Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
This is one example .
View attachment 393693

Also when the galaxy nexus was first released it was $299 on Verizon.

Oh and here is the galaxy not at Verizon
https://m.verizonwireless.com/Shop/Details/Smartphones_-_4G_LTE/2655
View attachment 393694

The Razr Maxx HD is only available with 32 GBs of internal memory. It originally sold for the same amount as the 32 gig iPhone 5 and now sells for less. The Note 2 is a tablet sized device and is going to retail for more as a result; otherwise the profit margin would be significantly lower than the s3. Again, your overall thesis is stupid and pointless.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
This is one example .
View attachment 393693

Also when the galaxy nexus was first released it was $299 on Verizon.

Oh and here is the galaxy not at Verizon
https://m.verizonwireless.com/Shop/Details/Smartphones_-_4G_LTE/2655
View attachment 393694

Yes, and the iPhone 5 is $199. How can you say "No my point was that less iPhones would be sold cause they cost some much more than the very equal android phones", when these two Android phones you linked to, are both more expensive and less powerful than the iPhone 5?

If you want AT&T (the only of the big 3 carriers in the US who support the Nexus 4), the Nexus 4 is $100 more expensive than the iPhone 5 ($150 more expensive if you want to match the 16GB that the iPhone 5 comes with standard), while again being significantly less powerful, and slower without LTE. It won't matter that you bought the Nexus 4 unsubsidized either, because your monthly phone bill won't go down.

In all of these scenarios, the iPhone 5 is both cheaper and more powerful. The only situation where the Nexus 4 can be cheaper, is if you take it to a prepaid carrier, assuming they have coverage in your area (no prepaid carrier has more coverage than AT&T or Verizon), and won't throw you off without warning for using too much data.

So yes, especially when you consider it is the cheapest option of all the phones you just mentioned, and also the fastest/most powerful, the iPhone 5 is definitely "worth it".

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
It's almost an in between device with the screen of that size and some of key functionality differences. To me, it's always been a completely different field of smart phone. Higher than a regular smartphone, yet less than a true tablet.

You make me laugh. It is a smartphone and it is $299.00. Like I said before the flagship android phones start out at $299 like the galaxy nexus. Now they are a year old so they go down. You can put the Note II in what ever field you want I don't care.

----------

Yes, and the iPhone 5 is $199. How can you say "No my point was that less iPhones would be sold cause they cost some much more than the very equal android phones", when these two Android phones you linked to, are both more expensive and less powerful than the iPhone 5?

If you want AT&T (the only of the big 3 carriers in the US who support the Nexus 4), the Nexus 4 is $100 more expensive than the iPhone 5 ($150 more expensive if you want to match the 16GB that the iPhone 5 comes with standard), while again being significantly less powerful, and slower without LTE. It won't matter that you bought the Nexus 4 unsubsidized either, because your monthly phone bill won't go down.

In all of these scenarios, the iPhone 5 is both cheaper and more powerful. The only situation where the Nexus 4 can be cheaper, is if you take it to a prepaid carrier, assuming they have coverage in your area (no prepaid carrier has more coverage than AT&T or Verizon), and won't throw you off without warning for using too much data.

So yes, especially when you consider it is the cheapest option of all the phones you just mentioned, and also the fastest/most powerful, the iPhone 5 is definitely "worth it".

Oh boy here we go. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. "The iPhone 5 is faster and more powerful" have you completely lost your mind. You are now out your league. Go to YouTube please and watch the videos for the iphone 5 and nexus 4 and then come back and tell me that the iphone 5 is faster and more powerful. These 2 phones are neck and neck. You really have no idea what you are talking about. You take whatever Tim Cook says as truth. Do some research please before you ever quote me again and come with completely false statements.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You make me laugh. It is a smartphone and it is $299.00. Like I said before the flagship android phones start out at $299 like the galaxy nexus. Now they are a year old so they go down. You can put the Note II in what ever field you want I don't care.

Ok. Neither do I. Me personally, I'd expect to pay more for a device such as the Note and Note II. And my opinion doesn't matter.

Moving on.....

