Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you like to see in the new iPhone

• Bigger Battery

Votes: 51 51.0%
  • Bigger Screen

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Thinner

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
For changes to the hardware I'd mostly like to see the home button become a capacitive button. And don't give me that BS about accidental presses. That doesn't happen (even in landscape mode).

I do like the idea of live tiles!

I have a Windows Phone and I really love the live tiles. If Apple did something similar then I'd be so happy and probably come back to the iPhone.

Last edited:

akasch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
I want the little square on the home button to turn into a multicolored notification light.

Edit: Damn someone already said it

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Being able to see just my unread emails in the email app. I know....That's software but that's the feature that I want.

Genius my friend. Genius.

I would love this.

----------

Rumours of the next iPhone/iPhones are coming earlier than any other idevice I have seen.

With that in mind what is the one plausible feature you would add if you had the key to the factory? :)

Mine: NFC mobile payments

As worried as people are about dropping their iPhone I hope scratch and shatter resistant.

Oh and totally smudge resistant for like 2 years.

Toops

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
NFC not for payment but maybe use it for exchanging contact information instantly. And maybe more UI customizations

setty7

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
a little bigger screen (4.3"-4.7")

Multi-color LED notification light(or the home button like someone stated earlier)

problemless wifi

better battery life

faster processor(although the i5 is fast!)

REAL multi-tasking (split-screen)

app killer (hate the double touch home screen crap)

updated siri (app intergrated)

live tiles

maybe widgets

much much moree

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
a little bigger screen (4.3"-4.7")

Multi-color LED notification light(or the home button like someone stated earlier)

problemless wifi

better battery life

faster processor(although the i5 is fast!)

REAL multi-tasking (split-screen)

app killer (hate the double touch home screen crap)

updated siri (app intergrated)

live tiles

maybe widgets

much much moree

Sorry, you'll need to start a new thread with the following title:

iPhone 5S - you can add 10+ new features

sandwicher

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
For changes to the hardware I'd mostly like to see the home button become a capacitive button. And don't give me that BS about accidental presses. That doesn't happen (even in landscape mode).

I have a Windows Phone and I really love the live tiles. If Apple did something similar then I'd be so happy and probably come back to the iPhone.

I'm sorry but it's not BS. Accidental presses happens a lot. At least on the SIII it does. Even if you manage to "control" your fingers, say you place the phone in your pockets/bag. The capacitative buttons gets activated by the stuff in the bag, your screen lights up = waste battery.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Assuming form factor will be the same and iOS updates do not count...NOTHING! My iPhone 5 is amazing!

If we get into iOS updates, I'd like self-updating Weather and Clock icons like how the Calendar icon is.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Everyone saying that NFC is useless since it isn't used anywhere yet is looking at it the wrong way. If the iPhone got NFC, there would be a much stronger push for places to use it. There's not much infrastructure built for NFC yet, because there aren't many phones that have it.

And for people saying that the iPhone has a notification light and that it's the camera flash used for deaf people have got to be kidding me. Please, just stop.

karuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
4.65 inch screen

Notification LED

"Close all apps at once" button

Ability to put my app icons where ever I want.

Multiple profiles (work/home)

Liquid metal Case

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
a notification LED

iPhone-LED-Indicator-e1309547666691.jpg

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
a notification LED

Nice try, but that would not work. It would need to on the top side near the power on button ( or the button itself become "enlighten"). Because that way when carry in a shirt pocket or belt holster you can see it.
Frontfacing would be redundant to the main screen.

Last edited:

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
I don't own the iPhone 5, but I thought the battery was supposed to be better than the 4S?

It was better then the 4s but once they updated to 6.0.2. it became a constant drain for me, my brother, my dad, and a few of my friends who have a 5.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Nive try, but that would not work. It would need to on the top side near the power on button ( or the button itself become "enlighten"). Because that way when carry in a short pocket or belt holster you can see it.
Frontfacing would be redundant to the main screen.

Almost every phone has the notification light in a similar spot as the picture he posted and that is where it should be. I keep my Android phone on silent at work and it's sitting on my desk and I can see the light flash on the front when I have a message. If it was on top of the phone, I wouldn't be able to see it. The idea is to be able to see if you have a message without having to turn the screen on. I don't know too many people who carry a holster or carry it in a shirt pocket, so I don't think that is the main target audience for notification lights.

heq2011

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
micro sd card slot, or increase base phone to 32gb and add 128 at top of spectrum, 16 gb is no longer enough especially that the iOS takes up nearly 2-3 gb, cmon Apple it only costs you $.41 cents per GB but you have the nerve to charge us way too much???

This is one game change that may make me switch to a Samsung, tired of having to move photos off my phone, or music just to have space.

+1 I would love expandable storage.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I'm sorry but it's not BS. Accidental presses happens a lot. At least on the SIII it does. Even if you manage to "control" your fingers, say you place the phone in your pockets/bag. The capacitative buttons gets activated by the stuff in the bag, your screen lights up = waste battery.

Capacitive buttons wouldn't be activated by stuff in a bag. But a physical home button would. So currently that's a problem but if they switched to a capacitive button then it wouldn't.

Sure, at first you may have accidental hits with your hand while you get used to it. But once your hands "learn" where the capacitive button is, then they'll avoid it.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Wireless charging would be nice and allow us to cut the cable; at least at home

Cut what cable? You'd still need a cable to plug the charger into the wall and the phone would have to sit on it to charge, so what would the savings be?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Almost every phone has the notification light in a similar spot as the picture he posted and that is where it should be. I keep my Android phone on silent at work and it's sitting on my desk and I can see the light flash on the front when I have a message. If it was on top of the phone, I wouldn't be able to see it. The idea is to be able to see if you have a message without having to turn the screen on. I don't know too many people who carry a holster or carry it in a shirt pocket, so I don't think that is the main target audience for notification lights.

So are we all different: when I put my iPhone on the table the existing notification system gives me the feedback I would need. An additional LED would be redundant. But when I walk around the phone rest inside my shirt pocket (and for many other colleagues too). Having a LED on top would be beneficial as I would have a chance to just have a brief look instead to picking the phone from the shirt pocket and check the front side.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Cut what cable? You'd still need a cable to plug the charger into the wall and the phone would have to sit on it to charge, so what would the savings be?

Depend in the solution it could be only one cable required charging multiple devices. Plus if you have a kind of fixed position of a wireless base station hiding the cable is easier.
I just would like to place my devices on a pad and get them charged.
Your concern would be very valid if for each device you have one charger adopting to the shape; that would not so efficient.

Something like this http://www.duracellpowermat.com/powermat/index.html
But build in and without bulky external attached addon to the phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.