyone that uses a MacBook. They're absolutely great accessoires.

Very clean, looks great!

It definitely does look better, but I've been using dual monitors for years and just love it too much. Like when writing a business letter or a paper or something you can have notes or research open on one screen, and the paper itself on another.

That said, I saw one of these at a MicroCenter the other day and thought they were too cool;

http://www.hengedocks.com

Basically all of the connectors for your cables get stuffed inside it, and you just slide the MacBook/Pro/Air into it and 'dock' it. With the mid-2012 Pro (and most other models) it would be pretty cool, because ALL of the cables are on one side. Could really get a clean setup that way.

Cable management is a problem on my desk! I'll admit it :eek:

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
5nXP7Fb.jpg

Recently switched to a clamshell mode set-up with just one monitor. Tempted to get one of those dock things, but my MacBook hides away pretty nicely in the keyboard draw in my desk which means it still can be accessible. This is at my university house, so the desk is cheap and small :(

J.Appleseed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2012
The Netherlands
Clean setup.

Thanks!

Very clean, looks great!

It definitely does look better, but I've been using dual monitors for years and just love it too much. Like when writing a business letter or a paper or something you can have notes or research open on one screen, and the paper itself on another.

That said, I saw one of these at a MicroCenter the other day and thought they were too cool;

http://www.hengedocks.com

Basically all of the connectors for your cables get stuffed inside it, and you just slide the MacBook/Pro/Air into it and 'dock' it. With the mid-2012 Pro (and most other models) it would be pretty cool, because ALL of the cables are on one side. Could really get a clean setup that way.

Cable management is a problem on my desk! I'll admit it :eek:

Thanks!

Yeah, the hengedock seems great but I prefer the looks of the BookArc :)

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Where did you get the iMac stand? That is awesome

I made the stand mostly myself, and just used the design of the iMac stand itself
I had the stand heat formed into the correct angle, and then I cut it into shape, and polished the sides.

these pics show the setup with my old 2007 iMac.

0476457.jpeg
0504926.jpeg

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Nice. Do you prefer the 13" MBP or the 13" MBA? :D

To be honest, it's a toss up. I've been getting more into my photo skills, etc and having the large storage (aside from a 2TB and 320 External) work well with the MBP. It's a bit slower given the SSD, but what can you do.

I usually bring the MBA to work everyday and carry it with me wherever I go, so I love that part. The battery life leaves something to desire, but again, I'm not too picky and understand that things have their ups and downs.

All and all, both great, but I would really like an iMac at home since the wife keeps asking if she can have one of 'my' computers ;) haha

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I made the stand mostly myself, and just used the design of the iMac stand itself
I had the stand heat formed into the correct angle, and then I cut it into shape, and polished the sides.

these pics show the setup with my old 2007 iMac.

That looks awesome! How does it hold the iMac? Drilled stand or something? Not thought of using the VESA mount (guess you can't with the 2012 though), although the original stand probably makes a nice little shelf for something.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Got something called a surfshelf for the treadmill

treadmill by uofmtiger, on Flickr

I also have the iPad on a shelf in the closet for the pic, but mainly use one or the other depending on what I want to do.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
That looks awesome! How does it hold the iMac? Drilled stand or something? Not thought of using the VESA mount (guess you can't with the 2012 though), although the original stand probably makes a nice little shelf for something.

The old iMac 2007 was drilled through the stand (no warranty anyway), en with the new one I used the hole in the stand to attach it, I made a custom holder, and four rubber bumps to stop it from rotating.

iMac%20steun%20bevestiging%20s.jpg
Imac%20stand%203ds.jpg

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
The old iMac 2007 was drilled through the stand (no warranty anyway), en with the new one I used the hole in the stand to attach it, I made a custom holder, and four rubber bumps to stop it from rotating.

Genius! I'm sure you could sell these somehow, especially since it requires no modification to an iMac to be done.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8069/8237440649_8e36e8192f_c.jpg]Image[/url]
12-2-2012 Messy Desk

Still working on getting a bigger desk. Sorry for the mess. Was working this morning

I never noticed how big the 27" iMac was until I saw this picture lol. Nice setup!

----------

i got my 27"er last week - i've been working on this study room, almost finished, just cable management and i'm done. :):D

I like your decal in the back! :)

Otaillon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Québec

Recently switched to a clamshell mode set-up with just one monitor. Tempted to get one of those dock things, but my MacBook hides away pretty nicely in the keyboard draw in my desk which means it still can be accessible. This is at my university house, so the desk is cheap and small :(

What clock is that?:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.