Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Of course it is!! If you hooked into the Apple ecosystem it's our flagship phone! Does everything I need it to do!

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Theres nothing out there other than the nexus 4 which I can't get at the moment. Between the SGS3 and the iphone5 I chose. But the third option is just to toughen it out and wait. That is if I can keep my sanity.

At full price it is not worth it. There is a pretty large markup for an unlocked iphone. Then again the Nexus 4 is unusually cheap.
The nexus 4 is likely wonderful, but it's a unicorn. Google made a massive mistake in making so few of them. People will wait, there is pent up demand, but newer must-haves will come, and Google is missing the window the Nexus 4 has created for itself. So it'll be the Galaxy S4, or the next iphone or the Nexus 4 version 2 that will come out. Google iterates so fast that they're onto the next version of android before more than 15% of their userbase even tries out the current one. This would be insane if we said Microsoft released Windows 8 while 85% of users hadn't even upgraded to Windows 7 yet. Yet Google continues to do this. It's kind of odd.
The iPHone 5 is a solid choice, and it's a familiar one, and for many people that's makes it the most attractive option.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
The reason is that I honestly really prefer android over ios. Furthermore I really really want to have a large screen and the iphone 5 just isn't cutting it.

Above is your answer to your own question. Congrats you have decided you really actually want a droid device, big screen and all the rest of the malware that comes with droids. You can have a selection of big screen phones, from the Samsung Galaxy Note 2, to the S3 or to the Nexus. The choice is yours.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
iOS-Android

My background, is I love MacBook Air but run only in windows 7 environment. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 a year ago and was happy using it. Late last year I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 after T-Mobile announced that Minneapolis was refarmed to 1900 Mhz frequency. My experience has been that while the iPhone 5 is a great device, the network you use it on will determine your satisfaction level. After 2 months of Edge and no service and only occasional 3G on T-mobile's shoddy 1900 Mhz 3G PCS network, Yesterday, i finally went back to my SGS2 on T-Mobile's 1700/2100 AWS network.

My take is that the smoothness of iOs devices is far superior to Android's bugginess. But if you use Google a lot the integration of Google services is better on Android. The Swype function for text input in Android is far superior to the iOs. I can make Wi-Fi calling for free and receive free calls in Wi-Fi area including overseas on my SGS2 with T-mobile but not on the iPhone 5 on T-mobile. My advise thus is look up the carrier while also selecting a phone. Verizon will give the best experience but at the highest price. Sprint and T-mobile will be the cheapest but on poor networks. AT&T is the Middle Kingdom.

Smithwicks

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
I've had the S3, the iPhone 5, the nexus 4, lumia 920 and the htc 8x. Now I'm going back to the iPhone 5 until the 5S comes out. And yes, I am insane. What I've learned is that once that "freshness" of an OS wears off, iOS is still the best for me. Until there's a truly revolutionary OS out there, I will stick with iOS.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Yes, of course, I love my Iphone 5, there will be always a new model, so if the 5 is cool enough for you go for it :)

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Honestly one of the reasons why I love iOS because of its GUI, the clarity of the i5 screen makes it even better. Something about iOS's GUI is just so clean and polished

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Nah, the iPhone 5 is a total piece of junk. Pure crap.

Don't buy it.

Get anything else.

Two tin cans and a string are better.

iPhone 5...ugly, heavy, can't do anything on it, no apps, crummy screen resolution, no tech support, customer service bites....

Why would anyone even consider it.

Get that other one...

:rolleyes:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I didn't want to make this post but this is really my last resort because I am without a smartphone at the moment and I am getting really desperate.

But is the iphone 5 worth it since it was released 5-6 months ago? Furthermore I really wanted to get the nexus 4 but I just can't get a hold of one and certainly not for $350. I am totally at loss what to do. The reason is that I honestly really prefer android over ios. Furthermore I really really want to have a large screen and the iphone 5 just isn't cutting it. Then theres the price and finally the longevity of the iphone5. I just don't if its worth it.

