Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac32

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Hi!

I can't find the CPU temperatures for my iMac. I have a late 2012 iMac with an i7 3.4ghz CPU. Both the iStat Pro or iStat menus will not report any CPU core temperatures. The only temperature is "CPU Proximity", which maybe is the heatsink..? Any way to fix this?

Thanks.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi!

I can't find the CPU temperatures for my iMac. I have a late 2012 iMac with a i7 3.4ghz CPU. Both the iStat Pro or iStat menus will not report any CPU core temperatures. The only temperature is "CPU Proximity", which maybe is the heatsink..? Any way to fix this?

Thanks.
Some fixes need to be applied to make iStat Pro run properly on ML. You can download the fixed app here.

From the thread: iStat Pro replacement?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks. Now processes is displayed again, but still no CPU temperature(s) here either. I only have ambient, HD, GPU and memory. :confused:
Are you sure you have a CPU installed? :D

Seriously, it could be a failed or disconnected sensor on the logic board. I'd take it to Apple and let them diagnose it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It says "0"

Then that means the CPU heat sensor is not in properly or their is a problem with he sensor itself. Go to Apple to get it fixed.

Are you sure you have a CPU installed? :D

Seriously, it could be a failed or disconnected sensor on the logic board. I'd take it to Apple and let them diagnose it.

One more reason why your robot responses should go away. Next time actual take time to analyze before posting. This is my last post on this thread about said issue. Further saying anything will be reported as thread hijacking.

Mac32

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Thanks for the replies, it can't be a broken sensor, because I use HDInfo64 in Windows 7 (bootcamp), and this program reports individual temperatures for all 4 CPU cores.
Maybe it's an issue with the latest iMac model - not being properly supported yet by these system monitoring programs? Anyone with a late 2012 iMac who could confirm this?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
One more reason why your robot responses should go away. Next time actual take time to analyze before posting. This is my last post on this thread about said issue. Further saying anything will be reported as thread hijacking.
There were no "robot responses" in this thread. I suggested the same thing you did, that a sensor failure or connection may be the source of the problem. You post your way and I'll post mine.
Thanks for the replies, it can't be a broken sensor, because I use HDInfo64 in Windows 7 (bootcamp), and this program reports individual temperatures for all 4 CPU cores.
Maybe it's an issue with the latest iMac model - not being properly supported yet by these system monitoring programs? Anyone with a late 2012 iMac who could confirm this?
That is possible, which is why I recommended the "tweaked" version of iStat Pro. It corrected 2 or 3 issues, but I don't recall if CPU temps was one of them. Those reporting apps get their information directly from your Mac, though, so I'm not sure why temps would show on Windows but not on OS X.

Mac32

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Puh, seems it's a software support issue. I purchased Temperature Gauge by Tunabelly Software, and here I can see all the CPU temperature readings. Was a bit worried there for a while.. :) I'm sure it's a new main logic board that's causing the lack of CPU readings in some programs.
Sent an email to the guy who made iStat Menus about this issue. Hopefully he will fix it soon.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Puh, seems it's a software support issue. I purchased Temperature Gauge by Tunabelly Software, and here I can see all the CPU temperature readings. Was a bit worried there for a while.. :) I'm sure it's a new main logic board that's causing the lack of CPU readings in some programs.
Sent an email to the guy who made iStat Menus about this issue. Hopefully he will fix it soon.
I'm surprised iStat Menus wouldn't work properly, as they just recently updated it: iStat Menus Updated With New Look, History Views, and Bandwidth Monitor

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008

hi, i noticed the same issue with my late 2012 iMac, no temp reading works even tried magician paster, does temperature gauge work perfectly?

Thanks

Mac32

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
iStat Menus have been updated, and now works with the latest iMac models. You should see all the CPU temperatures there.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
iStat Menus have been updated, and now works with the latest iMac models. You should see all the CPU temperatures there.

hmmn okie, which is a better software? stat menu or Temperature Gauge by Tunabelly Software? have you tried both on your new 2012 iMac?

Thanks..

Mac32

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
hmmn okie, which is a better software? stat menu or Temperature Gauge by Tunabelly Software? have you tried both on your new 2012 iMac?

Thanks..

I have both, and I prefer iStat Menu. Both do what they are supposed to do, but iStat Menu has a much better interface. iStat has also more functions, and is more tweakable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.