Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
God, car insides are getting uglier and uglier, more and more buttons. Wish Steve Jobs' plans for car re-invention are still somewhere at Apple.

Yeah, tell me about it! I got a Volvo S80 as a rental car a while ago. Nice car, loaded with safety features including one that warns you if you start wandering out of your lane. Sure enough, I got reprimanded by the car for being distracted. Why? Because I was staring at the center stack trying to figure out which button to press to tune the radio!

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
Screw the dealers. Dealer-installed options are often something the average person could do, at a fraction of the cost. I installed my own "Genuine Honda" accessories in my '02 Odyssey. Bought them online and saved probably $700 in labor alone. Roof rack/keyless-entry system/hood deflector/CD player. Of course, most of that stuff is standard nowadays.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
While I am not particularly fond of the new styling, Acuras are extremely reliable and great cars. What is your basis on calling them terrible?

This really isn't the place to talk about it, but here goes:

styling, lack of innovation, too much platform sharing with Honda, outdated dated powertrains, lack of V8/V10/V12, poor quality interiors (compared to their German rivals and Lexus)

reliability is all that Acura has going for it. They don't deserve to be called a luxury brand. Upmarket Hondas, that's it.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
And this is what irks me about Honda. They seem to change their designs every 2 years or so. They don't believe in making minor improvements each year, they do redesigns. Goodness.

As opposed to GM, which averages about 12 years. Which of these 2 companies required government buyouts to survive and which didn't? Might be an indication as to who has the more successful business model.

'Sayin'

----------

Siri "Eyes Free" seems to be a feature most will never use.

Disagree, would love to be able to use it now. In fact, I think auto integration will finally show Siri's worth.

----------

What I notice about every thread is that people are Haters and mad angry about virtually everything.

Where's the love?

Haters gonna hate.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, tell me about it! I got a Volvo S80 as a rental car a while ago. Nice car, loaded with safety features including one that warns you if you start wandering out of your lane. Sure enough, I got reprimanded by the car for being distracted. Why? Because I was staring at the center stack trying to figure out which button to press to tune the radio!

I have an Acura TSX with tech/nav package with a center stack that's not too unlike the Accord photo in the article. Takes some getting used to at first but soon you memorize the location of the buttons and aren't taking your eyes off the wheel to change stations.

Plus, with steering wheel controls and voice commands, you don't even have to take your hands off the wheel to change stations.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I have an Acura TSX with tech/nav package with a center stack that's not too unlike the Accord photo in the article. Takes some getting used to at first but soon you memorize the location of the buttons and aren't taking your eyes off the wheel to change stations.

Plus, with steering wheel controls and voice commands, you don't even have to take your hands off the wheel to change stations.

Admittedly my case was fairly unique because I was stepping into a rental car I had never seen before. I did figure out the controls soon enough and the rest of my time with the car was fine. Still, I was blown away by how much more complicated cars are now. The Volvo had a complete telephone touchpad on its console, a gazillion other buttons, and a scrolling menu interface not unlike the iPod Classic. So many controls to learn!

antzona

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
California
What I notice about every thread is that people are Haters and mad angry about virtually everything.

Where's the love?

Welcome to the Internet. Every dude with an IQ over 75 is suddenly an expert and a critic. People fight and clamor to be the first to say something sucks. It's the easiest way to seem smart or knowledgeable. If you say something is lame or sucks people automatically assume you have some experience that has led you to this profound conclusion. You don't have to expand on your argument or list any facts, just say it sucks and you're an expert.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Who cares? Acura makes terrible cars.

I'm just waiting for BMW, VW, Mercedes, and Audi to bring out their integration. The iOS/Android integration on my BMW X5 and Audi S7 are already top notch.

Funny you say Acura are terrible cars and then go on to list the most high maintenance, unreliable cars on market...

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Wish it would come to the MDX.

I've found Acura to be dependable, like big brothers of Honda (yes I know). That said, BMW just drives a little better. So as I've gotten older, I've also noticed the interior of the Acura is a little nicer, and sadly I'm starting to give up driving prowess to interior comfort, which I give a slight edge to Acura. So yes, next car is going to be an Acura... ...but I'll probably cave back to the BMW and say "Well hon, I'll change when the kid arrives."

Not much info on Mercedes but I did have a VW Golf back in the day, and it handled like a beast.

Agreed... the MDX is the best Acura out there.... and possibly the best in it's class.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Funny you say Acura are terrible cars and then go on to list the most high maintenance, unreliable cars on market...

Think he just wanted to let us all know what cars he has, as though we care.

----------

The mecedes a class already has siri in it. Not sure about this eyes free, i dont know if its the same but there is a siri button on the steering wheel and its conected to a host of thing like the garmin gps and stereo etc...

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

if reliability was everything, we would all be driving Toyotas. For the record, I've had less Issues with my Various German cars than my old Japanese ones.

Also, recent JD power put Mercedes over Honda and Acura for long term dependability.

I'll stick with my German Cars. If you like rebadged Hondas (Acura), more power to you.

----------

Agreed... the MDX is the best Acura out there.... and possibly the best in it's class.

The MDX is the best car they make, but I disagree in class. It is the best value , but that's it. BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne Are superior in many ways,

derondantzler

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
I've owned 2 BMWs and purchased an Acura in 2012. I won't be buying another BMW. The interior has remained basically the same for the last 8 years with no innovation, and it's missing a lot of the technology that's found in the Acura or Lexus. Also, it's nice to not be in the shop every other month with another ridiculous money sucking issue. Just one example: I replaced window regulators 5x in my BMWs collectively. You feel nice owning a fancy BMW with a garbage bag duct taped to the window while you wait on the dealer to get your part in. Believe me.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
I know! It looks like the maps/GPS screen would be obscured by the other console in front of it.

Yeah if you were a 3.5 ft kid in the seat where the picture is taken.

I have a 2011 Accord and it isn't too much different, couple more controls on the stearing wheel and the climate controls are slightly different. I can see everything just fine and like the layout. Mostly I can change things without having to look.
Now our old Equinox was a PITA... Our New Pilot is much better layout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.