Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yarode

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Hi, I've been wondering lately if my mac would be able to run the GW2 mac beta client. Since the price of the game is 55$ I want to be sure it'll run. I've heard people saying you can run it on mac 10.6.8 , which makes the requirement of 10.7 invalid, I was wondering if this is actually true before I buy it.

my specs are:

model: iMac 8,1
Intel Core 2 Duo
2,8 GHz
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

I posted the quoted post in a more recentthread about GW2, because I didn't want to dig this up. I'm kind of derailing the other topic though so I'm posting it here instead.
If anyone would be able to help me, that'd be awesome.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
May i ask what tweeks/changes you have done?

I have the the rMBP 15" only diff is the RAM i have 8 not 16gb but under the osx client i get 20/30FPS but it feels like 10FPS massive jitter and "lag like" issues (not my net connection)

Under windows BC i get maybe 40 FPS at 1900x1200 everything on bar post processing and reflections set to world only.

jsut wondering if you have done anything outside of install and run?

Cheers

FL1X

I honestly haven't done anything outside of the install and run. I highly doubt that having 8GB of RAM would be an issue either. I have since decided that things look better on my rMBP by playing with the resolution set to 1920x1200 (no subsampling) and most things on medium. I get a constant 50fps at all times doing this. The subsampling made everything look a bit funny to me, so I decided to nix it.

----------

I posted the quoted post in a more recentthread about GW2, because I didn't want to dig this up. I'm kind of derailing the other topic though so I'm posting it here instead.
If anyone would be able to help me, that'd be awesome.

Im going to say probably not. At the very least you would need to upgrade to 4GB of RAM (I tried it on a PC with 2GB and I couldn't even move). The graphics card is also a little on the slow side, but its possible. I got mine to run on a MacBook Pro from 2008 and it ran great on low settings, but I had 4GB of RAM, and an Nvidia 8600GT (a little bit newer than your card).

They now also have a free trial program so you can test it out before you spend the $$$.

Yarode

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
So I asked someone if they could send me a trial, so I could try it out. Turns out it's an event kind of thing, which isn't available anymore. Any other ideas?

modalsaliency

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I'm going to go ahead and assume this is a pipe dream, but has anyone with the 13 rMBP managed to run this decently, with either bootcamp or the mac client?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I'm going to go ahead and assume this is a pipe dream, but has anyone with the 13 rMBP managed to run this decently, with either bootcamp or the mac client?

I played GW2 in the early release on my 2011 MacBook Air, yours should be a bit faster. It ran acceptable in low settings at native res (1440x900) in bootcamp. The rMBP sports a HD4000 which should be quite a bit better than the HD3000 on the MBA. Not to mention the MBA has a 1.7GHz i5 and yours has a 2.5GHz+ i7.

I never tried world versus world, but i would expect that it won't be very playable at all, but questing and 5 man instances was reasonable ok.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
In that case I it's pretty safe to assume it won't run with the Mac client but only in Bootcamp...

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
I wonder if its ever going to get optimized. I am thinking now. The world is not gonna go away from DirectX.

Just look at PS3 ports. Devs hate OpenGL. Even one like Carmack who talked so highly of it.

Trubbles

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2012
My rMBP (2.6GHz/8/256) is in "processing" and I keep thinking about how excited I am to play GW2 on it :)

Has anyone with an rMBP (or any other Mac, for that matter) compared the Mac vs PC client recently? (I say recently, because I know at OSX launch, there are a HUGE discrepancy).

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
By the way: Was there an optimizing update of some sort since this thread started? I'm pretty sure it'll run smooth as hell on my high-end 27" 2012 iMac but if it still crashes frequently for no reason I'm not going to buy it.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
My rMBP (2.6GHz/8/256) is in "processing" and I keep thinking about how excited I am to play GW2 on it :)

Has anyone with an rMBP (or any other Mac, for that matter) compared the Mac vs PC client recently? (I say recently, because I know at OSX launch, there are a HUGE discrepancy).

There is still a pretty big difference. I would say the Windows version is ~30% faster :cool:

Torvanyr

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
I played Guild Wars 2 on PC. It was great. Is MAC version the same as on PC? Is it cheaper? I payed PC version for €31 on http://www.go2arena.com/guild-wars-2.html

You can buy a PC version of the game and download the Mac client from your account page after you input your serial number and create an account. It doesn't matter where you buy the game, the only thing that matters is the serial number that comes with it.

tufinhas

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I own a late 2012 mid-range mac mini with 8GB RAM.