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

----------

Oh boy here we go. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. "The iPhone 5 is faster and more powerful" have you completely lost your mind. You are now out your league. Go to YouTube please and watch the videos for the iphone 5 and nexus 4 and then come back and tell me that the iphone 5 is faster and more powerful. These 2 phones are neck and neck. You really have no idea what you are talking about. You take whatever Tim Cook says as truth. Do some research please before you ever quote me again and come with completely false statements.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review/2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review/3

Benchmark after benchmark shows the iPhone 5 performs better and has better battery life (way way way better battery life) than the Nexus 4. I know you're just going to dismiss by claiming you saw some video where Angry Birds ran .2 milliseconds faster on the Nexus 4, but Anandtech.com is the top benchmarking site in the world and according to them it's not even close. The Nexus 4 is a good phone, but the iPhone 5 smacks the poop out of it in every category (I know...I know, you saw a youtube video). Hell, the difference in battery life alone makes the iPhone 5 a no brainer over the Nexus 4. Please do some research before you start spouting stupid s***.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review/2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review/3

Benchmark after benchmark shows the iPhone 5 performs better and has better battery life (way way way better battery life) than the Nexus 4. I know you're just going to dismiss by claiming you saw some video where Angry Birds ran .2 milliseconds faster on the Nexus 4, but Anandtech.com is the top benchmarking site in the world and according to them it's not even close. The Nexus 4 is a good phone, but the iPhone 5 smacks the poop out of it in every category (I know...I know, you saw a youtube video). Hell, the difference in battery life alone makes the iPhone 5 a no brainer over the Nexus 4. Please do some research before you start spouting stupid s***.

So you just gave me benchmarks on battery life and that is how you are going to tell me the iphone 5 blows the nexus 4 out of the water are you joking me? Battery that is all you have?
Also who the crap cares about benchmarks? I care about real world use. Which is why I point at videos not benchmarks.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
So you just gave me benchmarks on battery life and that is how you are going to tell me the iphone 5 blows the nexus 4 out of the water are you joking me? Battery that is all you have?

OMG...did you even fricking look at those links. They did about 20 benchmarks and iPhone 5 came out on top of the Nexus 4 on almost every single one of them (actually it may have been every single one of them). It wasn't just battery life you moron...it was everything...they tested everything and the iPhone 5 was far superior to the Nexus 4.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
OMG...did you even fricking look at those links. They did about 20 benchmarks and iPhone 5 came out on top of the Nexus 4 on almost every single one of them (actually it may have been every single one of them). It wasn't just battery life you moron...it was everything...they tested everything and the iPhone 5 was far superior to the Nexus 4.

Look at my modified post. No one cares about benchmarks unless you are a tech geek. I care about real world use. Try those am then come back.

If you want to use use benchmark then how about take into account that the iphone 5 is using a dumb down OS that is from 2007.

Last edited:

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Look at my modified post. No one cares about benchmarks unless you are a tech geek. I care about real world use. Try those am then come back.

You don't think having 3-5 hours more battery life is a real world Issue? You don't think LTE verse 3g is a legit issue? You don't think the fact that the iPhone uses a more stable OS than the Nexus 4 is a real world issue (http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...jor-issues-plaguing-googles-newest-release/)? You're right, if you ignore all of those things and ignore the fact that the 5 is faster (per benchmarks) than the N4, then I'm sure the N4 is a better phone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
So lets clean this up a bit and go back to the real reason I started this thread in the first place. Is The iphone and its hype from Apple and other worth it? The way Apple prices them they do believe they are far superior than other smartphone. Weigh in please.

You hate the company, and yet you admit you are buying their products.

That seems to speak for itself. Whatever they're doing, they must be doing it right if you continue to fork over your credit card. So yes, it's worth it.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
You don't think having 3-5 hours more battery life is a real world Issue? You don't think LTE verse 3g is a legit issue? You don't think the fact that the iPhone uses a more stable OS than the Nexus 4 is a real world issue (http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...jor-issues-plaguing-googles-newest-release/)? You're right, if you ignore all of those things and ignore the fact that the 5 is faster (per benchmarks) than the N4, then I'm sure the N4 is a better phone.

