Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Since I posted earlier about wanting a bigger iPhone, I figured I should provide a follow-up since I recently decided to upgrade my 4S to a 5. First off, I wasn't really looking to upgrade, as I was in the camp of wanting a bigger screen and wanted it wider, too, but my daughter's iPhone 4 was giving her problems (broken power button), so we decided I'd give her my 4S and I'd upgrade. I took a short trip to the AT&T store so that I could play with the Galaxy Note II and the new Windows phones. Those were all very nice, but I found that it wasn't quite the night-and-day improvement I was expecting in terms of being able to read the tiny fonts when viewing a desktop-optimized website. I did like the neat-factor of the Windows UI, but wasn't sure if it was necessarily more useful/usable, or just neat looking. I also played with Galaxy Note II's stylus and drawing app, wondering if I'd fall in love with that, but it didn't do that much for me, either (I do love the idea of a pressure-sensitive stylus for an iPad-sized device for artistic purposes, but on a smaller screen, I don't see myself doing a lot of art work).

I knew going in that the iPhone 5 would likely be my new device because of the fact that I was "locked in" (mostly happily) to the Apple ecosystem. Between my MacBook Air, multiple Apple TV's, and the fact that my wife and daughter both had iPhones and we could purchase one app and install it on all of our devices, or instantly pick up each other's phones and navigate around as needed, it would take a lot to get me to switch to a different OS.

After buying the iPhone 5 and using it for a bit, I found that I did like the thinness of it, and the taller screen is more impressive when playing back 16:9 videos, as I expected it to be, but I don't see myself doing that very often. The taller screen does make it more uncomfortable to use one-handed, requiring me to shift my hand around a bit. Where I have the most difficulty is when I'm lying in bed and holding the phone up to check something. I rest the bottom of the phone on my right pinky and because of the angle of it, it wants to fall forward. I'd have to remind myself how/why the 4S was different/better in this regard, but I don't think I had a problem with that. Still, I don't think I'd want to go back to the 4S's screen, if given the choice. And I think I'm still in the camp that I'd prefer to go bigger, even if it means a further loss in some one-handed usability. But I can also appreciate that not everyone feels that way, and there are legitimate advantages to the smaller screen size.

Part of my point in posting this is to say that I think the idea of Apple giving people a choice of a couple different screen sizes would be a *good* thing, and not a crazy idea, as it has been portrayed by some. Also, the rebuttal by some that, "well, if you don't like the screen size Apple offers, you have plenty of choices among Android and Windows phones," is weak, because changing OSes is not an easy decision, and there are some people who, even if they're not as "locked in" as I am, may actually *prefer* the Apple iOS and want to have both the iOS *and* a larger screen (imagine that?). Offering a 2nd model with a larger screen would be *easy* for Apple, if they don't change the resolution. They may not be able to call that larger 1136x640 screen "retina" anymore, but I still think that resolution would be more than sufficient for a large number of people. I'd be interested to know how many people longing for a larger-screened iPhone feel like an increase in resolution is a must. I suspect many/most of them simply want a larger physical screen, for readability, better video viewing, etc., even if it didn't offer any bump in resolution.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
I don't see how Apple can impact customers and developers with black bars all over again.

everytime somebody mentions different screen size options for an iphone, there's always somebody who starts yelling about "poor developers yada yada yada".

reality check for you guys: Nobody gives a ******** about developers. They get paid for what they do. And if they have to make an app for 4 instead of 3 different screen sizes, well boo ******* hoo they'll just have to make it.

this video always comes to my mind when i read posts like that

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Is this thread still going?

Fragmentation.

Thus no bigger screen, at least for a few years.

Man, folks are still talking about fragmentation? That was farted out like it was the main reason for users to pick up an iPhone and Android apps are still being made by real developers.

Any app worth downloading is cross platform, and coded to run on many different devices, on many different OSes.

Besides, like Apple's iOS devs/ecosystem, every Android app around is made to work with the handsets from the current and previous generation. Anything after that is a crap shoot.

Fragmentation is pretty moot.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
My problem with the 2" wide screen of the 4S and 5 is that i can barely read a book or web page, the text is so small. I gave up trying to watch postage size movies on a 'phone' a long time ago so 16:9 means nothing to me. More height wont help an office that's too small.

vaio1990

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
It's pretty bad, and only getting worse. If you're interested, the following articles explain pretty well why developer support has overwhelmingly been on Apple's side:

The shocking toll of hardware and software fragmentation on Android development

iOS v Android: why Schmidt was wrong and developers still start on Apple

Current estimates peg the AppStore as having sold about 20x more than the Google Play store. I've read that some developers have actually had to hire additional support staff just to handle the onslaught of emails which came in after deciding to support Android, the majority of which were handset specific complaints. The developers are deciding to put their resources towards a second iOS app, instead of porting their existing app to Android.

One specific dev complained their Android app had 1/4th the revenue as their iOS app, while costing 4x to support. He ended up dropping Android altogether once he realized it was costing him 16x more to bring his apps to market.

good stuff man.. keep 'em coming

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Try android. I've done it twice already and came back both time. While I love the s3 the screen gave me headaches from all the glare. Many people it works perfectly. Just try it why not. If u like android I'm sure you'll be able to sell your iPhone 5 for a decent profit since they hold their values.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Man, folks are still talking about fragmentation? That was farted out like it was the main reason for users to pick up an iPhone and Android apps are still being made by real developers.

Any app worth downloading is cross platform, and coded to run on many different devices, on many different OSes.

Besides, like Apple's iOS devs/ecosystem, every Android app around is made to work with the handsets from the current and previous generation. Anything after that is a crap shoot.

Fragmentation is pretty moot.

Not really, the black bars on the 5 was maddening.