Like I said this is my last resort. I don't have a lot of money. Should I just tough it out and wait for the next generation of phones

First of all, ip5 was released 4 months ago. If you want android go android. I hate when android people are so pressed about bringing iOS down and complains how it sucks. Well if idevices and its ios suck that bad then don't buy it for ****s sake. It's not like u were being forced to buy it, I mean seriously are they that stupid?

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Came from SGS3. I like my iphone5 and in general find that the quality of apps is much better on IOS.
The overall ecosystem is much better when you have apple products like the Atv, iPad, MBP or something like that.
That awaken of the main reasons why I moved to Ip5

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Cause the answer is not that simple. Given two equal iphones, one with android and one with ios, I'd pick the one that runs android. But we are dealing with unequal phones with different features, prices, pros and cons. I thought it was pretty obvious that the answer is more nuanced.

I don't know why I should even explain this. Out of all the android phones I am only interested in the nexus 4. Give me any android phone and I'd pick the iphone 5

I don't know why you should explain it either. You know what you want. How the heck are strangers supposed to tell you? If you don't know if it's "worth it" than it's not.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
First of all, ip5 was released 4 months ago. If you want android go android. I hate when android people are so pressed about bringing iOS down and complains how it sucks. Well if idevices and its ios suck that bad then don't buy it for ****s sake. It's not like u were being forced to buy it, I mean seriously are they that stupid?

The same can be said for the other side now could it?

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
The iPhone 5 is the best iPhone on the market and is still fairly new. If you're in the market for an iPhone then yes it is worth it.

If you're open to any platform then I guess it's worth depends on what you're looking for.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Please help me. I still haven't figured it out. I am trying to list all the pros and cons. I am trying to figure out that the conveniences of android and a larger screen outweighs the pros of the iphone5

Pros nexus4:
- pattern unlock
- swype keyboard
- scrolling
- cheaper
- bigger screen
- full screen web browsing in portrait mode
- google maps is slightly better on android
- android has more longevity

Pros iphone5:
- battery life
- faster and better graphics
- itunes syncing
- lte
- better design
- hardware has more longevity
- better camera
- speaker and headphone quality is better and louder?
- no waiting times. can buy and use it today

Please I beg of you

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Please help me. I still haven't figured it out. I am trying to list all the pros and cons. I am trying to figure out that the conveniences of android and a larger screen outweighs the pros of the iphone5

Pros nexus4:
- pattern unlock
- swype keyboard
- scrolling
- cheaper
- bigger screen

Pros iphone5:
- battery life
- itunes syncing
- lte
- better design
- better camera

Please I beg of you

I don't understand the comment that Android has more longevity? What do you mean? You pretty much know that you will be able to get iOS 7 & 8 as soon as they're released and they'll run fine on the iPhone 5. How long will you keep the phone for anyway? I know Nexus devices are better than other Android for being updated but I would say that is no better than the iPhone.

If you're really desperate, why not get the iPod touch and a cheap phone? You can sell the iPod if you decide to get a Nexus and you can see if you like iOS

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I don't understand the comment that Android has more longevity? What do you mean? You pretty much know that you will be able to get iOS 7 & 8 as soon as they're released and they'll run fine on the iPhone 5. How long will you keep the phone for anyway? I know Nexus devices are better than other Android for being updated but I would say that is no better than the iPhone.

If you're really desperate, why not get the iPod touch and a cheap phone? You can sell the iPod if you decide to get a Nexus and you can see if you like iOS

I know I am opening a can of worms now but I just think android is more innovative then ios and I think that will remain so for quite some time. Furthermore its not just the features or UI of each new version of android its also the initial excitement, the community and the customization/open platform that adds to longevity. And thats why this is such a tough decision for me. I am sorry if offended anyone here but that is just how I feel.

btw I already have an ipod touch 2G but I really need to stay connected with the world everywhere I go. I also thought about the ipad mini with 4G but in the end I concluded that its just not mobile enough.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

Pros nexus4:
- pattern unlock
- swype keyboard
- scrolling
- cheaper
- bigger screen

Pros iphone5:
- battery life
- itunes syncing
- lte
- better design
- better camera

Please I beg of you

- scrolling Can you elaborate on this? This would be the first claim I've seen that any Android device has smoother scrolling than the iPhone 5.
- full screen web browsing in portrait mode Many iOS browsers can do this, I like iCab personally.
- google maps is slightly better on android Personally I don't care for Google Maps, there are much better options out there on iOS.

