Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
And how is this specific to stainless steal and glass? What, plastics can't be precisely machine engineered?
Uh... I just like my metal iPhone. It's got some "heft". If feels rock solid. Plastic is "molded". Where's the craftsmanship in that?

Besides, every iPhone is hand machined by the same 3 Chinese dudes and I don't want them put out of a job.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
But Apple would NEVER (again) use cheap, crappy plastic, would they? This would never have happened (even tho it did with the 3GS) if Jobs was still around. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Go ahead and hold you breath if you think Apple wont be using plastic for phones or other devices in the future. :)

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
hopefully they fired that guy. Whoever designed that mouse deserves to be fired. If you want a proper slim mouse the arc touch mouse was a way better design and wasn't a carpal tunnel magnet. The arc touch is very comfortable to hold. Much more so than it looks.

iAgree. I've the previous Arc mouse. iUse this mouse if i travel with my MBP.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Maybe they are returning the white macbook? Giving color to the iMac?

I would love to see a computer like these ones running MacOS

Attachments

• sony+vaio+vgn+cr320e+www+newage+gaming+com+tres+coracoes+mg+brasil__11D5FA_2.jpg
    sony+vaio+vgn+cr320e+www+newage+gaming+com+tres+coracoes+mg+brasil__11D5FA_2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 58
  • VGNCR320EL.png
    VGNCR320EL.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 69

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
They don't do liquid metal (or liquid alloy), but Apple might use such knowledge adapted from plastic for its industrial design and production. (Liquid metal can use kind of the same or just slightly modified injection molding machines as plastic does.)

Metal has poor properties for usage in a cell phone, especially regarding reception.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Any other company uses plastic=cheap junk. Apple uses plastic= Amazing! Innovative! Revolutionary! Futuristic! Then they can sue all the Android phone makers for using plastic.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Plastic has a bad name only because no one is doing it right.

I think apple is the only company that can make a sexy plastic product.

So lets hope they hire some talent and junk the bloat.

I hope they avoid anything like the 3GS that was a cracking failure from the start and I hated how crap it looked right out the box and how it span around on every surface you put it. Horrid design no matter what people say.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I think apple is the only company that can make a sexy plastic product.

I think Nokia did a very good job with the Lumia 800.

There are so many types of plastic, and multiple ways each type can be used. And plastic is used in many Apple products. Keyboards, mice, Apple TV, Airport Extreme, etc. Maybe they are looking at improving those. I don't think this is rumour is a bad thing.

phonitron

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
Metal has poor properties for usage in a cell phone, especially regarding reception.

I seem to recall reading that the liquidmetal technology worked just fine with radio signals... Something to do with the alloy blend iirc?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.