Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Agreed, the competition continues to innovate and Apple just sits there with these incremental changes. No wonder they're losing market share and their stock is dropping.
What innovations?

I haven't seen ANY innovations of note from the competition.

I HAVE seen a lot of copying by these "competitors" of Apple, the true innovators.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Are you saying Apple has no competitors in the tablet market?

I don't happen to like the competitors tablets myself, but that doesn't mean they aren't there... and a lot of them have much better storage than Apple's devices.

No, I'm saying that Apple has no competition when it comes to the SSDs in their iDevices. If a third party could quickly, easily and cheaply replace the Apple SSDs with their own, then Apple would be in trouble.

McEngineer

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
Northern California
Filesystem access

He thinks there should be a user accessible finder mode. Like a computer has.

Personally I have no need for it and don't see Apple doing it after not doing it for so long. They aren't designing iOS for there geek users but the common ones. And the common ones have little need for this kind of view. I think the best we might have are 'buckets' for some common file types like PDF rather than assigning them to them to one particular app that way if you move around apps easier" or perhaps just some kind of easier way to move a PDF from say iBooks to GoodReader or some such.

I think you're right that Apple won't change this any time soon, but I do find it annoying. 128 GB is plenty of space for all sorts of creative workflows that would be so much easier with access to the filesystem. Relying on something like app integration with third-party solutions (Dropbox, etc) is unsatisfying.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I hope they'll get rid of 16 GB versions altogether not just add up one more option making it even more expensive. It's time to make the line up 32/64/128 with no changes in pricing.

I like the 16gb option. I honestly do not need 32gb of space. I usually watch movies or shows on my tv or laptop. And I only have a handfuk of games.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
You're missing the point. Google themselves don't seem to think an SD Card is a necessity. So it's not an Apple is being stubborn thing. :eek:

But SD card support is part of the OS, only Google's hardware does not support it. All the other high end 3rd party devices support SD card access.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Storage is expensive. It's cheapest from Apple than other company. SD cards are a joke stop suggesting it. 2013 is too early for 32 to replace 16 and so on. iOS is not dated. Consumers don't buy Android over iPad, they buy Android when they don't know the difference. Macrumors is a bunch of irrational whiners.

That about covers it.

----------

Well then tell me why Apple's margin increases along with higher capacities?

Yep, selling higher storage options gives higher profit margin to ANY manufacturer.
But nobody can earn as high as Apple on those.

Either you're a tool or really really sucks at math.
Just in case you ask for reference:

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...ttle_more_space_on_your_ipad_and_iphone_.html
Storage is expensive. Oh, please .. YOU must be joking, right, right?

And most of all .. Posilutely, no one cares if you're a sucker for highest storage either. :eek:

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Like what?

Name some recent innovations from the competition.

Apple showed that capacitive multi-touch screens are a much better input method than the keyboards the competition were using... the competition followed.

Apple showed that tablets could sell as long as they were simple and easy to use, unlike old clunky unstable tablet PC's... and Microsoft responded by creating a clunky unstable tablet PC... that hasn't sold.

What innovations?

I haven't seen ANY innovations of note from the competition.

I HAVE seen a lot of copying by these "competitors" of Apple, the true innovators.

That's innovation not made by Apple.

Clunky? Maybe. But that's a start of supposedly a "post-PC" era. You know, something Steve Jobs started. But it's also something Apple ignore nowadays.
Oh wait your little :apple: iPhone and iFad can't do that, iForget .. :rolleyes:

And they use Apple keyboard and mouse too for that. I love the irony.

Yep. You are welcome.

^*..*^

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
iPad and MBA

iPad --> Good 16GB ; Better 32GB ; Best 64GB ; Ultimate 128GB
MBA --> 256 GB ; 512 GB and SSD 4GB ; 8 GB
Then by that time iOS =OSX

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
But they are right in line with the rest of the lineup. Really no surprises here at all.
Not really. Remember when the iPhone was offered in 8/16/32 options and was $199, $299, and $399 respectively?

I'm pretty sure I got my 64GB iPhone 4S for $399 and not $499 so yeah, the surprise is that they haven't ditched the 16GB model and moved the product offerings up to the next tier.

There shouldn't be a more expensive 128GB option. That's ridiculous. There should be a replacement of the 64GB option with the 128GB and, subsequently, a replacement of the 32GB option with the 64GB one that was moved down a price tier with the phasing out of the 16GB option so that it's 32/64/128. The only surprise here is that Apple have the audacity to think that anyone in their right mind would buy an iPad for 949 dollars when for 50 dollars more they can have a MacBook Air... ludicrous...

Andreu

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
I'd love a 128GB iPad, but I'll probably wait until 5th gen

well Samsung is going to release a 128Gb galaxy series crap first...

time to jump ship..

----------

I agree that their focus should be on the software. The hardware in the ipad and iphone is already pretty damn good, but it is not getting used to its full potential in the current state of IOS. Throw things into the software that will truly demonstrate the hardware.

Yeah they should be concentrating on the software but obviously, They're NOT!

fix the bluetooth issues in iOS 6 and then we can talk again Apple.. otherwise, continue the slide into oblivion...

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Upload documents, media, etc WITHOUT Internet access or iTunes. Currently I cannot do this and would love to be able to. If you know of a way to do this, without jail breaking, please let me know!

With internet access 24/7 and almost everywhere.... it have not crossed my mind. Next time i find myself on the top of mount Everest with a pile of files to transfer to my iOS device, i may just give it a try and see if it can work.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Not really. Remember when the iPhone was offered in 8/16/32 options and was $199, $299, and $399 respectively?

