Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Is there a list of reserved words that Apple will NOT allow in the email address naming in the @icloud.com account? I want to create a dummy account use johnappleseed with a number of variant prefix or subfix add to it, and none of them are permitted, no matter how ridiculous (without using numbers) the name is.

I suspect that Apple is blocking certain words like apple / appleseed, icloud, and so on. Is this true? Is there a list I can see?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Perhaps a little of both, some people have reserved some of the names you tried creating but I also believe apple blocks certain words to be used as well. They do not publish any sort of list AFAIK and so you should probably set up an email address that doesn't contain the word you're trying.

btw, apple uses the word appleseed in their distribution of betas so its quite possible they block all occurrences of that word lest it may lead to confusion over what they offer.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Any other "most likely banned" words that I should avoid?

I ask because it takes minutes to go through each registration, and when it says I cannot have a particularly AppleID, I am forced to start from the beginning (there is no back button in the iCloud creation screen). So far, I have tried about 20 times already and it took nearly one and a half hour just to register one AppleID (and still failed). Yikes!

Help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.