You call it a more stable OS I call it a dumb down OS from 2007.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You call it a more stable OS I call it a dumb down OS from 2007.

Yeah, definitely trolling. The only arrogance here is that the OP insists that he and ONLY he can be right, while everyone who disagrees with him is wrong and engaging in ad hominem attacks. Not to mention how much the actions of people who have no effect whatsoever in his life chaps his hide SO MUCH.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah, definitely trolling. The only arrogance here is that the OP insists that he and ONLY he can be right, while everyone who disagrees with him is wrong and engaging in ad hominem attacks..

You are correct. I have been having fun with this, but I'm finally getting exhausted with this guy. He's just here to piss people off. This is my last entry to this thread.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Yeah, definitely trolling. The only arrogance here is that the OP insists that he and ONLY he can be right, while everyone who disagrees with him is wrong and engaging in ad hominem attacks. Not to mention how much the actions of people who have no effect whatsoever in his life chaps his hide SO MUCH.

I pretty sure that goes both ways. None of you want to agree either. Everything I say is wrong and you have an answer for it. I was not even the one that brought up the nexus 4 am I?

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Ok so I am a long time buyer of Apple products and notice I did not say fan. I had the iphone 3G then the iphone 4. I also have a MacBook and an ipad 2. While I like the products Apple has as a company I am not too fond of. After I was tired of my iphone 4 I got an android phone and had several before getting the iphone 5 which is what I am using currently.

I wanted to give you some back ground before I went into my rant or whatever you want to call it. Ok so I have heard it many times from people the phrase " iPhone *******" and really did not think that much of it. I am really starting to understand why they would say that. After seeing 3 or 4 iphone keynotes over the iPhones lifetime it seems Apple has this mind set of look at how great we are. Why did Steve Jobs and now Tim Cook have to tell us every time how many apps have been paid for and downloaded, and how many apps there are in the App Store. We all know how big the App Store is and how they sell a ton them. Also they point out how the iphone they are holding in there hand is the best smartphone ever made and nothing can come close. Then they decide they need to show us how well the last iphone sold. Why just let us decide with our money how awesome the iphone is. It just has that douche bag mind set of greatness. Now I am not saying that Apple should not get praised for there great products, but let other people do that not do it yourself it come off like you are an A**hole. Customers who buy the iphone get roped into that same category.

I am not saying that being called an iphone ***** is something to keep someone from buying an iphone. Just think about why you are buying an iphone. Is it because you love the phone and the feature it brings or are you buying into the mind set of look how cool I am I got an iphone. I mean people go out of the way to get a case that shows the apple logo.

I am not saying every owner of an iPhone is like this, but we get grouped into that category when we do buy them. Stereotypes have to start from something, and this one is one of the many that have enough evidence to back it. It just makes me hate Apple and what they state for even more. I am sure most of the comments I get want help me like them any more either.

So don't watch the key notes and you will never see any of this because this is actually not how Apple advertises? Did I just solve your issue with some common sense?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
So don't watch the key notes and you will never see any of this because this is actually not how Apple advertises? Did I just solve your issue with some common sense?

I mean your are the first person to not seem completely blow away that I would say anything bad about Apple. I guess I should stop watching the keynotes. I like tech a lot so I keep up with this stuff. I guess I should know where not to post and that is not here. I like to suggest different opinions.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Or.. in many markets consumers aren't paying those "massive margins". Carriers are.

But the carriers in those cases charge their customers, making people mad at the carriers for being expensive.

And, of course, most people that choose to pay more for an Apple device do so because of the features. Not the logo. The whole "overpriced" argument is just silly.

Of course? I can't see which features that could defend the much higher price. I'm pretty sure most iPhone users don't know about/know how to use half of the features of the iPhone. The average iPhone user don't know the difference in features between an iPhone and an Android phone. I believe the average iPhone user has bought their phone based on that they've heard iPhones are the best and the higher price would also suggest that.

----------

When did Apple ever use it's profit margin as a sales pitch?