Honestly, you missed what I find to be the biggest factor, the App ecosystem. For me it's night and day, but it depends on what type of apps you like. Figure out your favorite apps, and pick your phone based on which ecosystem is better suited for those apps?

Do you like games, and higher quality apps in general? Go iOS.

Do you like utility apps that let you program scripts to run in the background? Go Android.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
Is the iphone 5 worth £700 for the 64gb version...NO!!!!, scratchs easy, very outdated OS, screen to small, plus a list of other things, i'v only got one as its a work phone, if you want the best camera, get the Nokia pureview 808, no other phone will be anywhere near it..if you want a better screen size...get a note...you could go on for ages....every phone is different and suits different people, i use the iphone from 9-4 then switch it off, then use my Nexus 4, just for me i prefer the Nexus, horses for courses....

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Ready to crawl over broken glass!!!!

If some genius can put IOS on the Galaxy S4, it would be unbelievable!! Of course I know it can't be done.......maybe.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
- scrolling Can you elaborate on this? This would be the first claim I've seen that any Android device has smoother scrolling than the iPhone 5.
- full screen web browsing in portrait mode Many iOS browsers can do this, I like iCab personally.
- google maps is slightly better on android Personally I don't care for Google Maps, there are much better options out there on iOS.

Honestly, you missed what I find to be the biggest factor, the App ecosystem. For me it's night and day, but it depends on what type of apps you like. Figure out your favorite apps, and pick your phone based on which ecosystem is better suited for those apps?

Do you like games, and higher quality apps in general? Go iOS.

Do you like utility apps that let you program scripts to run in the background? Go Android.
I left the apps out of it cause I have owned the iphone4 and an android device before and I basically use only 3-4 apps which both systems have. Although if I have an iphone 5, I might definitely do a lot more gaming. Its a pro but not a deal breaker by any means.

And scrolling well its difficult to explain but its one of those things I just like better on android and I don't know if I can adjust to the one on ios. In terms of smoothness I find both of them equal but in ios pages only move a fixed distance. No matter how fast you flick your finger. So if a page is very long you will be swiping your screen multiple times. Not with android. Speed of scrolling is determined by the kinetic energy of your swipe.

I like this feature so much and I am kind of surprised that no one ever talks about it.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I left the apps out of it cause I have owned the iphone4 and an android device before and I basically use only 3-4 apps which both systems have. Although if I have an iphone 5, I might definitely do a lot more gaming. Its a pro but not a deal breaker by any means.

And scrolling well its difficult to explain but its one of those things I just like better on android and I don't know if I can adjust to the one on ios. In terms of smoothness I find both of them equal but in ios pages only move a fixed distance. No matter how fast you flick your finger. So if a page is very long you will be swiping your screen multiple times. Not with android. Speed of scrolling is determined by the kinetic energy of your swipe.

I like this feature so much and I am kind of surprised that no one ever talks about it.

Just to clarify the scrolling that you mentioned is setup like that for Safari only and not everywhere or all apps!!

The only phone on which I have been able to reproduce almost iOS like smooth scroll behavior has been the HTC Butterfly ... HTC uses the graphics chip to the fullest unlike Samdung which mostly relies on software based or poor hardware rendering code

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
If the feature set and speed is "good enough", which I think it is on the iPhone 5, the app market is honestly making my decisions. The apps define how I actually use the phone and I still think Apple has a very strong app market. Combine this with other ecosystem benefits, and I didn't really consider Android when I went for the iPhone 5. It would end up feeling like using a black sheep at home, although there are definitely high quality Android phones.

One big deal for me is that Google doesn't have a similar ecosystem. Google TV isn't even marketed here and Chromebooks are totally different computers, so then I'd need to go Windows again, but I think the direction of Windows lately is horrible.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Its a good time to wait.

Apple may very well release the iPhone 5 replacement early. Android competition is forcing Apple to raise its game.

If you need a phone now, AT&T has the 4S for just $100. Its one of Apples best & has great resale value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.