Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hurtle

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2004
London, England
Wow, you Americans have harsh sentencing, no wonder you have the highest incarceration rate in the world, if he was black he'd have got the chair. :)

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Armed robbery and shoot a police man, and you get about 7 years in Norway. A bit on the short side if you ask me, but on the other hand.

7 years for stealing a few consumer items... that's pretty insane.

The US penal system may be a bit odd in comparison to other parts of the world. Though he is sentenced to 7 years, he may actually only serve about 4 before being released on good behavior. The only way he gets longer if he brawls, stabs another inmate, sells contraband or steals a warden's iPad while in prison.

It is quite unfortunate that he did not steal because he was destitute. He was just opportunistic. He and the other clown were found playing with the devices.

I wonder if we all can receive integrated police and iTunes tracking service in the event of theft. The article made it sound like sophisticated surveillance. Is this just Find My Mac (Phone)?

See Flat

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Armed robbery and shoot a police man, and you get about 7 years in Norway. A bit on the short side if you ask me, but on the other hand.

The article seems to imply that he got seven years for the Jobs home burglary.
The sentence is for all the burglaries he admitted too. So if yo want to dice and slice... he might have gotten 1 year for the jobs burglary, would probably be out in 3 months for good behaviour.

Does that sound less cruel and biassed to you?

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
In Croatia:

2 people dead in a car accident (they weren't wearing seat belts), 11 months.
4 people dead in a car-truck collision, typing on the cellphone, destroying evidence, 8 years.
Execution, bullet to the back of the head, 4.5 years.
Possession of marijuana, for personal use, enough for 3-4 joints, 2.5 years.
Obduction, rape and murder, one victim, 40 years.

Things are not always proportional. But repeated offenders should get the biggest sentences.

"Obduction, rape and murder, one victim, 40 years."

Must have been the obduction part that put the sentence over the top.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

I assume you've never been the victim of a home invasion. It changes your life. It can trigger Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It's a total violation of your liberty and security. It's not the loss of some consumer items. You'll give a rats ass about that when it happens to you.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I wouldn't want my consumer products stolen, and a 7 year sentence sends the right message to other criminals. I think the punishment is about right.

It's because it's "many" counts of burgurly, not just one. If the State were real dicks they could charge him with 3 seperate crimes "in a row" as a habitual offender. The law can be merciful when its just one crime. When its "career" crimes they get harsh fast. Otherwise there would be no way to keep order from all the petty criminals....

Then honest people start setting traps and killing criminals over trivial things.

33scottie33

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
New York
Will Madoff serve 7 years?

Really?

Bernie Madoff got 150 years. Do the math.

From Wikipedia:
"On June 29, 2009, Chin sentenced Madoff to the maximum sentence of 150 years in federal prison. Madoff's lawyers originally asked the judge to impose a sentence of 7 years because of Madoff's old age."

Bernie is currently 75 and has served 3.5 years so far. If he dies before he turns 79, he would have not served 7 years for the crime!!

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
$60,000 worth of Apple products...... [he] stole two iMacs, three iPads, three iPods, an Apple TV.......

I know apple mark up the price of their products, but come on $60,000.
In England, burglary can be up to 14 years for domestic properties and 10 for commercial. So this sentence sounds about right.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Where is the firebreak around those homes? Isn't this in the hills where they get forest fires on a regular basis? Those trees are "right against" and "overhang" the houses...

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Reading about what he did and how quickly he confessed (including crimes the police had not connected him too) suggests that he is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic and he got some very poor legal advice. You got to wonder how his life started off, what kind of parents he has, what his mental aptitude is..

I always find this kind of stuff very sad, its a human life destroyed, a family broken apart, its certainly nothing to make jokes about. I would bet that the vast majority of macrumour's peeps started off life with much better circumstances than this guy.

EvanBlive91

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2009
Well Think of the positive. When he comes out, he'll have access to iPhone 8S, iPad 11, Ultra-slim-ultra-retina-display MBP, and 90 inch Apple TV. Then he can do it all over again.

I don't think this guy will want to see another Apple product again

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

And you think that's reasonable? It seems to me that this was either a person fully conscious of what they were doing and decided to do it, in which case they deserve death for being such a gross hazard to society, or they don't understand what they were doing and they need to go to a psychiatric institute so that we can make this guy a... non-hazard to society, I guess... failing that we need to make sure he can never arm himself again... and if that's not enough, I guess he needs to go an asylum for life.

Having said that, seven years for even repeated robbery seems a bit extreme to me... petty theft doesn't really make you a hazard to society... no life was put at danger as a result of this...

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
So does this mean Apple has the capability to track stolen Apple devices for customers, but just wont't?

I think they will if requested by the police, but Apple never deals directly with their customers when it comes to stolen products. In fact, it's their policy to never even acknowledge it as stolen if a customer tells them so. The customer has to report it to the police and the police will have to contact Apple as part of the investigation.

I assume you've never been the victim of a home invasion. It changes your life. It can trigger Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It's a total violation of your liberty and security. It's not the loss of some consumer items. You'll give a rats ass about that when it happens to you.

Oh "boo-hoo, I'm traumatized"... You can't seriously compare PTSD to being murdered? But yeah, it's not that 7 years for home invasion and theft is too high, it's that the sentences for violent crimes often is disgustingly lenient.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
$60,000 worth of Apple products...... [he] stole two iMacs, three iPads, three iPods, an Apple TV.......

I know apple mark up the price of their products, but come on $60,000.

You conveniently left out the jewelry. Those electronics only add up to $30,000 at absolute most, I think.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Holy **** that's a harsh sentence! Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

I know it's to different penal-systems, but still, the punishment doesn't really seem fit for the crime...

It's funny that some people find 2.8 years for shooting someone to be an appropriate sentence. Another person states you have to kill someone to get 7 years in prison.

I, on the other hand, find it offensive that people aren't hung from a tree limb for shooting someone. And 7 years for breaking into a house and stealing $60,000 worth of goods is a serious grab, not the first time for this guy either. I say he's getting off lucky considering he'll probably be paroled in two to three years.

This country is too willing to accept excuses, and far too willing to "go easy" on criminals.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
You forget he'll get out in 2.5-3 yrs on good behavior only federal crimes do you actually serve the full sentence in California for everyday of good behavior he earns a day off his sentence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.