I'm pretty sure I got my 64GB iPhone 4S for $399 and not $499 so yeah, the surprise is that they haven't ditched the 16GB model and moved the product offerings up to the next tier.

There shouldn't be a more expensive 128GB option. That's ridiculous. There should be a replacement of the 64GB option with the 128GB and, subsequently, a replacement of the 32GB option with the 64GB one that was moved down a price tier with the phasing out of the 16GB option so that it's 32/64/128. The only surprise here is that Apple have the audacity to think that anyone in their right mind would buy an iPad for 949 dollars when for 50 dollars more they can have a MacBook Air... ludicrous...

Each jump in storage currently is $100. So $799 and $939 do fit with today's pricing. I think Apple knows that people will pay whatever they charge. They give you $5 worth of additional storage and people are lining up to pay an extra $100 for each size bump up. Same for the RAM in the MBP and iMacs. I think it's ridiculous but the bottom line is tens of millions of customers gladly pay it.

Siebler

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Innovation?

"Innovation differs from improvement in that innovation refers to the notion of doing something different rather than doing the same thing better". Wikipedia
... doing the same thing better has become the domain of Samsung.
True innovation is happening on the App front driven by 3rd party developers...
16GB SSD is kiddie stuff and can be found in Samsung freezers. IOS is not capable of handling modern memory needs as Apple needs to lure its faithful flock into iCloud where revenue streams are continuous rather than the one-off payment for RAM!

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
And what US retailer did this information appear with? And if they have these stock numbers, wouldn't that mean a release very soon??

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Never say never about storage. There are some people who could use 128GB on a tablet. And people's storage needs are only increasing. I bought a 64 wifi iPad 4. Not cause I need the 64 GB now. Simply because in the future I don't know if I'll need it. And if I need it I'll be glad I have it. Cause I intend to keep this iPad for a long time.

Anyone who "needs" 128GB on a 2013 tablet is a poor media manager or just plain lazy.

And to say you intend to keep your iPad a long time, sorry to tell you this, but Apple will force you to upgrade long before you are ready. The original iPad is already cut off from Apple and many 3rd party Apps. iPad2 is next. Part of Apple's game is planned obsolesce. Future proofing is futile. Buy what you need for today not so imaginary point in the distant future.

Siebler

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Anyone who "needs" 128GB on a 2013 tablet is a poor media manager or just plain lazy.

And to say you intend to keep your iPad a long time, sorry to tell you this, but Apple will force you to upgrade long before you are ready. The original iPad is already cut off from Apple and many 3rd party Apps. iPad2 is next. Part of Apple's game is planned obsolesce. Future proofing is futile. Buy what you need for today not so imaginary point in the distant future.

64GB takes LOTS of games! For professional use this has proven insufficient "on the road": work related apps plus presentations to the tune of 150+ MB each, AUTOCAD drawings, project related photo documentations, spreadsheet simulations, legal PDF docs, language training & other stuff needed while travelling globally leave no space for private stuff, esp. music. Poor media manager? Agreed in case of gamers, video consumers & virtual (Facebook & co.)
friends should be happy with 16 or even 8 GB.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
64GB takes LOTS of games! For professional use this has proven insufficient "on the road": work related apps plus presentations to the tune of 150+ MB each, AUTOCAD drawings, project related photo documentations, spreadsheet simulations, legal PDF docs, language training & other stuff needed while travelling globally leave no space for private stuff, esp. music. Poor media manager? Agreed in case of gamers, video consumers & virtual (Facebook & co.)
friends should be happy with 16 or even 8 GB.

B.S. I'm an atty and I could load up all my case files for a year and all my games (hogs like Madden) and still have room. I don't though -- only active matters get iPad space. Frankly, I don't want the clutter. 64GB is a lot of space on a tablet, yes, unless you are a poor manager and don't remove what you no longer need or never use or don't compress your large PDF files. How many games for example do you play in a month. Most professionals have 3-4 time wasters, not pages and pages of 3D games.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
It's not such a thing with the iPad, being much bigger, but the problem with putting a microSD card slot in the iPhone is all the space it'd take up. I mean, do you think after Apple went to all the trouble of implementing a NANO-sim into the iPhone to save a tiny bit of space over the micro-sim, that they'd stick a big micro-SD card slot in there?

Thinness is becoming very overrated. It's a great engineering feat but seems like the key selling point of every iDevice is now, look it's thinner

Meh. I don't need 128. I'm not a music nut. I use my iPad for work not music storage.

What I want is some serious work on improving iOS. How about some improvements to iCloud, Calendar, reminders? Perhaps a way to show date (in addition to time) on the toolbar. Maybe even a stock app and better Notes.

The hardware is pretty good. What's stopping my productivity is the software...except a USB would be nice...but that's another matter.

This is pretty much why I never upgraded after the iPad 1 and why I've been waiting for the Surface Pro

2 Words: App Store!
Just go find some better apps. that better suit your needs if the stock apps aren't cutting it.
Try Seeking Alpha for Stocks news and alerts.
Try Evernote for a better notes app.

I've spent a lot of $$$ on the app store and found for things I'm looking for, the solutions are either second rate or don't exist. I've tried to figure out why I can find a million free flashlight apps and not one word processor with an equation editor and at this point I'm pretty much convinced the pricepoint on iOS is too cheap to give complex solutions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.