Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I have my gmail account set as default, but often times when I access Mail, it defaults to iCloud. I have 2 gmail and one exchange account. Why does it keep defaulting to iCloud

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
It's not really defaulting to it, but if you're sending from mail, it will send from whatever box you're currently in, unless you change it.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
IE: If I open mail to send something and the last box I was in was my iCloud, that's what it will send from, unless I change it.

It only reads the one you have set as a default, when you are sending from some other application, like photos, or Safari.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
gmail is always set as default.
I never use iCloud email.

Many times when I access email, it goes directly to iCloud. Makes no sense.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Just power-cycled the phone.
Clicked on eMail and it went right to iCloud :mad:

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
Still having this issue. Anyone else?

yes.

if i compose an email from the top level of the email app (ie looking at all my mail boxes) it will default as being sent from my @me address. if i force quit or power off and on my phone and access mail it will go straight in to my icloud inbox, so i have to go back and then in to my gmail. i have 3 email accounts on my phone; icloud, gmail and a work exchange account. gmail is set as my default. i sometimes forget about this so occasionally send emails out from my @me address when i don't want to. it's a little bit of an annoyance because i never used to have a me account so never had this problem, it always used my gmail account as you'd expect since it is my default.

i'll probably try restoring again at some point.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
turn off icloud email
goto icloud.com and set to forward to gmail and delete

have one email account in phone, nice and simple...

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
I have 5 email accounts on my phone and gmail is default and it always uses gmail unless I am in a specific mailbox and compose an email there or replying to an email from whatever account.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I have my gmail account set as default, but often times when I access Mail, it defaults to iCloud. I have 2 gmail and one exchange account. Why does it keep defaulting to iCloud

I've found that when you open the Mail.app after either restarting the phone or fully closing out the app (via the multitasking toolbar), the app will open right to the inbox of the top-most email account in Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars. I have my Gmail (set up as Exchange) as my default as well but my iCloud account is at the top of the accounts list in Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars so the Mail.app often opens up to the iCloud inbox regardless.

Reactions: bhayes444

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
This is Apple's not so subtle way of telling you to ditch Gmail and go iCloud.... :p

This happens to me too. Must be a bug. Or a feature.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I just tried changing my Default Email and it actually changed it...I'm actually using my iCloud email more now compared to my Gmail, but I can change my default in the settings...

Try changing it to something else and then going back?

Also, when I force quit and go back like some others have said, it opens up to my "All Inboxes" inbox, not the iCloud one. Seems like mine is working properly lol

jzamudio

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
icloud defaulting as first email a problem? Here's the solution!

In ios 6, open the mail app. Go back to mailboxes view. Press edit in the top right. Now rearrange your accounts putting the one you want to be open on app open at the top and vola!
hope that helps!

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
This has plagued me since my first iPhone. As best I can tell, no matter what you set as the "default" email for sending emails from your iPhone, iOS always loads the mail account that was added first when setting up the phone. Because alot of us have iCloud mailboxes when you set up your phone and sign into iCloud with your apple ID it automatically adds the iCloud email account. Then you add gmail and set to default but if you restart your phone or force quit the mail app it will always show the iCloud account when you go back into the mail app. It is really annoying to me, especially when you utilize the "All Accounts" feature in the mail app.

To get around it I believe you can delete all your mail accounts and re-add them starting with your primary gmail account first and you should have that default from now on.

It is probably at the very very very bottom of the list of fixes apple has to make.

HarleyLaurie

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Same problem - open Mail and iCloud opens the app.
I fixed it by editing the order if my four emails so that my private Outlook mailbox appears on top of my business ones
Next step was to make the default mailbox the same.
Now I open Mail and my private client automatically opens.

nosarrra

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
This person is correct.
I don't think this is correct. Just tried it, power cycled, hit compose email, and iCloud was the default email. I had no idea I was sending email from iCloud until I sent one to myself, then realized I've been sending email from that address for months. So frustrating.

----------

This person is correct.

I don't think this is correct. Just tried it, power cycled, hit compose email, and iCloud was the default email. I had no idea I was sending email from iCloud until I sent one to myself, then realized I've been sending email from that address for months. So frustrating.

Ok, I figured out how to stop it for my issue:
Settings/Mail/iCloud Make sure Mail is set to "Off" Somehow it got turned to "On" (not by me!!)

Mjmcclain

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016

Move iCloud to the bottom.
[doublepost=1468123946][/doublepost]
Move iCloud to the bottom.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    159 KB · Views: 599
  • image.png
    image.png
    168.9 KB · Views: 796

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Shouldn't this be changed through "Settings-->Mail-->Default account"? I change it to anything other than iCloud mail and I can use it anywhere by default.

Mjmcclain

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016
Shouldn't this be changed through "Settings-->Mail-->Default account"? I change it to anything other than iCloud mail and I can use it anywhere by default.

You would think but no. It's in the mail app after you press "edit".

Move iCloud to the bottom. The iCloud at the bottom, under accounts. Not the folder structure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.