Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just over a year after TwelveSouth released its PlugBug Mac and iDevice charger, it has gone international. The new PlugBug World is the same as the original, but includes five swappable prong adapters for use in the UK, Continental Europe, Australia, New Zealand, North America, Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Japan and a number of other countries.

plugbugworld.jpg
PlugBug World is an international version of the popular Twelve South PlugBug. PlugBug World brings the dual charging convenience of PlugBug to Mac users everywhere. PlugBug uses the clever trick of attaching to any Apple MacBook Power Adapter by replacing its attached plug or extended power cord. When snapped into place, PlugBug not only allows for worldwide charging of MacBook, but also provides a separate 2.1-Amp USB charger for iPad/iPhone. Once attached, simply select your local plug, or use your extended cable, to power both your MacBook and iPad or iPhone from a single outlet. This powerful accessory is a lifesaver in locations where finding multiple wall outlets can be a challenge, and where charging your MacBook and iPad quickly is mission-critical to your next meeting or presentation.
The PlugBug World is available at TwelveSouth.com for $44.99 / £39.99 / 44,99 EUR.

Article Link: TwelveSouth Releases PlugBug World for International Charging

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
I have to say I do like the solidity and design of our (British) 3 prong plug compared to others...even if it does stick out a bit

ncollingridge

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
UK adaptor too BIG!

Why in the world does the UK adapter need to be so BIG! The Apple one is a fraction of the size and does the exact same job.

Attachments

• UK-Plug-Adaptor.jpg
    UK-Plug-Adaptor.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 262

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
Why in the world does the UK adapter need to be so BIG! The Apple one is a fraction of the size and does the exact same job.

Are you referring to the plugbug? It adds a usb to charge the ipad or other idevice simultaneously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London

It isn't that big anymore, they shrunk it down a few years back, but yeh it used to be ridiculous. It's a LOT thinner now, especially on the rMBP Magsafe 2 extension cord and airport express wall plugs (before it became apple tv like).

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
I have to say I do like the solidity and design of our (British) 3 prong plug compared to others...even if it does stick out a bit

Personally I find our 3-pin plug a PITA. Aside from them always falling prongs up so you stand on them (probably the most painful thing you'll ever stand on) the earth pin is largely redundant nowadays as nearly everything is double-insulated so its only function is to open the gates on the line and neutral sockets.

I like the European design where the earth connector, if required, is on the edge of the plug.

As for PlugBug, it's a great idea but why can't you buy the individual plug separately? I don't reckon I'd ever need any more than the UK and EU ones so the other three would be a waste of money.

nawazsumar

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
Do they sell this without the plugs at all. Surely you have your own plug bit from your power adaptor you want to add this too. Sure its white but its the same?

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
The question people should be asking is: Can you now plug a PlugBug into another PlugBug that is plugged into a power adapter? Or how about a chain of them?

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I think some people do not understand this product:

plugbug-world-macbook-air-white.png

power for your MacBook + 10W USB using one power outlet...

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I think some people do not understand this product:

power for your MacBook + 10W USB using one power outlet...

Agreed.

Now comes the question.. For someone who purchased the original PlugBug, could they replace their unopened original box for this one, and pay the difference.

BL.

Mikey7c8

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Montreal, Canada

Gah, it's way too massive IMHO. Such a pain whenever I'm in london or singapore. :p

The Euro plug is almost my preference, the US one would be except in some situations it has a super annoying tendency to fall out due to the weight of the charger - haven't had this happen with the euro one and it fits both ways. Win :)

The Au one only goes one way.. and therefore you miss out on being able to plug in in certain spots.

I got the original reason btw, not sure i'd use it but then I don't use an iPad. I get the use-case though :)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
This is awesome. Going to save bringing 1 charger when traveling and one power point at home :)

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
...Now comes the question.. For someone who purchased the original PlugBug, could they replace their unopened original box for this one, and pay the difference.

That becomes a question of store return/exchange policy. If it is unopened, I do not see why you could not exchange it and pay the difference, why would the store not want a little bit more cash?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
That becomes a question of store return/exchange policy. If it is unopened, I do not see why you could not exchange it and pay the difference, why would the store not want a little bit more cash?

Good question..

Also, interestingly enough, this may explain the disappearance of the PlugBug from most of the Apple retail Stores (at least the ones in my area: none were available at the stores in Sacramento, Roseville, or Reno). I wonder if they may just 'reappear' again...

Anyone notice similar at your local Apple Store?

BL.

gbredneck

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
+1 purchase from me!

Bought one for travelling in the US, always wondered why they didn't do one for the UK

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The Au one only goes one way.. and therefore you miss out on being able to plug in in certain spots.

Can you elaborate on this? We use the same one in NZ and while I understand "only goes in one way", I'm not sure what you mean about "certain spots".

Edit: I just remembered that once I was at a hotel and couldn't plug in my charger because they'd put the power sockets right down by the floor (which happens to violate wiring guidelines that state a minimum of 300 mm from the floor).

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Can you elaborate on this? We use the same one in NZ and while I understand "only goes in one way", I'm not sure what you mean about "certain spots".

I believe he means that two of the prongs are slanted, compared, to say, US plugs, which are straight. In the US, if you don't have the third prong (for the ground), you could flip your plug upside down, and still be able to plug in.

When I was living in Australia, I couldn't do that. Try flipping your plug upside down, and plug into the socket in the wall. the prongs will be at right angles to the connectors in the socket.

BL.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe he means that two of the prongs are slanted, compared, to say, US plugs, which are straight. In the US, if you don't have the third prong (for the ground), you could flip your plug upside down, and still be able to plug in.

When I was living in Australia, I couldn't do that. Try flipping your plug upside down, and plug into the socket in the wall. the prongs will be at right angles to the connectors in the socket.

BL.

Yes, I understand what "only goes in one way" means :rolleyes:

I just mean that I'm hard-pressed to think of any reason (other than the poor design mentioned above) that you'd actually *want* to plug it in upside down.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The question people should be asking is: Can you now plug a PlugBug into another PlugBug that is plugged into a power adapter? Or how about a chain of them?

That will be a feature on Apple and Intel's forthcoming ThunderBug adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.