Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
My oldest Airport Express burned out recently and I got a new dual-band version to replace it with. I will be using it with one of the older single band ones in an extended network. Should I connect the new one to the Internet connection and use the older one as the repeater or will it even matter? I was thinking that the newer one would give better initial range because it can broadcast at up to 5GHz.

I use two laptops (08 and 2001 vintage Macs), an iPad and two iPhones in a small single story house with a finished basement. All the computers are on the first floor with a max of three walls between the devices and the router.

Dale

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
My oldest Airport Express burned out recently and I got a new dual-band version to replace it with. I will be using it with one of the older single band ones in an extended network. Should I connect the new one to the Internet connection and use the older one as the repeater or will it even matter? I was thinking that the newer one would give better initial range because it can broadcast at up to 5GHz.

I use two laptops (08 and 2001 vintage Macs), an iPad and two iPhones in a small single story house with a finished basement. All the computers are on the first floor with a max of three walls between the devices and the router.

Dale

Definitely connect the newer one and use the older one as a repeater. Just try and put each of them near the center of the house if you can; the new one on the first floor, and the older one in the basement.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Definitely connect the newer one and use the older one as a repeater. Just try and put each of them near the center of the house if you can; the new one on the first floor, and the older one in the basement.

You may need to play with placement. I had a new AExpress extending from my timecapsule coming from the cable modem. Then I used the early model (so timecapsule to AE-new to AE-old) in my great room, mainly for audio. Microwave oven in kitchen wrecked havoc on the old AE, with multiple drops. Rearranged them so the new one was in the great room, no more issues. No difference in my coverage in the house with the switch, but placement for the old AE was critical for streaming music.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

You may need to play with placement. I had a new AExpress extending from my timecapsule coming from the cable modem. Then I used the early model (so timecapsule to AE-new to AE-old) in my great room, mainly for audio. Microwave oven in kitchen wrecked havoc on the old AE, with multiple drops. Rearranged them so the new one was in the great room, no more issues. No difference in my coverage in the house with the switch, but placement for the old AE was critical for streaming music.

Thanks for the tips. I set this up both ways and using the newer AExpress for the base station gave better coverage in my home. The old one is in my computer room as an extender and it provides full connection speed in my downstairs studio which is just under by computer room.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.