Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I am getting sick of the slowness of my iPhone 4S but don't like the extended length of the 5

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Ha ha truth truth at first the 5 felt weird now the 4S feels fat weird how a phone the look amazing 5 months ago now feels fat :/

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Is the 4s that slow to make you sick of it? It wasn't that bad for me last year.

The iPhone 5 doesn't feel awkward at all after a couple days. If anything, the weight was the biggest change for me.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
A day or two and it'll seem like there's never been a 3.5" iPhone :) Plus like someone mentioned, with the size/weight reduction what little you +do+ feel of it ... feels great :D

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
If you don't like the longer iPhone 5, you will after about a month. When you go back to looking at the iPhone 4S it's almost unbelievable how small it really is.

You think, "I used to use that?"

You really do.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I like my iPhone 5 but I still think the original iPhone had the best feel.
005.JPG
This is my original 2007 iPhone 8GB. I love it.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
We have 3 iPhone 4's in our household, and my daughters boyfriend recently got himself an iPhone 5. Comparing the 2 I prefer the feel of the 5.

jkauff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
If you think the iPhone 5 is awkward, go to a phone store and try out some Android phones. This is my first Apple product, and I deliberately chose it because of the size, weight, workmanship, and screen quality compared to various Android models. It fits my hand perfectly, and it's so thin and light I can carry it in my shirt pocket, which I always do. If I tried that with my wife's Samsung, I'd rip the pocket in no time.

Give it a try. I think you'll not only find it not awkward after you use it a bit, but will agree with me that it's a beautiful piece of design and engineering.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
After about a week, I was used to the larger screen size of my iPhone 5. I also have a 4th gen iPod Touch and I adjust pretty quickly to the smaller screen size whenever I use it.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It felt a little awkward the first few days but I've gotten used to it now. I was playing with my girlfriend's iPhone 4 the other day and it felt short and stubby. Surprisingly I've even gotten used to the headphone jack being on the bottom.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
If you think the iPhone 5 is awkward, go to a phone store and try out some Android phones. This is my first Apple product, and I deliberately chose it because of the size, weight, workmanship, and screen quality compared to various Android models. It fits my hand perfectly, and it's so thin and light I can carry it in my shirt pocket, which I always do. If I tried that with my wife's Samsung, I'd rip the pocket in no time.
I did exactly that a couple weeks ago and came away feeling that the iPhone was the one I would want least of the bunch if I was buying new. There are some very nice high-end Android/Windows 8 phones out there.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend carrying any $700 phone in your shirt pocket. :eek:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I loved my iPhone 3.

Then after a week with an iPhone 4 my old 3 felt like a bar of soap.

I loved my iPhone 4.

Then after a week with an iPhone 5 my old 4 feels short and heavy.

I'm anticipating the day when my iPhone 5 will feel weird. I can tell you when it will happen: 1 week after getting my next iPhone.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I did exactly that a couple weeks ago and came away feeling that the iPhone was the one I would want least of the bunch if I was buying new. There are some very nice high-end Android/Windows 8 phones out there.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend carrying any $700 phone in your shirt pocket. :eek:

Shirt pocket is where I carry mine. You will love the 5, really is not that much bigger then the 4 but you will love the extra screen room

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I never felt it was awkward, they shortened the black areas on the top and bottom, so the size change was not extremely noticeable. I had the Droid X and thought that was a bit awkward at first.

The big reason I upgraded from the 4S was I wanted that LTE and I got what I wanted, that was where the true speed difference has been felt. When I mess with my wife's iPhone 4 I don't really find myself noticing the screen size being much smaller, but when I am on the web in landscape on my 5 I definitely appreciate the 5.

jkauff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Don't worry, it's in a rubberized sleeve that keeps it from falling out even if I'm completely bent over picking up pennies off the sidewalk. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.