Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
Home and Student is $140 and you get Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Onenote.

Home and Business is $220 and you get everything in Home and Student, plus Outlook.

Does Outlook justify the $80 dollar difference? Are there better email clients for less?

Personally I use Apple Mail on ML and Entourage on my iBook running Leopard.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Home and Student is $140 and you get Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Onenote.

Home and Business is $220 and you get everything in Home and Student, plus Outlook.

Does Outlook justify the $80 dollar difference? Are there better email clients for less?

Personally I use Apple Mail on ML and Entourage on my iBook running Leopard.

For my wife it is everything. I do not use Outlook, so does not matter to me. But since my wife requires it and you get 2 licences, I have it installed. Have never even opened it. Not worth $80 to me as I use Mail.app.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Online subscribers will get free upgrades during their subscriptions. But they still have to pay $80/year so its not really free.

$99/year for home users, $79/4years for students, no?

Outlook is apparently included.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...h-microsofts-office-365-home-premium-edition/

Microsoft has done a lot to sweeten the pot to attract consumers into the subscription model, enlisting nearly everything but the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. While the lowest-cost perpetual-license version of Office 2013—Office 2013 Home and Student—is priced at just under $140 and includes the four core applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote), Office 365 Home Premium Edition comes with all of those applications plus the Outlook mail and calendar client, Access database, and Publisher desktop publishing tool.

B

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
People here are mixing up two separate product lines. Office 2013 is for Windows only, no Mac version. It's available by download only, but doesn't expire.

The subscription version, for use on up to 5 PC or Mac computers, is Office 365 Home Premium. It's $99 per year and includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Outlook, MS Access, and MS Publisher, the products included in Office Professional.

As of today, Office 2011 for Mac is now available as a download with only the product key in the box, no media. This is the only version now available at the Apple on-line store.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If you need to connect to Exchange then yes. Otherwise, probably not. I used Outlook with Exchange for years. WhenI switched to the Mac and didn't connect to Exchange any more, I found mail.app easier to use than Outlook Mac. My needs are fairly simple and mail meets them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.