Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IDG News Service reports that Kariem McFarlin, the burglar who stole $60,000 worth of Apple products and other items from the home of Steve Jobs' family last July, has been sentenced to seven years in prison. McFarlin entered the home while it was undergoing renovation and stole two iMacs, three iPads, three iPods, an Apple TV, jewelry, and other items.
REACT officers found McFarlin with help from Apple security, which tracked where the stolen devices were being used by matching their serial numbers with connections to Apple iTunes servers. The IP address in use matched a line in McFarlin's apartment in nearby Alameda that was also being used by an Apple device registered to a member of his family, according to a police report. [...]

McFarlin admitted to the burglary under questioning by Palo Alto police and said he had stolen from other homes in the San Francisco Bay Area, including two homes in Marin County, four homes in San Francisco County and one home in Alameda County.
jobs_home_renovation.jpg
Renovation work on the Jobs family home in July 2012 (Source: Forbes)
Immediately following the burglary, officials indicated that it appeared to be a random crime of opportunity due to the renovation going on at the house, with McFarlin having been unaware that he was targeting the home of Steve Jobs' family. At the time of his arrest, McFarlin still had a number of the stolen items in his possession, while others had been distributed to friends, including an iPad that made its way into the hands of a local clown.

Article Link: Burglar of Jobs Family's Home Sentenced to Seven Years in Prison

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
That's not even cool.... seven years is a lot of time for burglary.... but at least he was caught.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
"while others had been distributed to friends, including an iPad that made its way into the hands of a local clown."

This is my new favorite line I've read in a MR news article.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
"while others had been distributed to friends, including an iPad that made its way into the hands of a local clown."

This is the my favorite line I've read in a MR news article.

"Here, I'll give you this expensive Apple product if you give me this balloon for my son"

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Seems like a long time.

Multiple burglaries. Multiple home invasions. He plea bargained for the 7 years. Could have been like 17 years max penalty.

That is a long time for stealing stuff. I wouldn't want to see that much time for a first offender, but since this guy has been doing this over and over at multiple homes, I think it is reasonable.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Well Think of the positive. When he comes out, he'll have access to iPhone 8S, iPad 11, Ultra-slim-ultra-retina-display MBP, and 90 inch Apple TV. Then he can do it all over again.

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Holy **** that's a harsh sentence! Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

I know it's to different penal-systems, but still, the punishment doesn't really seem fit for the crime...

If I didn't know better, I'd say it's because it was Steve Jobs house.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
Rachael Lee was the leader of the "Bling Ring" who stole an estimated 3 million dollars worth items was only sentenced to four years in jail...

Alexis Neiers was sentanced to 180 days in jail and only served 30 after being involved in the 3 million dollar theft ring....

JM-Prod

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Wow...

Armed robbery and shoot a police man, and you get about 7 years in Norway. A bit on the short side if you ask me, but on the other hand.

7 years for stealing a few consumer items... that's pretty insane.

Lyiand

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
So does this mean Apple has the capability to track stolen Apple devices for customers, but just wont't?

carlemil

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
That's a long time considering how small the penalties for violent crimes sometimes are.

On another note, sounds hardcore when you have something called Apple Security, assisting local law enforcement. I imagine some sort of Apple SWAT team, breaking and entering :cool:

gnagy

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
Armed robbery and shoot a police man, and you get about 7 years in Norway. A bit on the short side if you ask me, but on the other hand.

7 years for stealing a few consumer items... that's pretty insane.

I wouldn't want my consumer products stolen, and a 7 year sentence sends the right message to other criminals. I think the punishment is about right.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
yet Mrs. Lohan still walks around freely and rapists get released after 2 years for "good behaviour"

redic

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
So does this mean Apple has the capability to track stolen Apple devices for customers, but just wont't?

I doubt they're equipped to handle the mass amount of people who would ask, and there's all sorts of liabilities involved. (Prove you are the actual owner and not just a stalker, for example.)

But they offer the "Find My Mac" and "Find My iPhone" service, which is way more than you get from any other vendor.

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
In Croatia:

2 people dead in a car accident (they weren't wearing seat belts), 11 months.
4 people dead in a car-truck collision, typing on the cellphone, destroying evidence, 8 years.
Execution, bullet to the back of the head, 4.5 years.
Possession of marijuana, for personal use, enough for 3-4 joints, 2.5 years.
Obduction, rape and murder, one victim, 40 years.

Things are not always proportional. But repeated offenders should get the biggest sentences.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Multiple burglaries. Multiple home invasions. He plea bargained for the 7 years. Could have been like 17 years max penalty.

That is a long time for stealing stuff. I wouldn't want to see that much time for a first offender, but since this guy has been doing this over and over at multiple homes, I think it is reasonable.

Breaking into someone's house is a much more serious crime than just stealing stuff. He's lucky he wasn't shot to death. He only loses 7 years of his life instead of all of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.