I recently bought GW2 on their website taking advantage of a promotion where you would get the digital deluxe version for 39,90 euros. After a 18 GB mac client download, i've almost done with the starter zone, and can say it plays perfectly fine, but with settings automaticaly on low and medium levels, with a average framerate of 25-30 fps. Still, i'm guessing it will play better on 2011 iMacs or macbook pros and other more recent macs with dedicated graphics.

Side note: temperatures sky-rocket while playing the game, so beware.

T.

atarria

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2009
You will definitely require fan control software such as SMC so the game will not toast your machine:eek:.

I bought and downloaded the game to my 2011 27" iMac equipped with 8 gigs RAM and Radeon HD6770M. I let the game select settings. The game has not given me any problems.

At level ten I have seen 3% of the world. It took me an hour and a half to fully explore the Norn home city. Graphics are awesome, much better than LOTRO and more "real" than WOW. Its too early to comment on the learning curve. An up front cost and no annoying micro transaction ads or subscription fees make this a spectacular game.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Just tried it on 17" mid 2010 Macbook Pro and the performance is not good.

With all the settings on low I usually get just below 30 fps in wilderness and around 20 fps in towns.

It's playable but I wouldn't say it runs "well".

Hopefully we get some performance boost in the next update.:)

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
bummp

has there been any new gains in the beta version for this?

a big new update is coming out for the game today, adding new achievements and other things!

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Guild wars 2 is a very machine hungry game and a 17" mid 2010 Macbook Pro is not going to cut it at anything like descent FPS etc.

See my machine below Mac pro, I boot into Lion to play it, it runs just fine on those specs.

Loads of people are complaining about this but when you see what they are trying to run it on then, say no more.

Also the game was meant to be Windows only and they got a Cider wrap done by way of helping to get people to run it on Macs.

As it is a Windows specific game then run it in Bootcamp if you are not happy with the Mac Client, it should help it run better.

People are asking them to do a Mac Native client, but who knows ?

kierend

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
I've tried both playing it from a bootcamp install and the mac client, gotta say it ran really well on my mid 2010 15' Macbook Pro from Windows with medium graphics at about 30 fps. But from the mac client it ran poorly, on the lowest settings at about 10 fps. Not sure if it was just a poo port or my mac.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've tried both playing it from a bootcamp install and the mac client, gotta say it ran really well on my mid 2010 15' Macbook Pro from Windows with medium graphics at about 30 fps. But from the mac client it ran poorly, on the lowest settings at about 10 fps. Not sure if it was just a poo port or my mac.

Port + OSX. Windows games run best in Windows. Not proud of this statement.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Meh. Been playing the beta wrapper since it was released on my 2012 13" MBP w/ 16gb Ram and found it adequate at 50-60fps in pve & pvp. In WvW it requires a little more GPU power than I have.

I think the people with solid macs and gpu should have no problem. Those that complain are usually no talents or people with bad Internet connections blaming their poor performance on the client.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Meh. Been playing the beta wrapper since it was released on my 2012 13" MBP w/ 16gb Ram and found it adequate at 50-60fps in pve & pvp. In WvW it requires a little more GPU power than I have.

I think the people with solid macs and gpu should have no problem. Those that complain are usually no talents or people with bad Internet connections blaming their poor performance on the client.

Sounds good to me except you are not on an Air... :) I believe the Air is now equivalent to what the MacBook used to be? If so I could see issues running GW2 on it.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008

Hey,

what settings were you running? I wonder if having 16 gigs of ram, matters when you are dealing with wrapper based games!? seems like they might take advantage of more ram than "normal" ports.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Hey,

what settings were you running? I wonder if having 16 gigs of ram, matters when you are dealing with wrapper based games!? seems like they might take advantage of more ram than "normal" ports.

No they don't. Cider wrappers uses a 32 bit framework, so it will never use more than 4GB.

I'm also pretty sure he just thinks he gets those numbers, as my 2011 MBA, does not even manage 30 FPS at lowest settings in OSX. That being said, his machine is faster, but it should be more like 10-15% faster and not over 100% faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.