Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
Meh. I don't need 128. I'm not a music nut. I use my iPad for work not music storage.

What I want is some serious work on improving iOS. How about some improvements to iCloud, Calendar, reminders? Perhaps a way to show date (in addition to time) on the toolbar. Maybe even a stock app and better Notes.

The hardware is pretty good. What's stopping my productivity is the software...except a USB would be nice...but that's another matter.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe Apple will drop the iPad 2 (it still has the dock connector and slowly is becoming really old) and make the iPad 4 16GB the new "cheap" option?

Something like this->

iPad 4 16GB $399
iPad 4 32GB $499
iPad 4 64GB $599
iPad 4 128GB $699

?

More likely it will be
iPad 2 16 GB $249
iPad 5 32gb $499
Etc

Like they did with the iPod touch this year, like they did with the iPhone.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Hope this is true and that we finally get the option of 128GB on the iPhone and iPod to.

Hope this doesn't mean there will not be a new iPad 5 in March. I'm really looking forward to the new design having seen the iPad mini and a 128GB version would make it perfect for me.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Meh. I don't need 128. I'm not a music nut. I use my iPad for work not music storage.

What I want is some serious work on improving iOS. How about some improvements to iCloud, Calendar, reminders? Perhaps a way to show date (in addition to time) on the toolbar. Maybe even a stock app and better Notes.

The hardware is pretty good. What's stopping my productivity is the software...except a USB would be nice...but that's another matter.

I agree that their focus should be on the software. The hardware in the ipad and iphone is already pretty damn good, but it is not getting used to its full potential in the current state of IOS. Throw things into the software that will truly demonstrate the hardware.

----------

More likely it will be
iPad 2 16 GB $249
iPad 5 32gb $499
Etc

Like they did with the iPod touch this year, like they did with the iPhone.

I think they will just stop selling the ipad 2 since it has the legacy 30 pin connector and apple wants everything using the lightning connector.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Why is everyone saying drop the 16gb iPad? All I use my 16gb for is mail, Safari, Kindle, Netflix, Facebook and FaceTime. No music or movies. Apple could shift the price lower across the line as 128gb ssd are so cheap now.

But they probably won't lower the price. They usually give you a bit more at the same price points. No way they are going to lessen profits across the board.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
The iPad has not changed much since the first incarnation, besides adding a camera, faster CPU, more memory, and higher resolution screen. Android tablets are starting (or have) matched many of these features.

iOS has remained relatively unchanged in several years.

The popular apps are pretty much available on both platforms.

I think it's starting harder to justify an iPad over an Android tablet - especially something like the Nexus 7.

What exactly are they supposed to add from a hardware standpoint other than faster internals and an improved screen?

End of the day....it's a personal choice. For me....Android just doesn't cut it. The experience isn't anywhere near as smooth and there is no built out ecosystem that works as seamlessly as what I have currently with iPhone, iPad, MBP, Mac Mini, ATV, and all of the stuff purchased through iTunes. If the Apple ecosystem isn't appealing to you or you can get past some of the software experience issues....then I'm sure Android is appealing. I just can't get there.

akfgpuppet

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
The 831
updated.png

9to5Mac added the pricing.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
What exactly are they supposed to add from a hardware standpoint other than faster internals and an improved screen?

NFC, swype keyboard, haptic feedback, led notifications, better codec support, card slot, gps on all models, child proof settings, navigation, there's a lot of things that can go into the iPad, but Apple has ignored it (for now).

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
But they probably won't lower the price. They usually give you a bit more at the same price points. No way they are going to lessen profits across the board.

I'd say "no way they are going to lessen revenue across the board". Doubling SSD sizes at the same price would mean the profit goes down initially, but as SSD prices go down it will go up again. Until Apple goes to 64/128/256 and things repeat.

There will always be a huge number of people who buy "the cheapest" (no matter what it is) and others who buy "the most expensive" (no matter what it is) and a third group who buy "something in the middle" (no matter what it is).

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
1K for an iPad???!!

No thanks, love the iPad, would like a 128 model, but at this price I'd just get an entry level MBA and call it a day.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'd say "no way they are going to lessen revenue across the board". Doubling SSD sizes at the same price would mean the profit goes down initially, but as SSD prices go down it will go up again. Until Apple goes to 64/128/256 and things repeat.

There will always be a huge number of people who buy "the cheapest" (no matter what it is) and others who buy "the most expensive" (no matter what it is) and a third group who buy "something in the middle" (no matter what it is).

I understand your point. I think that the post I was replying to was suggesting that Apple actually lower the iPad prices. That I don't see happening, but I can see them doing what you have suggested. And maybe keeping a 16GB or previous model at a cheaper price, like they are doing now with the iPad 2.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011

2 Words: App Store!
Just go find some better apps. that better suit your needs if the stock apps aren't cutting it.
Try Seeking Alpha for Stocks news and alerts.
Try Evernote for a better notes app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.