So, wrong.

charliecc

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

Why the reluctance to switch to android. Perhaps old Android was bad, but new Android is brilliant. I made the switch from the iPhone 4 to a Galaxy Nexus when they announced the disgrace that was the 4S, and I've never looked back.

Android does everything I need and more, it's much better than the iPhone IMO. I really can't see me going back to iOS anytime soon, it's just so tired and restrictive. I currently have the Nexus 4 and can highly recommend it (if you can get hold of one), it's the best phone I've ever owned.

I don't know how people can stick with exactly the same phone for 4 generations, iPhone 4 = 4S = 5 = 5S. Sure, the iPhone 5 has an ever so slightly bigger screen, but really it's just an iPhone 4. Where has the innovation gone, come on Apple, I was blown away when I got my iPhone 3G, now I would buy 50 other phones before yours.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

Well I had the SGIII for 3 weeks, can not use it with one hand, that being said, I think Apple should have moved to 4.3 or 4.5 but not much larger, or come out with a Pro Model with more Storage and larger screen, the 5 is nice, but I know what you mean on trying to read stuff, I find myself doing pinch and zoom a lot, and one reason I in fact plan on getting a White 32GB LTE iPad Mini for AT&T. I hardly make calls anymore, and with the iPad Mini I can use it for everything but regular calls. Mae the iPad Mini have phone capabilities and I am sold, squinting at this little 4.0 inch screen gets bad sometimes, and I think over a period of time, will hurt your vision, but I do not know this for sure.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Well I had the SGIII for 3 weeks, can not use it with one hand, that being said, I think Apple should have moved to 4.3 or 4.5 but not much larger, or come out with a Pro Model with more Storage and larger screen, the 5 is nice, but I know what you mean on trying to read stuff, I find myself doing pinch and zoom a lot, and one reason I in fact plan on getting a White 32GB LTE iPad Mini for AT&T. I hardly make calls anymore, and with the iPad Mini I can use it for everything but regular calls. Mae the iPad Mini have phone capabilities and I am sold, squinting at this little 4.0 inch screen gets bad sometimes, and I think over a period of time, will hurt your vision, but I do not know this for sure.

So the GS3 was too big for you, but you wish the iPad Mini had phone capabilities so you could use that instead?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
So the GS3 was too big for you, but you wish the iPad Mini had phone capabilities so you could use that instead?

Obviously not on a regular basis, just that the iPad Mini does everything except the phone parts.

If I am sitting on the cair watching tv, I just wish the Mini could ring instead of having two devices...lol

Would give new light into having Phone Sex :)

Terrified

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I got my Note 2 Thursday and I can't look back to anything smaller. It's a beast but the entire package is well rounded. Trying to kill the battery is a fun exercise that takes almost 22 hours to accomplish with my hard usage.
And to say Android sucks or is crap is just a defensive knee jerk reaction to protect what you have known for years. Don't believe everything you hear or experienced before Ice Cream Sandwich. Jelly Bean with touchwiz takes stock Android to a new level.

I passed on the iPhone 5 because I know Apple is going to keep that 4" display and resolution for at least 2 to 3 years while Android makes 1920x1080p standard across many sizes. The iPhone 5 is still great and has it's place for it's ease of use and size. That's why I bought one for me wife. I need a bigger kick and the Note 2 delivers.

I had the first generation note for a few months. Screen size was great, but the battery life was utterly dreadful. Plus TouchWiz was bloody awful.

Shame. It's the only Android handset I've tried that I was happy with outside of those issues. Stuck Nova launcher on it, which solved the TouchWiz problem, but still found it lagged and that the battery life was woeful. Had to charge it all the time.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
I had the first generation note for a few months. Screen size was great, but the battery life was utterly dreadful. Plus TouchWiz was bloody awful.

Shame. It's the only Android handset I've tried that I was happy with outside of those issues. Stuck Nova launcher on it, which solved the TouchWiz problem, but still found it lagged and that the battery life was woeful. Had to charge it all the time.

If this guy is trying to say TouchWiz is not the problem with Samsung smartphones, well, then, he's just lying through his teeth.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Why the reluctance to switch to android. Perhaps old Android was bad, but new Android is brilliant. I made the switch from the iPhone 4 to a Galaxy Nexus when they announced the disgrace that was the 4S, and I've never looked back.

Android does everything I need and more, it's much better than the iPhone IMO. I really can't see me going back to iOS anytime soon, it's just so tired and restrictive. I currently have the Nexus 4 and can highly recommend it (if you can get hold of one), it's the best phone I've ever owned.

I don't know how people can stick with exactly the same phone for 4 generations, iPhone 4 = 4S = 5 = 5S. Sure, the iPhone 5 has an ever so slightly bigger screen, but really it's just an iPhone 4. Where has the innovation gone, come on Apple, I was blown away when I got my iPhone 3G, now I would buy 50 other phones before yours.

Sorry but i dont see how Jelly Bean is innovation. iOS has had a smooth consistent OS for the longest times. Apple still has the best hardware in the business until next-gen Android devices come out

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Sorry but i dont see how Jelly Bean is innovation. iOS has had a smooth consistent OS for the longest times. Apple still has the best hardware in the business until next-gen Android devices come out

Jelly bean added more major bugs than new features.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Back to the Forum question.

Apple needs to have 2 sizes of Iphones just like they have 2 colors.....let the customer choose what makes them happier. Proof of this is that a gamer would prefer larger while a businessman might prefer a more pocket size Iphone Or maybe even a 'high end Iphone that incorporates extra features

That would be even better if they did one that was 3.5", but unfortunately, I don't think that form factor is coming back. Oh well, HSPA+ will be around for a few more years, so I can hold on to the iPhone 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.