Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Wow, looks terrible. As suspected, Kutcher screws up any type of dramatic role with what he thinks is acting. I'm also not too happy about the other guy playing Woz.

And this is coming from a huge fan of this story. I think Pirates of Silicon Valley did it better.

brookshanes

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Midwest
What it reminds me of, is Patrick:

Patrick Star does Steve Jobs:

"I'm Steve Jobs, I'm Steve Jobs, I'm Stevejobs Stevejobs Stevejobs!"

phonitron

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
I like Ashton but this doesn't even come close to Noah Wyle's performance in Pirates. That other guy playing Wozniak is even worse...

Yip, there's only one Steve Jobs in the movies and that's Mr Wyle. Same goes for Woz. This new guy is far too fat and curly... :)

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Sorry but neither of those actors roles were convincing, seemed amateurish, and for me that affects getting into the story. When you have Noah Wyle, becoming Jobs, it touches you as you become part of the story, this on the other hand, well I think it'll be more difficult to become enthralled with the story.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
Why is Woz so much shorter than Steve? Not digging this. Like everyone else says, Pirates of Silicon Valley was more convincing, at least compared to this clip.

This scene about Jobs convincing Woz that his stuff has commercial value feels forced - it feels like it's trying to hit on what we know Steve was good at, just so that we think they're representing him well. I think the actual story is more subtle.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Yeah, they really are trying way to hard. This movie will probably be about as subtle as a toddler banging frying pans.

The script seems really horrible. As if everything they say is just foreshadowing for what's to come. Like they should turn to the camera and give a little wink after every line.

No one wants to buy a computer, right? right? wink wink, knowwhatimean?

Have you read the script? Or are you basing it's "horribleness" on this one scene?

Sorry, but I just don't get your thinking. Foreshadowing is a common story telling device.

The conversation that is being shown here is representative of many coversations that Jobs, Woz and other members of the Homebrew Computer Club were having at the time. They knew that *they* liked/enjoyed/wanted computers. They *thought* that other peopel like them (geeks) would want to use a computer too. But they had no clue that the general public would ever want to use a computer, let alone buy a computer.

In 1943 Tom Watson of IBM said that the entire market for computers in the world was "about 5 computers".

In the 1970's Woz and the Homebrew guys probably expanded this to a computer in every corporation and university and maybe a computer for every geek.

Movies have to combine and condense years of time and hundreds of conversations into 90 minutes. How else do you expect them to do this?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Should've gotten Daniel Day Lewis....if he can do Lincoln's voice to perfection, he could do Steve's.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, so could Tom Cruise. *Ya I know I know, but think about it for a second*

Well, good to know I'm not the oldest one here. I mean, if you can remember what Lincoln sounded like....

sna

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
steve was Syrian (biological)

they shoud get a Syrian Actor to do his role .. and there are alot in syria who look like Steve .

Renzatic

Suspended
Well, good to know I'm not the oldest one here. I mean, if you can remember what Lincoln sounded like....

What? You weren't around when they resurrected Lincoln and had him recite the Gettysburg Address last year?

Where do you live? Under a rock? Without cable? Are you some kinda luddie or something? o_O

----------

Yeah, they should have got a Confederate to play Rhett Butler in Gone With The Wind.

Hey, there's still plenty confederates around, man. Problem is they shoot at you as soon as you get within 500 feet of their compound...

elasticmedia

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
What makes Ashton come off as so unintelligent? Too many bong hits? Head trauma at an early age? Or was it just his unfortunate prize in the gene pool blender party? He just comes off as a real dim bulb.

Renzatic

Suspended
What makes Ashton come off as so unintelligent? Too many bong hits? Head trauma at an early age? Or was it just his unfortunate prize in the gene pool blender party? He just comes off as a real dim bulb.

Probably because we all were first introduced to him through That 70's Show, and we haven't quite shaken that impression of him yet. Probably never will.

And I'm still saying it wasn't anywhere near as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.