I might use some words in the wrong context since I'm not English speaking (Swedish), but I believe that the fact they are often "showing off" their huge margins when saying how great they are and how well they are doing is a way of making people buy their phones or be extra proud of owning one.

I just meant that In my mind I think it's strange that to have massive margins on your phones compared to the competition is a good thing for the buyer. To me it's telling me I pay more for an equal product just because it has an Apple on it. Maybe that's just me, but that's my take on it.

Do you think other companies are intentionally charging less for their products than they could otherwise get and remain competitive? Do you think that Apple is somehow immune to realities of the free market or should be despised for the success they've had?

No, they can probably not charge more, because they don't have the same "cult status" or exclusive ring about them. Yes, it seems that Apple is somehow immune to the free market in terms of that they seem to be able to charge much more for an equal product than anyone else and people still buy them like crazy. No, they shouldn't be despised for being successfull. I actually think it's pretty impressive. I just believe that sometime down the road people will wake up and realize that they are paying an overprice for their products. At least if Apple keeps on showboating their huge margins on their products. But once again, that's my opinion and it's very possible that I'm wrong about it.

If you thought your iPhone was overpriced, why did you buy it?

My company bought it for me. I would never pay $920 of my own for it. But I was interested in learning more about the iPhones, iOS and the Apple eco system. At work I help most of our employees with their cell phone problems, helping them setting up syncing etc. Being a long time Android user I know that system, but was a complete novice when people with iPhones came to get help.

I had also my own share of misconceptions about iOS, iTunes etc. and also wanted to find out what's true and what's not.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and I have bought an iPad (which I don't find overpriced compared to the Android pads) myself. I like the eco system. But even though I like the products, I still think the iPhones are overpriced.

----------

Again, in my market, the iPhone is the same price or cheaper than competing smartphones.

If that had been the case in my market, I probably had agreed with you. But here it's not, it's about $200 more than the Android flagships. That's why I believe it's overpriced, here.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Before Apple there was RIM
Before RIM there was Nokia (at least in all the world but US)

A company is as successful as much as they can please their customers.

I was a blackberry user, then an aunt gave me an iPod touch. The iPod touch gave my mom the idea of getting an iPhone. After her iPhone 3GS came another iPhone 4, then we got MBPs, Macs, more iPhones and iPads.

So no, it was not a keynote that gave us the idea. It was the great product which did.

Perhaps next year Android will get a feature or a completely new device that simplify my life will appear, making Apple old news.

Who knows?? All I know right now, is that Apple is give us an ecosystem that meet our demands and that have the best customer services of the entire industry.

I don't care if Samsung Galaxy S4 is implanted directly to the eye. If their customer support system sucks as much as it does now, there is no way in earth I'm switching.

5 years ago I had a Toshiba PC, it had an issue and I sent it to service. Customer service in Mexico told me that since the computer was bought in US, it was impossible to make the warranty valid in any other place in the world, and that I had to pay them 10 dollars for the check up they did.
Last year my MBP had a hard disk failure. I took it to a service center in Prague and without asking a question they fixed it without me having to pay a cent.

Ask me when will I buy another Toshiba laptop???

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Couldn't believe my ears listening to 1-16-13 MacBreak Weekly...

At some of the things I was listening to the guests talk about...

Leo's using a Galaxy Note 2 and loving it, and is grumbling that Apple should release a similar device.

Andy is trying to move some of his note taking functionality onto 3rd party apps like Dropbox, and is concerned about the walled garden approach to keeping data trapped within it, and MacOS/iOS's lack of flexibility.

Adam Engst mentioning that iOS is the oldest mobile mainstream mobile os around. Other commentators stating that Android has 'lapped' it, that Apple has been short on innovation lately, etc. Brief discussion if there was consumer backlash at the conversion to the lightning connector and Apple's adapter pricing. Couldn't believe my ears at some of the comments made by these long term Mac commentators and enthusiasts.

Was this three guys in a pissy mood that week, or is some of the gild coming off of Apple's lily?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Before Apple there was RIM
Before RIM there was Nokia (at least in all the world but US)

A company is as successful as much as they can please their customers.

