Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When iOS 6 was announced last June, Apple said it was working with car manufacturers on a new "Eyes Free" mode for Siri that would integrate with voice command buttons found in an increasing number of car models to allow users to interact with Siri without needing to look at their devices' screens. At the time, Scott Forstall displayed a slide showing that Apple was working with BMW, GM, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler, and Honda on the initiative.

Today, Honda announced that Eyes Free will be coming to the 2013 Accord, as well as the Acura RDX and ILX.

honda.jpg
From Honda's press release:
American Honda today announced it will integrate support for Siri, the intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking, into its 2013 Honda Accord and Acura RDX and ILX models as a dealer installed option. Later this year, owners with a compatible iPhone running iOS 6 can direct Siri to perform a number of specific tasks while they safely keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel. Using Eyes Free mode, Siri takes hands-free functionality even further and minimizes distractions even more by keeping your iOS device's screen from lighting up.
In November, Chevrolet announced that Eyes Free would be coming to the Chevrolet Spark and Sonic in 2013, and Hyundai did the same earlier this month.

Update: Honda is currently contacting some existing 2013 Accord owners and offering to install the Siri Eyes Free software in their vehicles free of charge as part of a trial of the feature.
Honda is conducting a limited market trial with current 2013 model owners who own an Apple iPhone.

As a part of this trial, Honda will update your Accord with software that will allow the new Siri Eyes Free feature to work in your vehicle.

The update will be installed by your dealer at no cost to you and you are welcome to keep and use the Siri Eyes Free feature after the trial is complete. All we ask from you is participation in an online survey after Siri Eyes Free is installed and you have had a chance to experience the feature.

Article Link: Siri 'Eyes Free' Coming to 2013 Honda Accord, Acura RDX and ILX

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Why can't Siri just drive you to destinations yet? APPLE FAIL.

Edit: Actually with Apple Maps you'd probably end up in the sea anyway.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

When iOS 6 was announced last June, Apple said it was working with car manufacturers on a new "Eyes Free" mode for Siri that would integrate with voice command buttons found in an increasing number of car models to allow users to interact with Siri without needing to look at their devices' screens. At the time, Scott Forstall displayed a slide showing that Apple was working with BMW, GM, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler, and Honda on the initiative.

Today, Honda announced that Eyes Free will be coming to the 2013 Accord, as well as the Acura RDX and ILX.

From Honda's press release:In November, Chevrolet announced that Eyes Free would be coming to the Chevrolet Spark and Sonic in 2013, and Hyundai did the same earlier this month.

Article Link: Siri 'Eyes Free' Coming to 2013 Honda Accord, Acura RDX and ILX

Yeah, those are cars I was going to buy, LOL.

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
God, car insides are getting uglier and uglier, more and more buttons. Wish Steve Jobs' plans for car re-invention are still somewhere at Apple.

tgenius

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I drive a 2013 ILX on lease. I want to see how much they want to charge for this "dealer option" before I decide if I do it or not.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
And this is what irks me about Honda. They seem to change their designs every 2 years or so. They don't believe in making minor improvements each year, they do redesigns. Goodness.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
While I applaud the option, it sucks that the feature will be a dealer installed option for what probably will be a ripoff. It should be a standard feature (free upgrade to existing users via firmware update).

Oh well, it probably will be a standard feature on at least higher trimmed models next year.

God, car insides are getting uglier and uglier, more and more buttons. Wish Steve Jobs' plans for car re-invention are still somewhere at Apple.

Having driven Tesla Model S, whose dashboard is a gigantic LCD touchscreen, I am not sure if that's the right approach. When I am driving, I like to be able to feel the UI without looking at it (at least no more than a quick glance). And not to mention all the fingerprint smudges.

tgenius

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
While I applaud the option, it sucks that the feature will be a dealer installed option for what probably will be a ripoff. It should be a standard feature (free upgrade to existing users via firmware update).

Oh well, it probably will be a standard feature on at least higher trimmed models next year.

Having driven Tesla Model S, whose dashboard is a gigantic LCD touchscreen, I am not sure if that's the right approach. When I am driving, I like to be able to feel the UI without looking at it (at least no more than a quick glance). And not to mention all the fingerprint smudges.

This. Ford Sync on the new Explorer is Touchscreen driven and I can tell you it forced us to consider other options as the controls for HVAC are all touchscreen so your forced to look away to push the buttons.. call me old fashioned but I prefer to be able to "feel" my way too.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
Honestly, all car manufacturers should go to mobile OS platforms for their infotainment systems. They can't make UIs to save their lives, they all suck.

Be it iOS or Android, they just need to get over themselves and do it.

Yes.
Needs to replace all those buttons with iPad mini!

+1 for Siri in cars!

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
What I notice about every thread is that people are Haters and mad angry about virtually everything.

Where's the love?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
They need to have this on the Pilot by 2014. That is when we are buying our next one.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Who cares? Acura makes terrible cars.

I'm just waiting for BMW, VW, Mercedes, and Audi to bring out their integration. The iOS/Android integration on my BMW X5 and Audi S7 are already top notch.

----------

Great, a car that needs 3g/lte to work. :rolleyes:

They already do this. The S7's MMI uses a 3G connection for its GPS to overlay Google Maps. It works really well with Street View and such, but it's also a pain in the ass because Audi uses T-Mobile for their provider and they have basically no 3G coverage.

Shame they don't use AT&T or VZW's superior 3G/LTE coverage. I put in my AT&T SIM and it only gets EDGE because Audi's hardware only supports the AWS HSPA band that TMo uses :(

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Who cares? Acura makes terrible cars.

I'm just waiting for BMW, VW, Mercedes, and Audi to bring out their integration. The iOS/Android integration on my BMW X5 and Audi S7 are already top notch.

----------

They already do this. The S7's MMI uses a 3G connection for its GPS to overlay Google Maps. It works really well with Street View and such, but it's also a pain in the ass because Audi uses T-Mobile for their provider and they have basically no 3G coverage.

Shame they don't use AT&T or VZW's superior 3G/LTE coverage. I put in my AT&T SIM and it only gets EDGE because Audi's hardware only supports the AWS HSPA band that TMo uses :(

While I am not particularly fond of the new styling, Acuras are extremely reliable and great cars. What is your basis on calling them terrible?

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Wish it would come to the MDX.

I've found Acura to be dependable, like big brothers of Honda (yes I know). That said, BMW just drives a little better. So as I've gotten older, I've also noticed the interior of the Acura is a little nicer, and sadly I'm starting to give up driving prowess to interior comfort, which I give a slight edge to Acura. So yes, next car is going to be an Acura... ...but I'll probably cave back to the BMW and say "Well hon, I'll change when the kid arrives."

Not much info on Mercedes but I did have a VW Golf back in the day, and it handled like a beast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.