I was a blackberry user, then an aunt gave me an iPod touch. The iPod touch gave my mom the idea of getting an iPhone. After her iPhone 3GS came another iPhone 4, then we got MBPs, Macs, more iPhones and iPads.

So no, it was not a keynote that gave us the idea. It was the great product which did.

Perhaps next year Android will get a feature or a completely new device that simplify my life will appear, making Apple old news.

Who knows?? All I know right now, is that Apple is give us an ecosystem that meet our demands and that have the best customer services of the entire industry.

I don't care if Samsung Galaxy S4 is implanted directly to the eye. If their customer support system sucks as much as it does now, there is no way in earth I'm switching.

5 years ago I had a Toshiba PC, it had an issue and I sent it to service. Customer service in Mexico told me that since the computer was bought in US, it was impossible to make the warranty valid in any other place in the world, and that I had to pay them 10 dollars for the check up they did.
Last year my MBP had a hard disk failure. I took it to a service center in Prague and without asking a question they fixed it without me having to pay a cent.

Ask me when will I buy another Toshiba laptop???

I will agree with you on almost everything you said. I was blown away by Apple products like the iphone and ipad, but now I don't think Apple is blowing away the others. I think android is very close and in a some ways better. Hey again it is really just all about what you like better and I wanted people to say why they liked things not why I was wrong for not lovig everything about Apple.

The one thing I would disagree with you on is there customer support. Now yes they are better than a lot of companies but they still need a lot of work. So you get a 1 year warranty when you buy an iphone, but that only means you can call apple care twice. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I don't live near an Apple store at all, so if I have something that goes wrong I want to ask about it first before I have to make a day trip a an apple store. So yea they might do a lot for you if you can get to an Apple store, but you can just pick up the phone.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
You sound like you're from a non-English speaking country in Europe, forgive me if I'm wrong. I know that Apple bashing is a widespread hobby in the European lands of Linux coders and software-freedom fighters. I'm fairly sure that every Android user has their own distinct philosophy on iPhone users, this has regularly been confirmed to me. They'll assume you're a technophobe, they'll assume you're trying to compensate for something by choosing an Apple handset, they'll assume you're a fashion victim, a brain-dead consumerist freak, and about half a dozen other, and equally negative things. I've been wondering for a while now why the myth of the Apple fanatic is holding up so well in Europe, seeing as Android users have most definitely overtaken Apple fanboys in rabid bashing and blanket assumption making a long time ago, presumably somewhere around Gingerbread.
I clearly remember a debate I had with someone like that on some news forum, I actually succeeded into shaming him for his Android handset because it's not StallmanApprovedFreedom, telling him he needs to get Replicant ASAP, and he actually agreed. Clearly, the wind blows from a different direction over here. ;)

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
You sound like you're from a non-English speaking country in Europe, forgive me if I'm wrong. I know that Apple bashing is a widespread hobby in the European lands of Linux coders and software-freedom fighters. I'm fairly sure that every Android user has their own distinct philosophy on iPhone users, this has regularly been confirmed to me. They'll assume you're a technophobe, they'll assume you're trying to compensate for something by choosing an Apple handset, they'll assume you're a fashion victim, a brain-dead consumerist freak, and about half a dozen other, and equally negative things. I've been wondering for a while now why the myth of the Apple fanatic is holding up so well in Europe, seeing as Android users have most definitely overtaken Apple fanboys in rabid bashing and blanket assumption making a long time ago, presumably somewhere around Gingerbread.
I clearly remember a debate I had with someone like that on some news forum, I actually succeeded into shaming him for his Android handset because it's not StallmanApprovedFreedom, telling him he needs to get Replicant ASAP, and he actually agreed. Clearly, the wind blows from a different direction over here. ;)
You mean the elitist hypocrites who think they are superior for not having an apple device, i think i know who you are talking about. They seem like they are a bunch of 12 year olds.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012

So please shame me! Tell me how android has not caught up with Apple please. No one here has a a leg to stand on. I just want Apple user to admit that IOS is old and needs a refresh to keep up with android. Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.